Sorting Out Elric
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:14 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Gnat, this looks a little like your set?

I do believe that this is the same game, just different artwork.  The one he has was published by Avalon Hill.  The one you referred was published by Chaosium.  I think there was an earlier version that came in a plastic bag but I dont know who published it.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:36 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I think there was an earlier version that came in a plastic bag but I dont know who published it.

There was a ziplock bag version.  It was also published by Chaosium.  (There's a picture of it over on Greg Stafford's page: http://www.weareallus.com/chaosium/boardgames.html#Elric,%201977)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:49 pm 

g026r wrote:
There was a ziplock bag version.  It was also published by Chaosium.  (There's a picture of it over on Greg Stafford's page: http://www.weareallus.com/chaosium/boardgames.html#Elric,%201977)

I posted a picture of one a little while back as well:

viewtopic.php?p=149655&highlight=elric#149655

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:49 pm 

The Avalon Hill version of Elric is worth about $10 to $25 depending on condition.  Shipping will also be a bitch.

The Chaosium version of Elric is worth $20 to $40, depending on condition and who is bidding.  And...shipping will be a bitch.

No idea about the plastic bag version.  Watch out that you don't just get one of the other versions...placed in plastic bag.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:26 pm 

http://catalog.chaosium.com/index.php?c ... 5f67a5a245

For those of you who are interested at all in collecting the various Elric and Stormbringer games, YOU NEED TO HIT THIS LINK.

This is a link to the Chaosium company catalog, where they have been selling off the last of their Stormbringer and Elric items for some time.

First, it is $5 for the D20 Melnibone book....which is a fun read, has great art and is really one of my favorite D20 books. (Fans of the Chaosium games did not like it just because it was stylish to disdain the D20 system.)

But, more importantly, Chaosium is selling the last of the Corum RPG books that you are likely to find in captivity for $24.99.

If you know anything about collecting then you know that those who do not get one of these will regret it.  

(*cough* Castle Zagyg: Upper Works *cough*)

As soon as Chaosium runs out of Corum the only way to get a copy will be to buy one on Ebay for $100+, Amazon for $200+ or go to Australia and beg Liam Route for one of his copies.

I shouldn't be telling you about this - I should just be buying one copy a month for myself until they are gone.

FYI

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:22 pm 

FormCritic wrote:(*cough* Castle Zagyg: Upper Works *cough*)

You should get that cough checked out! It might be more serious than you think :)

btw, I think ThereIzOne on this site who has some art from that Dragon Lords of Melnibone D20 manual, if I'm not mistaken...(repurposed from an earlier Elric manual?)
about8825-0-asc-100.html

Edit: oops, I'm wrong. That piece (about 1/4 way down) is from the earlier Elric core rulebook in the early 90's, and was not re-purposed into the D20 manual. Some of the other art was, though.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:10 pm 

FormCritic wrote:http://catalog.chaosium.com/index.php?c ... 5f67a5a245

For those of you who are interested at all in collecting the various Elric , YOU NEED TO HIT THIS LINK.

First, it is $5 for the D20 Melnibone book....which is a fun read, has great art and is really one of my favorite D20 books.

:(   Can I do a deal with someone on getting me one of those, as shipping to the UK doesn't seem to work as its giving a total of $33?
Can't go wrong for $5 for the book, but that is a killer, as I've purchased three D20 books from an ebay seller for a total of $14 shipping!!  

PM me if you can please  8)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:55 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:
:(   Can I do a deal with someone on getting me one of those, as shipping to the UK doesn't seem to work as its giving a total of $33?
Can't go wrong for $5 for the book, but that is a killer, as I've purchased three D20 books from an ebay seller for a total of $14 shipping!!  

PM me if you can please  8)

PM Sent!

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:27 pm 

FormCritic wrote:http://catalog.chaosium.com/index.php?c ... 5f67a5a245

For those of you who are interested at all in collecting the various Elric and Stormbringer games, YOU NEED TO HIT THIS LINK.

Thanks for the heads-up Mark, got my Corum on the way :) (plus a few Cthulhu titles I just need the excuse to buy) - Thanks!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:29 pm 

FormCritic wrote:If you know anything about collecting then you know that those who do not get one of these will regret it.  

(*cough* Castle Zagyg: Upper Works *cough*)

As soon as Chaosium runs out of Corum the only way to get a copy will be to buy one on Ebay for $100+, Amazon for $200+ or go to Australia and beg Liam Route for one of his copies.

I'm sure its a fine book and all that, but do you honestly believe that this book will have near the lasting impact as a collectible that CZ: Upper Works has already had?  Or did you help write Corum?  If that is the case then maybe I can understand the gushing comparison between it and CZ: UW.  :roll:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 pm 

Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works was a product that I actually did gush about, at some length.

There were, in fact, a number of people on the Acaeum who were similarly sarcastic about that project.

The comparison was not between Corum and The Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works

The comparison was to the lost collecting opportunity of Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works.

The entire Castle Zagyg project was discussed at length...and its collecting value was especially well driven home here on the Acaeum.  Even so, many here did not acquire a copy even though the item was on the market at the Troll Lord Games website for almost a year.  The cover price was actually quite low for a boxed set of that density, quality and history:  $45.  

The urgency of collecting a copy at that price should have been pie-in-the-face obvious.  It should have been even more obvious given the precarious health of E. Gary Gygax, which was well known to anyone paying attention here on the Acaeum.

Further, if one is reading a strand called "Sorting Out Elric," the presumption might be made that one is interested in collecting the Stormbringer/Elric line.  

Accordingly, not collecting Corum at this juncture would be a folly equal to ignoring the Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works sale.

While it is a niche market, within the niche of Chaosium collectors this is an item that some here are likely to kick themselves for not acquiring at a price at or near cover price.

As for the $100 and $200 prices quoted, consider the current online prices of products like The Great Pendragon Campaign or the various Necromancer Games products.  Consider the prices of other Chaosium products now sought after by collectors.

And as for the gaming merit of the product dictating the relative collecting value of a product...well...a majority of the most sought-after collectibles are and always were nearly useless as gaming products.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 am 

I'll point out that the Elric D20 books can be had for cheaper on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0180264171

Why these don't sell for more, I'm not sure.

Any guesses to the print run size of Corum?

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:10 am 

Mars wrote:I'll point out that the Elric D20 books can be had for cheaper on Ebay:

Why these don't sell for more, I'm not sure.

Any guesses to the print run size of Corum?

No idea about the print run size for Corum, except that I'd guess since it was contracted out to an Aussie company (Darcsyde) it might be fairly small. I picked my copy up about a year ago off eBay for $20 US, I think, when someone posted it in the Interesting non-TSR Items thread here (and I didn't pop on that for about a week after I saw the post).

The quality of the product is about on a par with other Stormbringer books (i.e., pretty good). The artwork is simply terrible, though, except for the front cover illustration which is kick-ass. The map is...let's say speculative, to be nice. Since there was never a map in any of the editions of Moorcock's Corum books, that is understandable.

As far as future collectibility or value, who knows? The Hawkmoon boxed set does okay, I guess. Stormbringer/Elric completists will have to have one, of course, but how many of those are there (I'm not one, just have the Stormbringer 5th and Corum books as world references)? Probably in the scores, worldwide. Much fewer than Greyhawk/Gygax enthusiasts.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:30 am 

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:40 am 

FormCritic wrote:

BIN vs open auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0604279599

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 am 

Mars wrote:

BIN vs open auction:

Wow.  Nice win!  Were you the winner, Mars?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:48 am 

FormCritic wrote:Wow.  Nice win!  Were you the winner, Mars?

No not mine.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:05 am 

FormCritic wrote:
Wow.  Nice win!  Were you the winner, Mars?

That was me.  Light wear, but not bad.  Replaces a perfect-except-for-price-sticker-I-don't-like copy.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

PreviousNext