Sorting Out Elric
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:46 pm 

The spat between Chaosium and Moorcock is part of my interest in the topic.

Understandably, Chaosium has proven reticent on the matter.

I'll believe the Elric movie when I see it.

I have a suspicion that it will end up on the hands of the usual movie suspects.......

.....And then we'll get an Elric movie where the hero fights "to defend the balance of nature" with the help of a kid, a Wayans brother and a female warrior (there might even a robot to help out).  

.....The producers and director won't understand or respect the fantasy genre and we'll have something about as good as Dungeons and Dragons.

.....Elric will be played by Leonardo D'Caprio, or someone else incredibly unsuited....possibly Alicia Silverstone.

.....The morons who make these films will (again) fail to understand that "story" and "special effects" are not, not, not the same thing.

.....The supporting characters will turn out to be muscle men in loincloths with horned helmets...possibly carrying huge wooden mallets, or wielding other weapons so unlikely as to be impossible to pick up, much less use in battle.  

.....They will get the entire point of the story so wrong that we'll end up with a movie about as logical as Underworld, with a hip-hop soundtrack and the whole thing will be a metaphor about how we must work together to save the dragons, stop global chaos-ing, and prevent evil and exploitative Chaos Republicans from destroying the Voormoosh Rain Forest.

.....The result will be a mishmash that is worthless to adults and forbidden to children.

Anyway...not that I have bad expectations, or anything.   :P

Mark     8)

(Yes...there was one Lord of the Rings.  But, there have also been many many many  Highlander II's...and even Sting could not save Dune.)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:46 pm 

....Oh....and Elric will be gay.

Mark   8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:17 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:The spat between Chaosium and Moorcock is part of my interest in the topic.

I'll believe the Elric movie when I see it.

I have a suspicion that it will end up on the hands of the usual movie suspects.......

.....And then we'll get an Elric movie where the hero fights "to defend the balance of nature" with the help of a kid, a Wayans brother and a female warrior (there might even a robot to help out).  

.....The producers and director won't understand or respect the fantasy genre and we'll have something about as good as Dungeons and Dragons.

.....Elric will be played by Leonardo D'Caprio, or someone else incredibly unsuited....possibly Alicia Silverstone.

.....The morons who make these films will (again) fail to understand that "story" and "special effects" are not, not, not the same thing.

.....The supporting characters will turn out to be muscle men in loincloths with horned helmets...possibly carrying huge wooden mallets, or wielding other weapons so unlikely as to be impossible to pick up, much less use in battle.  

.....They will get the entire point of the story so wrong that we'll end up with a movie about as logical as Underworld, with a hip-hop soundtrack and the whole thing will be a metaphor about how we must work together to save the dragons, stop global chaos-ing, and prevent evil and exploitative Chaos Republicans from destroying the Voormoosh Rain Forest.

.....The result will be a mishmash that is worthless to adults and forbidden to children.

Anyway...not that I have bad expectations, or anything.   :P

Mark     8)

(Yes...there was one Lord of the Rings.  But, there have also been many many many  Highlander II's...and even Sting could not save Dune.)

I so agree with all of that. I had the same concerns when I first heard they were doing LotR. It is something I would like to see done but it may be better if it were to never get done. The best thing that might happen would be that the Sci-Fi channel do it as a series (not a movie....their movies suck). I am thinking a series where they give the level of effort they do in BS:G. This would help as the story is serialized anyway. Another option would be an animated movie....come on they are getting better.

Finally if a live action movie were to be made I am not sure I would want to meet the actors that could do the characters credit.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:26 pm 

Mike has made a few comments in the past on Moorcocks Weekly Miscellany - he'll discuss it as far as legalities will allow, but you can tell that he's distinctly not chuffed about what they did with his material.  The Multiverse is expected to be up again shortly, by the way, in a new incarnation - it's in testing mode right now.

I have a suspicion that it will end up on the hands of the usual movie suspects......

Mike has also discussed this at some length on MWM - he's being very protective of his material and has extensive control over the script and other elements.  Doesn't mean that they might not still make a dog, but it lowers the possibility.  Also, the recent trend towards more literate renditions of fantasy and comic book characters offers some hope.

....Oh....and Elric will be gay

All fantasy heroes are gay, or at least bisexual.  Anyway, can you imagine how hot Elric and Moonglum would look hanging out in gay clubs?  An albino and a redhead?  Va Va Voom!  Book me a 3-way.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:51 am 

Quite humorous...and disturbing...Marinagh.

Moorcock may watch over the movie...but....

Frank Herbert was deeply involved in watching over Dune and look what happened.....

I am not sanquine about the possiblities.  It would be nice to see something done right for a change.

I agree with Marlith that Elric would make a good series...since it is written that way.

If the Sci Fi Channel could do even close to what they have done with Battlestar Galactica (transform the story of good-looking Mormons in space into a legitimate and adult action drama)...well...I would be SO happy.

The odds are against it.

Mark   8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:05 pm 

Frank Herbert was deeply involved in watching over Dune and look what happened.....
He'd probably never seen Eraserhead....

I'm not convinced that Dune is that bad.  It certainly is clearly stamped by Lynch's presence, but his original cut (without the tedious prologue) didn't pander to the viewer and for when it was made it was a pretty ambitious attempt at scifi.  

good-looking Mormons in space
:lol:

The Elric story arc is certainly one of the best fantasy stories out there and it'll work best in the hands of a director that can portray the human (or rather, Melnibonean) element as strongly as the fantasy milieu.  The X-Men films are a good example of a fantastical story done correctly.  The central issues are not so much the incredible powers of the protaganists, but what is the underlying metaphor and human issue.  In the same way, much of the Elric saga is metaphor about what it means to be alien, torn between duty and emotion, free will and destiny.  Conveying the complexity of the relationship between Elric, Stormbringer and Arioch, not to mention Cymoril and his human pals, has to be more important than the battles and flying dragons.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:29 pm 

Human (or inhuman) emotion is always more interesting than special effects.

That's what has lifted the current Battlestar Galactica out of its formerly stupid roots.  They managed to take the same basic neo-Mormon background but add great characters, real drama and pose it all against the basic premise:  "What if the Cylons came back, only this time they were really horney?"

Mark   8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:51 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I'll believe the Elric movie when I see it.

Same here. I am hugely skeptical about a single camera ever rolling.

+++++

Oh, responding to some of the above speculation, it seems pretty obvious to me that Tom Cruise would be perfect for Elric. :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:00 am 

Tom Cruise

Great script potential.

Moonglum: "Dammit Elric!  Your ego's writing checks your body can't cash!"

Elric: "I love you. You... complete me. "
Cymoril: "Shut up. Just shut up. You had me at "hello"."

Dyvim Tvar: "You can be my wingman any time."
Elric: "Bullsh**. You can be mine."

Elric: "Moonglum, all dragons have crashed at one time or another, that doesn't mean that they are not safe. "
Moonglum: "Flamefang. Flamefang never crashed. "
Elric: "Flamefang? "
Moonglum: "Never crashed."
Elric: "Oh that's gonna do me a lot of good because Flamefang doesn't fly to Karlaak out of The Isle of the Purple Towns, you have to get to Melnibone! Melnibone, The Dragon Isle, in order to get the dragon that flies to Karlaak!"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:39 pm 

Quoted from another thread, even more relevant here:

grodog wrote:Heretics! I shall send Bishop Beesley and Gaynor the Damned to drag you blashpemers to the Seventh Dark :D :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:29 pm 

OK -

I visited the Mongoose Publishing website last night and found that Elric has once again given us the slip.  8O

There is no mention of the Elric products Mongoose put out for Runequest.  It's like they never existed.  :?

So, am I just really bad at navigating a web page, or is there something new in the Elric/Stormbringer/Eternal Champion/Corum licensing saga?  :?:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:08 am 

AFAIK what it is is that the previous publications in the Elric of Melnibone line were for the first edition of Mongoose's version RuneQuest.  With the second edition having been released a few months ago, they've stopped listing the 1st ed. products on their site.  (There used to be more Lankhmar books, for instance.)

Then again, something may have happened with the licence once more, but last time I saw Lawrence Whitaker posting anywhere it still sounded like he was working on on a new version for the 2nd ed.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:04 pm 

I have noticed a drop in the price of the Mongoose Elric-related items lately.

Down in Portland I saw them discounted by 30% at Bridgetown Hobbies.  Some of the Ebay auctions have been quite low as well.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:43 pm 

I know you guys are discussing a different sort of Elric collection of games.
But I have this Elric Box Game and wonder if any of you can tell me a value for it?
Also wondered if any of you can direct me to a place or person where I can get a copy of the Rule Book (This set was missing the rule book).

Avalon Hill Bookcase Board Game.

Elric.

ImageImage

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:42 am 

John,

If I can find a copy of the rulebook in my boxed set, it's yours.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:52 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote:John,

If I can find a copy of the rulebook in my boxed set, it's yours.

Thanks.
I found a little info at BoardGameGeek, but not much.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/4914/elric

Avalon Hills cover box top....

and

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/389041/elric

Reference sheet (2nd link) looks like something good to have but that might be for a different set.
I think I can see a Chaosium address/copyright on the face of the sheet in the picture...

However, it appears that three different game publishers had a game Elric; each set having varying rules and components of course.
So, I am confused about what goes with which set.

The Avalon Hill set I have has no contents list on the box and nothing inside with such a list either.
And so, I have no clue what else might be missing, though the instructions obviously are missing.
A copy (xerox) of the rules booklet would be nice to have for a start. 8)

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:32 am 

You can also find some questions answered and rule variants at webgrognards

http://grognard.com/titlee.html

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:47 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:You can also find some questions answered and rule variants at webgrognards

http://grognard.com/titlee.html

Excellent.
THANKS Jason!

PreviousNext