The Lords of Chaos
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:50 pm 

Here's something kind of fun. It's called The Lords of Chaos and dates from June 28, 1980

I don't know much about fanzines, other than there seems to be many of them. TLOC appears to be related to Runequest and D&D, and is made up of submissions from interested parties. What caught my eye were some of the names of the contributors and the contributions associated with them:

Steve Perrin (small response to editor)
Kathryn Shapero (Spaced Out in the Final Frontier)
Nicolai Shapero (Runes in Space)
John Sapienza Jr. (Different Worlds/The Runequest Supplement)
Sheldon Linker (Mithril)
Wayne Shaw (Outlaw Rune #1, Cults of Paraglor)
George Cole (Letter regarding Runes in Space)
Steve Marsh, with an address in Provo, Utah (Letter about SF gaming systems)

Can anyone out there shed some light on this? Thanks.  Happy Holidays!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:10 pm 

Might be an APAzine?

Steve Marsh would probably be a good source for info. He's Ethesis here on the Acaeum...he also has his own question and answer thread over on Dragonsfoot.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:49 pm 

Tis so an APA from the Cali area. Associated with Runequest/Chaosium mostly by geographical location and the closeness of the community in sunny cali at the time.

Looks cool. I need that image.  :wink:

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:46 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:Tis so an APA from the Cali area. Associated with Runequest/Chaosium mostly by geographical location and the closeness of the community in sunny cali at the time.

Looks cool. I need that image. :wink:

Well, Nicolai Shapero was kind of prickly, but bright.  He felt he could do something to compete with The Wild Hunt as an alternative to Alarums & Excursions.

Nicolai tended to a high powered version of D&D (with jokes about demons requiring golf bags full of weapons to fight -- this one takes a +5 weapon, this one is silver, this one non-metallic and no blades, etc.) dungeon crawling.

It was an interesting endeavor.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:48 pm 

And yes, they all seemed to enjoy Runquest as a base for SF gaming in place of Traveller.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:03 pm 

I should note that the first "solid" or real APAzine in D&D was A&E.

It is still going (see http://thestarport.org/xeno/aande.html ), though it is smaller than it was (copy count is down to 95).

Then, the East Coast and Mark Swanson/Glenn Blacow did The Wild Hunt.  In spite of efforts by a lot of us, Glenn died early and Mark never recovered.  I had dropped out before the end, but came back for the memorial issue.  For some reason, my copy of that issue never came (Mark mailed one to me twice, it just didn't get to me).

http://baycon.org/1995/p95/mb6.html for more on Nicolai (I'd forgotten his furry stuff) and Other Suns (which I actually played, and solved a small campaign riddle with my applied economist character).

Wayne Shaw and Ken Pick were also part of that orbit for a while.

http://freelancetraveller.com/features/ ... nesis.html

(You can see they seemed to fold more into Traveller though).

Hmm, makes me wonder what happened to Nicolai.  I'd expect him to still be around somewhere.

Regards,

Stephen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:47 am 

I've got #1-#3 and #5.  (If anyone has a copy of #4 for sale or trade, let me know!  Based on responses in #5, I think Stephen Marsh had an article in that one, and I'd really like to read it.)

It's a lot of fun to read, especially because of the raging discord between "West Coast" and "East Coast" DMing styles.  Of course, having learned to play in Wisconsin, I'm partial to the "Midwest" style, which I think in general is characterized by randomness and very slow advancement; oh, and of course, little or no role-playing.

I think the print run on #1 was about 60.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:09 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:I've got #1-#3 and #5. (If anyone has a copy of #4 for sale or trade, let me know! Based on responses in #5, I think Stephen Marsh had an article in that one, and I'd really like to read it.)

It's a lot of fun to read, especially because of the raging discord between "West Coast" and "East Coast" DMing styles. Of course, having learned to play in Wisconsin, I'm partial to the "Midwest" style, which I think in general is characterized by randomness and very slow advancement; oh, and of course, little or no role-playing.

I think the print run on #1 was about 60.

That's in interesting concept, regional styles. Growin up in the RPG backwaters of Texas in the late 70's, we had no earthly idea what to do anyway, but we had fun.  Roleplaying was mixed in, but man it was all about the numbers and dice rolling.
  So what was the differene between styles?  Did they have "RPG" wars like the rappers did in the 80's and 90's, maybe a couple of drive bys over philosophical differences in the alignment system?  I can just see Gygax and Kuntz wearing doo-rags and low riding past the corner where Arneson and his homies are throwing dice, looking for trouble....

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:34 pm 

Talking of RPG backwaters, I grew up on a little island off the coast of Europe. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:28 pm 

Regionalism did play a role in the early days of FRPG.  It would make a very interesting study, but the number of interviews one would have to conduct would probably make it a Herculean project.  But we do have some indications that regionalism was a consideration:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:43 pm 

Wow, that's cool. Thanks for putting that up. What year was that? 1976?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:14 pm 

Yep.  It's from the Sept.-Oct. 1976 issue of Little Wars.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:04 pm 

Does anyone here still subscribe to Alarums and Excursions?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:46 pm 

I still participate in A&E. It continues monthly and is one of the more hefty apae I'm active in.

Shapero's still in the Los Angeles area, and I found the first five issues of The Lords of Chaos on Scribd. It was new to me, and I first learned of it from Ian Livingstone's book _Dicing with Dragons_.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:57 pm 

Fantastic thread necromancy, especially for a first post!
And two posts from TFM during his brief dalliance with the hobby.
I hope FormCritic's heart wasn't broken over waiting 16 years for a response to his query.

Shrink is not a condition