Game Lords Fakes :/
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:48 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:My gut instinct is that someone is running off fake digests at a copshop and selling them slowly on eBay. Maybe they aren't active anymore, and maybe the 'fakes' are rarer than the real copies.

I can't comment on Taverns, but that Montie Haul is not printed, its photocopied. Now I can't say Gamelords didn't decide to publish photocopies, but I don't see it.

Who was your source for these? You could PM me if you wish. I'm just interested. I picked up a couple of 'fake' fanzines and cross checked with Brette. Mine are definate fakes. I'm just curious about your seller.

You're right. Lou always stuck his stickers over everything. As for PoVQ, we don't know how many fakes are running around out there, and we haven't found a way of confirming whether any are fake, and how to identify them. If there are any fakes, I'd bet on the ones without the two tone grid.

The seller who sold me my copies was dandplayer:

eBay Feedback Profile for dandplayer

Rather than continue to clutter up the Recent FUn FInds Thread, I figured it would be best to start a new one.

The seller that Badmike and I purchased our Compleat Tavern and Monty Haul Dungeon has 1 of each up again. I am starting to get suspicious.

eBay listings

Gamelords THE COMPLEAT TAVERN AD D D D Module RARE | eBay

GAMELORDS AD D D D Phantastic Montie Haul Dungeon RARE | eBay

Any thoughts?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:53 pm 

FWIW, I just queried the seller:

bclarkie wrote:Dear Seller, I purchased one of these items from you several months ago as well as a Compleat Tavern from Gamelords as well. I know of at least one other buyer who also purchased both of these items from you as well. Can you please tell me how you came about so many copies of these items? I have been involved in researching these 2 particular items and these items that you are selling actually do not appear to be authentic and they actually appear top be very well made fakes. Can you please claify how and where you came upon these items? Thanks for your time.

Lets see what kind of response I get. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:28 pm 

I think you're being overly kind...
auction listing wrote:"This adventure does not often appear in the eBay listings. When it does, it often sells for far above the original 1981 price. This particular copy is in NEAR MINT condition. Very rare & hard to find -- the last one on eBay sold for over $30."

So, the last one went for over $30, and yet, he's generously put a BIN of only $9.99 on it?  That just doesn't sound quite right, does it?  (His extensively argumentative and inflexible shipping terms are another big hint that something's not on the level...)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:14 am 

deimos3428 wrote:I think you're being overly kind...
auction listing wrote:"This adventure does not often appear in the eBay listings. When it does, it often sells for far above the original 1981 price. This particular copy is in NEAR MINT condition. Very rare & hard to find -- the last one on eBay sold for over $30."

So, the last one went for over $30, and yet, he's generously put a BIN of only $9.99 on it? That just doesn't sound quite right, does it? (His extensively argumentative and inflexible shipping terms are another big hint that something's not on the level...)

Brian did we spend that much shipping when we bought it?  It doesn't seem like an amount I would readily pay.  Regardless if the item is a "fake' or another printing or a copy, I'm happy with it at the price; however, if this seller is misrepresenting these items as originals when they are not, then that is wrong.  I still can't believe someone would counterfeit these and then only sell them for $10 bucks each....

Mike B.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:12 am 

There are red flags everywhere; this guy is just trying to print $20 bills. Avoid like an infected hooker.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:24 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:There are red flags everywhere; this guy is just trying to print $20 bills. Avoid like an infected hooker.

Infected hooker???

Man that really is something to ignore :lol:  :lol:

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:07 am 

I cannot speak for Complete Tavern, but that Montie Haul looks fake to me. Even if Gamelords were going to reprint in mono, surely they wouldn't xerox the stuff? It's a fake IMO.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:24 am 

Doesn't Tadashie own the rights to Gamelords?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:05 pm 

Thank you very much for this - looks like the items in question have been pulled.

I came to this thread with some trepidation, as I plan to personally list a Complete Tavern, which is complete and original, and with low grade counterfeits running around I feared for my auction's final price!

Thanks again,

Brian "Old Sardul" Collins

Brian "Old Sardul" Collins

http://www.titangames.com

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:19 pm 

I take the unlisting of those two auctions as confirmation that the purple Complete Tavern and Monochrome Montie Hail are indeed fakes. The actions of the seller would seem to indicate that he was aware of this.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:34 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I take the unlisting of those two auctions as confirmation that the purple Complete Tavern and Monochrome Montie Hail are indeed fakes. The actions of the seller would seem to indicate that he was aware of this.

this being the case, top work guys on the research!

this is the kinda stuff which pleases me about the acaeum as it is truly protecting a collector in the best possible way.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:05 pm 

I e-mailed the seller and told him that selling photocopies was illegal and that he was being investigated. No response.
I bluff well.
My condolences to everyone who bought copies from him. Personally I'd go after him.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:17 pm 

They are relisted. what is the difference this time around?

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:44 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:They are relisted. what is the difference this time around?

He's deleted the photos so you can't tell they are fakes. He does say 'you are bidding on a copy of....' so technically he isn't lying. I think someone needs to report this to eBay as breach of copyright. If Tadashi holds the copyright to Gamelords' products maybe Alan could arrange to get this joker shut down before more fakes find their way onto the market.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:38 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:They are relisted. what is the difference this time around?

In addition, it's possible that a blatant listing violation helped take down the original auctions. I reported him for stating that he would not accept credit card payments via PayPal, which (as discussed in another thread) is no longer a decision sellers get to make — if you accept PayPal, you accept anything.

I don't like being the kid that runs to the teacher and tattles, but this guy is just such an obvious buffoon that I couldn't help myself ...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:41 pm 

Actually, I think that might be it:

The Rip-off Artist wrote:PayPal payments are not accepted for any of my auctions because of the fees involved in accepting PayPal

Just one more red flag; now anyone who sends this guy any money will have virtually no recourse when the deal goes into the toilet.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:34 pm 

Well, if it wasnt already pretty evident these are most certainly fake. Being that I still received no reply to my question that I sent last night, and that he had them taken down and had enough time to be able to relist them again, I am assuming no reply is forth coming and therefore that pretty much acknoledges the fact that they are fake. :x

Maybe I will ask again.

Oh and he is also selling a Deities & Demigods w/o the Cthulhu & Melnibonean mythos, but is happily agreeing to sell photo copies of those pages. :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:17 pm 

For convenience, the ones on the left are authentic, the ones on the right are of dubious origin:

The most disturbing thing about these copies, aside from the obvious theft, is that people are paying money for them; in other words, more disturbing fakes are coming. It won't be long until a pristine Tsojconth or a pristine Ghost Tower or Tamoachan shows up. I would be wary of the mint item without provenance, and even then a comparison to a verified copy would be wise. We're lucky with the Gamelords stuff because the later print is obviously the result of an unskilled and careless mentality. A real pro could have done better. It seems a given that as the values increase for the reproducible rares, so will the temptation for larceny.

BTW: For those of you needing a real Montie, Aaron still had some for $4.95 the last time I checked.

Next