Brotherhood of the Bolt (Companions)
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:54 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

Most certainly still at waaaaayyyyyy too much money. However, how rare is this? Anyone been looking for one forever?

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:59 pm 

Oh my God, I bought one months ago for $15. Time to sell.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:06 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:However, how rare is this? Anyone been looking for one forever?

It certainly seems to be harder to get than any of the others. I've seen more Tradervales than BotBs in the last year.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:27 pm 

Brotherhood of the Bolt is a bit harder to find than the others, but wow, that seems pretty high... even higher than the recent shrinked R1 and R2 auctions.  One of the bidders driving up the price is a zero feedback bidder who is probably a newbie who doesn't know better....  :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:59 pm 

Slightly more common than Sacrifices to the Orclord?  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:30 am 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:40 am 

An absolutely idiotic price

recently a set  consisting of

Companion Pieces - Mapping Aids for Adventure Games;

Streets of Gems (Islandian Campaign Series);

Plague of Terror (Islandian Campaign Series);

Brotherhood of the Bolt (Islandian Campaign Series);

Sylvan Settings - Places of Mystery III;

Cards of Power - Treasure Trove I;

Chilling Chambers - Places of Mystery I;

Alluring Alcoves - Places of Mystery II; and,

The Curse on Hareth.

went for 105$ !!!

Plague of Terror and Streets of Gems seem to be far more common than the others. Ive got spares somewhere, anyone want to trade?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:43 am 

Auctions like this one have me more and more thinking that using eBay as a price guide can do nothing but hurt the community. It is going to tun the RPG marketplace into  the Baseball cards or comic books market.

The recent purchases of empoweredguy or whatever his name was can already be seen affecting the market for SW items. It is affecting what fringe market sellers expect and what inexperienced buyers will pay.

In the short run this will be good for resellers but eventually the market will have to collapse in on itself and you will see resellers fall by the wayside. This has proven itself time and again in other collectible markets. I guess all a true collector can do is grab the BIN bargins or reasonable priced item as they appear and wait for the market to right itself.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:03 am 

Marlith wrote:Auctions like this one have me more and more thinking that using eBay as a price guide can do nothing but hurt the community.

I disagree here. Ebay is still the best method of researching common to uncommon items in the short term. It is good for the more dedicated collector to follow values of rare items over a longer period of time before expending money on one of those items.

Obviously, it would be stupid to run out and by Brotherhood of the Bolt because it went for $300 there. It would be stupid to run out and buy one for $80 because you think you are getting a bargain compared to that unreasonable price spike.

If a seller sees that auction and thinks he can run out and sell his off to someone for that money....he is gonna be sorely disappointed in my opinion when it only gets $40. This is speculation of course but I think it is realistic.

Marlith wrote:In the short run this will be good for resellers but eventually the market will have to collapse in on itself and you will see resellers fall by the wayside. This has proven itself time and again in other collectible markets. I guess all a true collector can do is grab the BIN bargins or reasonable priced item as they appear and wait for the market to right itself.

I couldn't agree more with this assessment.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:06 am 

I see no problem in letting the market fluctuate at the whim of fanatical buyers. It hurts no-one. It is good for both the clever reseller and collector. If some newbie forks out an extra $250 for a $50 book that's just tough. How else is he gonna learn?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:31 am 

EBay is by far and in most circumstance the only way to gauge market value. The only problem with EBay to me can be it seems to promote undue competion. By undue I mean for the one and done type of buyer it allows for someone to bid a ridiculous amount of money on a particular item just because they absolutely have to have it and are not planning any future purchases along the same lines. Look at the guy who was pushed almost to the edge of $2000.00 by a2jeff on the last Tsojconth from lumberjaques a few months ago. This is a guy who has been on EBay over something like 4 years and had a feedback score of like 40. A2jeff is a hardcore collector with lots of money to spend, but even he didn't have a chance against a one and done type of guy like this. Even he admitted to going to high on it, but I suspect he wasnt even coming close to winning that auction. :?

Another thing about EBay is that there is also a a lot of "Beat the proxy bid" that goes on that seems to throw rational behaivor right out the window. This is especially true when dealing with newbies who just seem to think that if this guy is bidding X amount of dollars on a proxy bid than this item must worth X + $10 no matter what X equals. I can't tell you how many times where I have placed an overly high proxy bid on an item that I wanted because I am only looking to fill a few holes that I have left, only to be outbid by someone who applies the X + $10 theory to bidding. Guys like empoweredguy are a classic example of this type of behavior. This guy spent well over $300 on 2 shrinked Q1s. I think I bought mine for a grand total of like $30.00 or so. :? Its more annoying than anything else to me when I get outbid on a particularly high proxy bid, because I know that if I do get outbid on it, even things that are somewhat rare, there will always be another in the not so distant future that I can win, but it just is inconvient. :)  It just seems to me that on EBay a lot of rational behaivor gets thrown out the window.

All that being said as stated above EBay is really the only marketplace out there so you have to take the good with the bad, :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:01 pm 

$331 is not the bid of a noobie. A noobie would not realize this is semi-rare. I could see overbidding on a whitey, but not this. This guy was just rabid for it. He needs to retitle it when he gets it: Brotherhood of the Bolt, Property of a Dolt.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:41 pm 

[quote="nn"]An absolutely idiotic price

recently a set consisting of

Companion Pieces - Mapping Aids for Adventure Games;

Streets of Gems (Islandian Campaign Series);

Plague of Terror (Islandian Campaign Series);

Brotherhood of the Bolt (Islandian Campaign Series);

Sylvan Settings - Places of Mystery III;

Cards of Power - Treasure Trove I;

Chilling Chambers - Places of Mystery I;

Alluring Alcoves - Places of Mystery II; and,

The Curse on Hareth.

went for 105$ !!!

Plague of Terror and Streets of Gems seem to be far more common than the others. Ive got spares somewhere, anyone want to trade?[/quote]

That was my buy.  Looks like gold now :)  Anyone have an extra  Gems of Death?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:11 am 

Marlith wrote:Auctions like this one have me more and more thinking that using eBay as a price guide can do nothing but hurt the community. It is going to tun the RPG marketplace into the Baseball cards or comic books market.

The recent purchases of empoweredguy or whatever his name was can already be seen affecting the market for SW items. It is affecting what fringe market sellers expect and what inexperienced buyers will pay.

In the short run this will be good for resellers but eventually the market will have to collapse in on itself and you will see resellers fall by the wayside. This has proven itself time and again in other collectible markets. I guess all a true collector can do is grab the BIN bargins or reasonable priced item as they appear and wait for the market to right itself.

Right now, despite the oddness of the occasional nutty bid, Ebay is the ONLY reliable pricing tool for RPG collectibles.  There is just no other venue that is open and visible enought to compare prices on.  I'd hate to go back to the days when guys like Zocchi could basically set and control prices on D&D stuff (check out some of his full page ads from 90's issues of Dragon magazines and the idiotic prices he charged) because there was no other reliable source.  Zocchi eventually stopped selling FRP stuff because of the competition online where items could be bought just as reliably andmuch cheaper.  In the end, collectibles will always be collectibles and the random sale of $100 for a Q1 will be just that, a random sale.

Unlike the fields of comics and baseball cards, FRP collectibles cater to a much smaller, intelligent and discriminating market.  It never has been and never will be mainstream enough to attract the successful speculator (many have tried, and all have lost their ass overpaying for rare items and trying to resell the same).  To me the market is more akin to stuff like Pulp magazines where the collectors are typically very knowledgable about their subject but sometimes a newbie pops up to overpay for old Doc Savage or Shadow pulps then fades away.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:19 am 

I take it Sacrifices to the Orc Lord was quite definately never published? Is there any ambiguity about that?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:28 am 

I've never seen it, Ian.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:32 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I take it Sacrifices to the Orc Lord was quite definately never published? Is there any ambiguity about that?

I have had various very well placed confirmation over the years (people who knew, played with and worked with the authors)...never published.  Most of the Companion's material was from the author's campaign(s) so chances are Orc Lords actually existed in some form, it was just never put together and published (despite advertisements to the contrary).  

Mike B.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:54 am 

I actually heard from Wheeler himself that Orc Lord was never published.  
It's too bad because it sounded kind of cool...  :wink:

Next