Silliest non-TSR auction price
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:14 am 

valhalla_games_and_hobbies wrote:Since 1991, we've usually shrink-wrapped all goods (new and secondhand) in our store ourselves, both to protect them from handling and to keep components together

And shrink on pictured items are not original ones  :?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:37 am 

Valhalla Games was, as Brette said, an Australian shop, here in Perth.

The shop itself had quite a good selection of gear, however there were a few major draw-backs.

The first was: there were 2 owners IIRC. One guy was great, as well as the guys who manned the counter. They knew roughly what something was worth and sometimes adjusted the price that was listed on the gear, and occassionally let you look through it as it came in, before being priced. One of them said he weren't a big fan of how the other owner worked out his prices on some items.

The other owner, even back then, used to be on the net continuously checking out the price on items and adjusting them up in the store with a substantial markup. Guy wouldn't budge on prices and at one stage wanted around $AUD73.40 for a D1-2. A friend sold some items to them (against my advice) - had to leave the items there, and had to wait ages for a reply. The offers to buy were rediculously low. When they went on the shelf you would have thought they were platimum plated with the prices listed.
Which leads me to the next point..

Secondly: had a bad habit of re-shriking items. Have bought a few items from them (not for the price listed though) which have been hole-punched had a price sticker placed on them, then re-shrinked and tried to be passed off as near mint/shrink  8O

Shop was forced to close by the State Government to allow the new underground train system to be built- most of the businesses got screwed there big time and had to seek compensation, and he hasn't had a chance to set up his actual business shop-front again (that I've heard). Original site still caught up in the construction.

Be very careful with the descriptions to make sure you know what you're getting, and if it's marked as shrink look closely at the photos. Personally I think you'll get better value in general auctions.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:55 pm 

If they can get the prices they want...well...that's just good business.

Trawling the internet for Buy-It-Now prices isn't really a good ideal.  Better to check out recent auction prices.

Some of the new sellers are clearly pricing their auctions based upon Ebay store prices.

My overall impression is that new bidders are appearing every day in the game market...and they are driving up prices.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:02 pm 

It could have been post in the non-TSR interesting items but for this price definitively not!

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %3AIT&rd=1

2 books are pictured but only one is sold.

Does anyone know the difference between CoC anniversary book with red sign and the one with yellow sign?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:33 am 

Red sign is the anniversary edition to celebrate 20 years of call of Cthulhu.  It is a really nice book, well worth getting (but not at that price  8O ).  Perhaps the $65-100 range.

Gold sign is the limited edition, bound with paper and string (addressed to: Dr Armitage, Miskatonic University, Arkham) with a limited collection label and signatures of the Chaosium staffers at the time.  Only 300 copies were made.

There are also Copper sign versions - see yog-sothoth.com and look at their collector section.    :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:46 am 

Thank red_bus for this very interesting informations :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:09 am 

It may be bad form to post your own auctions but I have to admit to being a bit stunned by this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Traveller-Adv-12- ... dZViewItem

Should I have been surprised?

(And he paid about 30 seconds after the end of the auction!)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:32 am 

gyg wrote:Should I have been surprised?

Our very own Traveller is who I defer to in these situations ... I'm sure he'll be by soon.

Take it away, Trav!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am 

gyg wrote:It may be bad form to post your own auctions but I have to admit to being a bit stunned by this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Traveller-Adv-12- ... dZViewItem
Should I have been surprised?
(And he paid about 30 seconds after the end of the auction!)

That one surprised me a bit as well but from what was posted by Traveller in an earlier thread I guess it really shouldnt.

In the case of Adventure 13: SignalGK and Book 7: Merchant Prince, both of those had small print runs (@13,000 and 17,000 respectively) compared to books like Book 4: Mercenary (@124,000 copies) and Book 5: High Guard (@115,000 copies).  The small print runs, the subject matter, and the huge demand are the reasons for the prices.

I just cant bring myself to pay this much when I own the FFE reprints.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:48 pm 

Valhalla Games again... man, what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BNIB-Robert-L-Aspri ... dZViewItem

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:10 pm 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:Valhalla Games again... man, what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BNIB-Robert-L-Aspri ... dZViewItem

Every auction they have up is way overpriced.. 8O

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:20 pm 

I just took a snapshot of Valhalla's listings after sorting by price. I admit to total confusion:

1. If this guy is serious ... well, those can't be over-the-counter drugs he's taking, right?

2. If it's just some sort of joke or prank (a theory discussed elsewhere here), what's the punch-line? I mean, it does cost actual money to list items on eBay, whether you're kidding around or not.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:53 pm 

What ever he is smoking I want some..

Maraudar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:38 pm 

Maraudar wrote:What ever he is smoking I want some..

Maraudar

Drugs are bad..Mmmkay!
*bad Southpark character impression*

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:41 pm 

That also sounds like Mr. Van Driesen from Beavis & Butt-head.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:03 am 

He says he sells them in his store at that price. I explained to him that when people in Australia eventually get the internet down there, and they can buy them at a fraction of that price his sales will drop quickly. So until Australia gets online he might as well make a mint out of the local economy. He paint a pretty backward picture of how advanced his fellow countrymen are.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:18 am 

well mike (improvstone) and brendon (addermcone) dont have any problems, so there should be no reason that other folk there dont either.....

i think he's talking a load of poop myself  :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:52 am 

In his blurb he lists that he's now opened a store in the suburb a couple over from mine (he's in a light industrial). He's supposedly open over the weekend so I might pop in for a very good laugh  :D

I doubt he's sold much recently as the community isn't huge over here and word of mouth gets around real quick.

The truly sad part he's now flooded EBay.com.au's D&D page with his over-inflated cr@p and new bidders/listers will see what he's asking and possibly raise their reserves or pay much higher than they should.  :evil: Hopefully not.

Keep in mind we only have a few hundred items listed on EBay here regularly. With the timeframes he's listed some for they're going to be there a while..

Luckily we don't have the internet here in Australia yet, so all this typing is just a figment of your imagination & I can also tell me wife that I haven't actually spent a truck-load of money as well.......  8O

PreviousNext