Silliest non-TSR auction price
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 47 of 87123 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 858687
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:35 am 

Hi,

they were selling for around £70 - £100 up to about 2 months ago (when I last noticed one).

I had a copy very like that first one - the shrink was still on the outside of the box, and had only been cut at the top to open it.

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:14 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Ah, Troll & Toad... Where would a "Silliest prices" thread be without you?  I don't think I've seen a sealed copy go for anywhere near that price, let alone one in a "damaged box".

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:46 pm 

That second HotOE went for £255 and now there's a third up, already at £122. Flash in the pan isn't burning out.

Meanwhile, WTF?

There really are some crazy CoC prices going around right now.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:39 pm 

Amazon prices are fairly silly all of the time, but here is one that shocked me.  I was checking on my DCC #35 competition.  I thought that $199.99 is pretty high for a $69.99 item, but maybe I am wrong:

Hell, mine looks like a bargain!   8O

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:52 pm 

LOL
That one is just insane Brian.
Insane... even for Yahoo silliness its mucho nutso.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:35 pm 

This is a video game, but thought it belonged here if for no other reason than.....  well.

The seller is adamant about it too, I sent a note.

This listing is funny as hell.
Thanks much for the laugh on July 4th....

The reply.

Call it what you want but, it's true and has been varified by 2
different gaming stores. So, haha the joke is on you. By the way I'm
going to post LARGER pictures so ppl can view for themselves.

Larger pictures would of course be helpful for your listing. You might also try to focus the shots better, avoiding blurred pictures. You are asking for $599, so yes, you should post good clear large pictures. Are the DVDs in there? And if so, are they good, or trashed? Does the game even play?  Good luck in your dream quest.

Its just a misprinted DVD Label for a video game for hecks sake ....

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:38 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:

This is a video game, but thought it belonged here if for no other reason than.....  well.

The seller is adamant about it too, I sent a note.

Its just a misprinted DVD Label for a video game for hecks sake ....

You might want to do some additional research before you go throwing stones.  Technically it is the first printing of the game.  It does go for more than the non-misprint version of the game.  Why?  Same reason a first printing of G1 goes for more than the second printing.  He probably got the price from here:

http://www.rarityguide.com/ps1_view.php

However it isnt in the shrinkwrap so no way is he going to get the price he is asking for.  He would be lucky to get $100 for it.  You might be surprised how much people pay for these console games.  I saw a Super Nintendo lot on Ebay with Final Fantasy 2, Final Fantasy 3, and Chronotrigger all in shrinkwrap with the hangtabs go for over $1000 not too long ago.  And they arent even rare....just extremely popular.

Misprints and errors are extremely rare in a lot of cases and go for big bucks.  DMG second alpha ring a bell?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:16 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:He would be lucky to get $100 for it.

Its listed at a Starting price of $599, and you stated yerself he wont likely get more than $100...
Where exactly did I go wrong then....?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:42 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
Its listed at a Starting price of $599, and you stated yerself he wont likely get more than $100...
Where exactly did I go wrong then....?

If the game was in the original shrinkwrap it is possible, however unlikely, that someone would have paid his asking price.  At some point in the past it already happened due to the high end price on the PS1 rarity guide.  So yeah, the starting price is a little on the ridiculous side.  But that isnt why I made the post.  This is why:

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Its just a misprinted DVD Label for a video game for hecks sake ....

People in our hobby pay high prices all the time for misprinted rulebooks and modules or variant covers and different printings.  Why should collecting video games be any different?  And was the first message you sent the seller really necessary?  Why not just call him a stupid idiot?  Takes less time to type.  :?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:03 am 

umnn  okie dokie.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:30 pm 

So much for "buyer's market". :)

Who's getting carried away now, given that's not tfm this time; http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0135564874 ?

Someone could do with a bit of research to figure out the difference between a common 'zine and a rare one anyhow, IMHO. Was just about scraping £5-6 on those last year...

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:37 pm 

faro wrote:So much for "buyer's market". :)
Who's getting carried away now, given that's not tfm this time; http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0135564874 ?

Someone could do with a bit of research to figure out the difference between a common 'zine and a rare one anyhow, IMHO. Was just about scraping £5-6 on those last year...

it wasn't me.. there have been no low number Dragonlorrds for a while.. I don't have this one and I was going to snip .. not at this level though... its the gunfight between bidder 1 and 2 though by the looks of that..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:47 pm 

faro wrote:So much for "buyer's market". :)

Outliers ... there's always going to be those outliers in any set of data.  8)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:51 pm 

Got a smile here, anyhow...
Would have been tempted to think bidder #1 was having a laugh at the amount of the max. bid were it not for that final underbid being so close to the auction close and thus not enough time to retract if accidentally taking the lead.

Thing is (as you know), that ain't a low number; coming as it did after the GW deal when the circulation increased approximately six-fold. They should be about as common as it gets 'zine-side and rather less likely to have been thrown away than most, too.

Thankfully it ain't one of the 'zines that went awol at uni here since I'd've thought those previous £5-6 prices were already close to top-end.
Good luck on picking that one up, Brette.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:56 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Outliers ... there's always going to be those outliers in any set of data.  8)

Agreed, even if it takes two to tango on eBay. ;)

Even that third bid ain't exactly low and they'd've probably come back for more, I guess...

Was kinda icing on the cake to the previous batch;

(#3's the "relatively common" issue from the early numbers)

Just a bit up from that $70-ish for #1-7 I think it was on the auction way-back that I missed totally. Thought that was a bit of an "oops" at the time... :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:59 pm 

by low I mean single digit.. usually Dragonlaords show up a bit often around the issue 16 to 22 odd, these issues seem to be more common.. still few and far between, although The beholder has seen a far few for sale lately (but they were reprinted quite a bit I suppose).. its a bit of hit and miss with them of course.. still lots to go....

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:19 pm 

Umm... my # 15 is green.

Is that the camera playing tricks, or are my eyes failing?  (or is there a reprinting I don't know about?)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:53 pm 

prob playing tricks.. it looks like mine though..

http://www.arielarchives.com/Brett/maga ... rds15.html

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 47 of 87123 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 858687