Silliest non-TSR auction price
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 46 of 87123 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 858687
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:40 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Asinine BIN:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Seller has changed the BIN from $700 to $450.  Still ridiculous.  :?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:22 am 

If he drops it to $250, maybe someone will bite. I'd consider placing mint Ptolus in my shop at that, but I'd have had to have picked them up at $100 a pop to justify it. Like RAR, the presence of the PDF creates a ceiling price lower than it otherwise could be. CZ:UW on the other hand will not be hampered by that problem. The days of cheap CZ:UW are numbered.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:09 am 

Ian - what do you think of Ptolus?  I don't know much about it - although  when it came out it won awards for art and design - and it is meant to be huge and carefully detailed. But would it work with 1st ed AD&D?  Would it be easy to adapt to an old rules campaign or is it grognard-incompatible?

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:43 am 

Didnt a Ptolus just sell on ebay for around $160

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:53 am 

red_bus wrote:Ian - what do you think of Ptolus?  I don't know much about it - although  when it came out it won awards for art and design - and it is meant to be huge and carefully detailed. But would it work with 1st ed AD&D?  Would it be easy to adapt to an old rules campaign or is it grognard-incompatible?

It all depends on how much work you want to do as a DM and how confident you are at DMing on the fly. I would say that you can adapt anything to work with 1E, and as far as detailed cityscapes go, it is one of the most comprehensively detailed cities out there on account of how much Monte Cook and freinds manage to publish.

That said, there are far better cities to work with for a variety of reasons. By far, I still consider Liberty to be the finest designed little cityscape to date. Unfortunately only Thieves' Quarter and Temple Quarter were ever published, so you'd need to do a lot of donkey work yourself. But the map is a masterpiece (and also an award winner).

I also like the feel of what has been written about Yggsburgh, and am now interested in some of the city and townships in Paizo's Pathfinder series. I didn't quite like Bard's Gate or Freeport. They just seemed like the same old crap people pass off from time to time. There is also either of the two decent versions of CSIO (JG's original and Necromancer's) both of which are fantastic products.

So I suppose for me, all I can say is that if I were going to be running a campaign, I'd be looking at either Liberty or the JG original of CSIO. I may consider Yggsburgh, but only if I were intending to run CZ:UW, and even then, I may be tempted to surplant CZ:UW elsewhere. Ptolus at $60 as a PDF is worth it if you have the money and need source material, but if you want value for your money, buy Thieves' Quarter, Temple Quarter, Ring of Thieves, and the Giant poster Map from Cafe Press, and fill in the blanks yourself. Ptolus is purely for collectors. It's not the best playable product in the world.

>CORRECTION< Arcane Quarter is also available for Laberty City, but is not in print. I just added it to my collection, and a quick flick through is very pleasing. Of the remaining quarters to be dealt with, it's the one, both in content and geographical location, that I would have most liked detailed. So I'm a happy chap today.  :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:28 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I didn't quite like Bard's Gate

:cry:
But I can understand.

mbassoc2003 wrote:or Freeport.

Map did nothing for me, setting though works, just the presentation a bit off.

I haven't looked at Bluffside in sometime, but I know visually it was interesting, I seem to recall the presentation in the book not being great.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:07 pm 

Another Ptolus with a ridiculously high BIN.  Seller is greatbuybooks2, "great buy" my eye.

Edit:  The BIN has since been lowered to a slightly less ridiculous level.

Edit 2:  Now the BIN is just under $300

Last edited by Grug Greyskin on Sun May 03, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:22 pm 

Golden Dawn, VGC+ Yikes!

Don't know what's up with Cthulhu prices right now, they are all over the place.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:24 pm 

Complete GW Dungeon Floor Plans 1 for $41 with over 2 days to go?  Admittedly, most Dungeon Floor Plans are of unknown completeness and sell for $10 - $15.

. . .  

[Edit:  The same seller has a complete Dungeon Rooms at $51.  Again, the set normally sells for much less than $51.

. . .  
]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:30 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:It all depends on how much work you want to do as a DM and how confident you are at DMing on the fly. I would say that you can adapt anything to work with 1E, and as far as detailed cityscapes go, it is one of the most comprehensively detailed cities out there on account of how much Monte Cook and freinds manage to publish.

That said, there are far better cities to work with for a variety of reasons. By far, I still consider Liberty to be the finest designed little cityscape to date. Unfortunately only Thieves' Quarter and Temple Quarter were ever published, so you'd need to do a lot of donkey work yourself. But the map is a masterpiece (and also an award winner).

I also like the feel of what has been written about Yggsburgh, and am now interested in some of the city and townships in Paizo's Pathfinder series. I didn't quite like Bard's Gate or Freeport. They just seemed like the same old crap people pass off from time to time. There is also either of the two decent versions of CSIO (JG's original and Necromancer's) both of which are fantastic products.

So I suppose for me, all I can say is that if I were going to be running a campaign, I'd be looking at either Liberty or the JG original of CSIO. I may consider Yggsburgh, but only if I were intending to run CZ:UW, and even then, I may be tempted to surplant CZ:UW elsewhere. Ptolus at $60 as a PDF is worth it if you have the money and need source material, but if you want value for your money, buy Thieves' Quarter, Temple Quarter, Ring of Thieves, and the Giant poster Map from Cafe Press, and fill in the blanks yourself. Ptolus is purely for collectors. It's not the best playable product in the world.

I'm still a big fan of Carse and Tulan of the Isles (both Midkemian and Chaosium versions).  Very easy to run in 1E or 2E, and highly detailed. Plus both have that old school "feel" (justifiably).

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:24 am 

Great description too.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:16 am 

Bard Games' Complete Spellcaster (2nd Printing)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26fvi%3D1

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:31 am 

. wrote:Bard Games' Complete Spellcaster (2nd Printing)

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Come on! It is a bargain with the 5% discount.  :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:06 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0413035204

I've sold a few of these and never got within a mile of being this lucky. Right place, right time.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:43 pm 

megnelwil wrote:

I've sold a few of these and never got within a mile of being this lucky. Right place, right time.

I'm wondering why the box looks shrinkwrapped but the listing states that it is "in good condition with only slight wear."  Odd.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:20 pm 

megnelwil wrote:

Fuck me sideways!  That is a wild price.  8O

Let's go fly a kite

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:41 pm 

And another one with 2 days still to run.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:29 am 

SoulCatcher78 wrote:
I'm wondering why the box looks shrinkwrapped but the listing states that it is "in good condition with only slight wear."  Odd.

I remember when I originally saw the auction starting (then... at a low price) I dropped him a question about that - to no response  :(

With two now sky high, I wonder if this is a blip with competing bidders, or a more general rise in HoTOE prices.  I hope that former, as I have a set, but without the box - so I do look every now and again to see if I can snag a cheap one - or even a box with partial insides (some hope  :lol: )

Let's go fly a kite

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 46 of 87123 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 858687