Silliest non-TSR auction price
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 35 of 87123 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 858687
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:57 am 

gyg wrote:Holy shite - I think every English gamer in the eighties probably had one of these (I know I did 8O )

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Not having been an English gamer in the 80's I never had one of those.

So, I made an offer of 0.25........... :wink: ...

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:22 pm 

These catalogs do sell for a surprising amount of money.  I seem to recall seeing some of them sell in the $50-$100 range.  I don't collect miniatures but there seems to be enough people who do that the prices get driven up.

That price is just insane though!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 pm 

It will sell for big $ - I sold a blue cover one (a bit more recent) , in very scabby condition a couple of years ago for £30 IIRC.

(It's still just a catalogue though!)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:40 pm 

Actually, to make sure everyone here understands what I mean - Its still only a catalog :lol:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:12 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Sheriff has always been a crackhead with his pricing. He's a joke.

Speaking of the Sheriff, this popped up in my search this morning:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ICE-MERP-Middle-Ear ... dZViewItem

The price there isnt too far off the mark but still a tad on the high side.  But not anywhere near as nutty as this price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MERS-MERP-Rulebook- ... dZViewItem

Someone with a bit more MERP knowledge help me out here.  This rulebook is the same one from the 1st edition MERP box set and I dont recall it ever being shrinkwrapped or sold separately.  Am I correct in assuming that this joker doesnt have any idea what he is selling or is just trying to rip someone off that has less knowledge about the product than he does?

Looks like the majority of items in his store are over priced as well.  Just not on the scale as the above item.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:25 am 

More hilarity:

Both of these sellers have tried selling these items several times before and were unsuccessful.  I dont understand why the seller of the 101 Robots just doesnt start it off at $10?  It almost always sells for over a hundred bucks.  It is also the last Digest Group product I need for my Traveller collection but I'll be damned if someone thinks I am going to pay $200 for it.  :twisted:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:01 am 

Well, hell. If I knew I could try and sell the MERP book for ~ 100$, I'd be so there. I've got one of those (not in shrink) and would be glad to get even 1/4 that amount.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:31 am 

I believe it was a separate product as well, Pain. Worth $100? Not even close, but the guy is a muttonhead anyways.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:36 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

Speaking of the Sheriff, this popped up in my search this morning:

The price there isnt too far off the mark but still a tad on the high side.  But not anywhere near as nutty as this price:

Someone with a bit more MERP knowledge help me out here.  This rulebook is the same one from the 1st edition MERP box set and I dont recall it ever being shrinkwrapped or sold separately.  Am I correct in assuming that this joker doesnt have any idea what he is selling or is just trying to rip someone off that has less knowledge about the product than he does?

Looks like the majority of items in his store are over priced as well.  Just not on the scale as the above item.

The rulebook was offered separately, but I've never seen a SW copy. I don't think it was SW.  Sometimes I despair wondering why I don't just jack my prices up three fold, it would still be less than most of these jokers.... :roll:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:43 am 

Invest in your own shrink-wrapping machine, then you can be justified jacking them up fourfold. :lol:

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:46 am 

g026r wrote:Invest in your own shrink-wrapping machine, then you can be justified jacking them up fourfold. :lol:

Here you go, guaranteed to boost your eBay profits... :wink:

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:02 pm 

g026r wrote:Invest in your own shrink-wrapping machine, then you can be justified jacking them up

Also known as a $15 hair dryer. Besides the possibility of a scammer doing it, many individual retail stores do it themselves. Someone could buy & sell a SW item without realizing it's not factory packaging.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:04 pm 

sauromatian wrote:Also known as a $15 hair dryer. Besides the possibility of a scammer doing it, many individual retail stores do it themselves. Someone could buy & sell a SW item without realizing it's not factory packaging.

One of the local stores does it to everything they get.  (Jason will know the chain I'm talking about, as they have a branch down his way as well.)

Makes buying anything from them a crapshoot, as you can never tell what the interior quality is like.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:07 pm 

All-Star Games, a fairly well-known store in Diamond Bar, Calif. (nice and centrally located in the greater L.A. area) used to do this, too. It was absurd. Every single thing in the store — used, new, RPG's, boardgames, wargames, magazines, comics, whatever — was shrink-wrapped.

And don't get me started on the fact that their machine usually wrapped stuff way too tightly ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:17 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:All-Star Games, a fairly well-known store in Diamond Bar, Calif. (nice and centrally located in the greater L.A. area) used to do this, too. It was absurd. Every single thing in the store — used, new, RPG's, boardgames, wargames, magazines, comics, whatever — was shrink-wrapped.

And don't get me started on the fact that their machine usually wrapped stuff way too tightly ...

Xax, is All-Star worth checking out? I've seen them come up on the WotC store listing a number of times, but I'm all the way up near Santa Monica. I went over to The Last Grenadier in Burbank a couple of weeks back, they had a bunch of stuff jammed down in boxes covered in dust, I picked up a very ratty ready ref sheets and some well worn BECMI books, but otherwise it was pretty much a bust. The dice selection was meh. Fine if you're looking for the usual mechanically polished dice sold everywhere.

It's a great store for old military books, it seems, as they had shelves and shelves of stuff.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:37 pm 

My understanding is that it's either closed or quite different. Sadly, the owner  and owner's wife both passed away within weeks of each other a few years ago, leaving the store (as I understand the story, anyway) in the hands of a manager and some part-timers who were not prepared to run a game store. I had moved back to Nevada by that time, so I'm fuzzy on the details.

I liked All-Star, FWIW. The location was great, the store was clean and well-stocked, and the people were nice enough. I would have definitely been okay with a bit more of a personal touch ... I spent thousands of dollars there from 2000 to 2004 and never got so much as a 1% discount on anything. Oh, and the shrinkwrapping, of course: as mentioned, I thought they really jumped the shark in that department. But, overall, a game store I remember fondly.

You'll definitely want to call first or do a Google search. Santa Monica/Diamond Bar would be a long way to drive just to find that the address is now home to a dry cleaners or something.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:24 pm 

This Seller is hoping to get $65 for Assassins of Dol Amroth.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:18 pm 

Speaking of catalogs, by the way....

Since they are often given away for free I make  a point of picking them up whenever I run across free copies.

I bag them up...you never know.

(I also snagged 6 or 8 copies of the free comic book newspaper covering the assassination of Captain America.  Got em on ice...you never know.)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 35 of 87123 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 858687