Silliest non-TSR auction price
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 34 of 87123 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 858687
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:54 pm 

Back when I was 18 I went to a comic convention in Boston and got to look through an Action #1. The guy wanted 10K for it, and it was probably Fine at least.
The holy grail used to be Marvel Comics #1.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:58 pm 

g026r wrote:

And finally:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

What's that?  That's not that high for a new book?  Well, it is once you consider that you can buy the same book direct from Chaosium for $3 less and at half the shipping cost. :lol:

Hey, there is no telling what people will do. I expect to put about half the monographs I ordered on April 1st from Chaosium up on ebay....and get cover or more apiece.  People who either aren't aware that Chaosium still has copies, or are overseas and would rather pay my shipping than theirs.  I bet I sell them all.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:03 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Back when I was 18 I went to a comic convention in Boston and got to look through an Action #1. The guy wanted 10K for it, and it was probably Fine at least.
The holy grail used to be Marvel Comics #1.

Frank, I'm old enough that in the late 70s, a local guy had a copy of Fantastic Four #1 signed by both Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in his comic store, everyone used to ask to see it and flip through it when they came in. It was in pretty nice shape, darn close to Near Mint, except for the sigs on the title page (even had a certificate with it, as he had won the issue as part of some charity giveaway in New York City in the 1960s). Of course, everyone thought he was nuts to ask $250 for it... 8O

He also had Spiderman #1 and all the key 1960 Marvels, with a few others, but nothing as outrageously high as that FF #1! The nerve!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:49 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:The holy grail used to be Marvel Comics #1.

I still think it is, for what that's worth. It led the chart every year when I was growing up and really into comics. It practically had its own mythology.

Action #1? Bah. That's for all these young whippersnappers with their fancy transistor radios and videotape recorders.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:39 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:I still think it is, for what that's worth. It led the chart every year when I was growing up and really into comics. It practically had its own mythology.

Action #1? Bah. That's for all these young whippersnappers with their fancy transistor radios and videotape recorders.

Take the ten most valuable comic books and put them on a table and tell me that I can have only one of them I will always pick Detective Comics #27.  Never been much of a fan of Superman myself....Batman has always been more to my liking.  Captain America Comics #1 would be a close second though.  IMHO it has one of the greatest covers ever with Cap knocking the crap out of one Adolf Hitler.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... erica1.jpg

:D

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:43 am 

So when did Cap's shield shape change?

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:20 am 

The second issue of Captain America Comics.

A rival publisher complained that the shield was too similar to their own patriotically-themed hero (called the Shield), so it was changed to a circular one.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:27 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Take the ten most valuable comic books and put them on a table and tell me that I can have only one of them I will always pick Detective Comics #27.  Never been much of a fan of Superman myself....Batman has always been more to my liking.  Captain America Comics #1 would be a close second though.  IMHO it has one of the greatest covers ever with Cap knocking the crap out of one Adolf Hitler.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... erica1.jpg

:D

I'd cost myself a lot of money (since they aren't the most valuable of comics), but I'd love to have copies of all the key Marvel Explosion issues of the 1960s....the ones that clearly defined the direction of superhero comics for the next 40 years. Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Steve Ditko truly changed the comics world to an extent that it's being felt today...The Hulk was pretty much the first ever "anti-hero" and every Wolverine, Punisher or similar "outside the law" badass owes their very existance to him.  FF was the first team comic where the members squabbled, didn't agree on everything, and The Thing was really the first "Ugly" heroic character on a team.  Spidey was the first ever everyman hero, the guy that could have been you, instead of a alien from another planet, a billionaire living in a mansion, or a supremely muscled workout warrior that had happened to use his amazing intellect to fight crime. For God's Sake, Ditko drew the kid like a scrawny, bookwormish nerdo...Hell, Spidey was the first NERD hero, before we even knew what that was.  Iron Man was the first supremely flawed hero....warmonger arms dealer, alcoholic, womanizer, and at first he had to keep his armor on and recharge it just to keep his poor damaged heart beating.  Following the FF's lead, The Avengers fought, argued, and broke the team up on ocassion..hell, they KICKED OUT the Hulk after a couple of issues when he became a pain in the ass (could you see the JLA kicking out one of their most powerful members because he knocked down a town or something every once in awhile?).  The X-Men were the original outcasts of society, and eventually spawned an entire industry of life's losers who band together to save a humanity that despises them (become one ofthe greatest cliches in comic history).  Daredevil may have been the first disabled superhero (blind), and got the title "Man Without Fear" because with no powers to speak of he would jump in and try to beat the hell out of Namor, the Hulk, or whoever armed with that ridiculous costume (until he changed it to the kick ass red devil's uniform) and his billy club. So, I'd like Mint copies on my shelf of:

Amazing Fantasy 15 (1st spidey)
Amazing Spiderman #1
Fantastic Four #1
Hulk #1
Uncanny X-Men #1
Tales of Suspense #39 (1st Iron Man)
Avengers #1
Avengers #4 (1st Captain America in the Silver Age)
Daredevil #1

Just to make it an even 10, throw in Fantastic Four #5 with the first appearance of Dr. Doom, the greatest villain of the silver age.  He was as smart as Lex Luthor (and wearing bad ass metal armor decades before Lexxie thought that one up) and more global (he ruled his own country, he wanted to rule the world AND rescue his mother's soul from hell, pretty damn ambitious).  The Joker?  Bah, Doom would have fried the laughing hyena nutcase the first time he ever saw him, realizing such a flawed individual could never exist in the "perfect" world he envisioned. Besides, the Joker may be a mass murderer, but Doom dreamed it on a GLOBAL scale.....whatever it took to make the world admit he was smarter than Reed Richards, he would have gladly done in a heartbeat.

Mike B.

Last edited by Badmike on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:04 pm 

Badmike wrote:He was as smart as Lew Luthor ...

Lex's cousin?

Badmike wrote:I'd cost myself a lot of money (since they aren't the most valuable of comics), but I'd love to have copies of all the key Marvel Explosion issues of the 1960s ...

I'd do the same thing, and to hell with the values. I'd probably even dip into the '70s ... Howard the Duck #1, Marvel Premiere #14 (or is it #15 where Iron Fist debuted?), Giant-Size X-Men, Conan #1 ... since those were more "my years." Hell with the money; I can always make more money.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:13 pm 

I used to have some of those. It was during my years of Magic playing, and I ended up trading them for some cards which I then traded for some RPG stuff, and then sold to move across country. Maybe I should try to find them again. Almost makes me wish I still had comic books.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:41 pm 

serleran wrote:I used to have some of those. It was during my years of Magic playing, and I ended up trading them for some cards which I then traded for some RPG stuff, and then sold to move across country. Maybe I should try to find them again. Almost makes me wish I still had comic books.

Marvel and DC have quite astutely realized there is a huge nostalgia market to tap into. Pretty much every key title for both companies is available in large, very beautiful professionally bound hardcover reprint editions, with jazzed up color and white pages. At some point I'll sell all my comics and just have these up on the bookshelves, they look nice. I have a few titles already (the original Conan series, almost all the Marvel Masterworks, the New X-Men stuff, some of the early JLA volumes) in this format and I can say it's the way to go unless you just happend to be a comic book junkie and have to have the originals.

And just a short plug, I have a LOT of comics I need to get rid of.  X, I have a few copies of the 1st Iron Fist available (average condition), and a Howard the Duck #1 (not in that great condition, unfortunately) in my sales boxes, along with a lot of other goodies. Let me know if there is anything you are looking for....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:42 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Badmike wrote:
 He was as smart as Lew Luthor ...  

Lex's cousin? .

The Arkansas side of the family....Lex doesn't talk about them much... :wink:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:53 pm 

Mike, let me put together a couple of paychecks and I'll get back to you (I was ... uh ... a little "paycheck-deficient" in January and February). Don't hold on to them on my account, but maybe we can cut a deal later this month or in May. I'll PM you when the barrels and barrels of cash begin to roll in.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:40 am 

There was a very large MERP collection on ebay.fr.

Link

It has gone for 1700 USD (more than 100 Euro).

But there is something strange...

The seller hasn't many feedbacks (6)

The buyer hasn't many feedbacks too (1)

What is the probability that BOTH of them has received a feedback from the same person within a month from very different items ???

the seller

the buyer

And another strange thing is that those 2 transactions were cancelled (despite of the positive feedbacks).

The first one, because the coat didn't fit the woman.

The second because the table and chaires bought by the man were not OK regarding to his wife's taste. (understandable ? :wink:)

:?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:57 pm 

What is he smoking?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:30 pm 

larp very well alive. worth $954 bonus run extra pickups??  

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:20 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:larp very well alive. worth $954 bonus run extra pickups??  

??? What on earth is that? A pass to the secret dungeon under Charlie's Chocolate Factory?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:23 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:
??? What on earth is that? A pass to the secret dungeon under Charlie's Chocolate Factory?

I was wondering the same thing...

M. Parthes
FINDNPLAY.COM

"PC's are like snowflakes; Ephemeral things destined to vanish very shortly after their creation."

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 34 of 87123 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 858687