Silliest non-TSR auction price
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:55 pm 

tfm wrote:I've been watching the barents1234 auctions close all day.  Did Cthulhu awaken and I wasn't told?

I guess this is what you get when you play around with a newbie:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8767050321

I guess he wanted that pretty bad. :?  The thing I can't figure out is why so many small incremental bids. why not just $120 or whatever and forget about it? Its not like you get extra credit for putting in more bids. Silly..........

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:59 pm 

tfm wrote:I've been watching the barents1234 auctions close all day.  Did Cthulhu awaken and I wasn't told?

Well, clearly the Daystar West Pharaoh went for $30 too much.  :wink:  :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:22 pm 

red_bus wrote:

Well, clearly the Daystar West Pharaoh went for $30 too much.  :wink:  :)

Or perhaps $530 too much. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:24 pm 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

yes, that would be the saner answer.  :)

I suppose the consolation is that at least I will be able to eat well tomorrow (instead of beans and rice again).

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:19 pm 

Looks like it! :lol:

I think I'll just sit back and watch. 'Tis a good spectator sport and I'm sure the seller must be loving every moment, too.

bclarkie wrote:I guess this is what you get when you play around with a newbie:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8767050321

*wonders whether the Monkey God's Curse is dormant mildew, in addition to that "Cover is worn from storage and has some (food?) stains"*

Brian; congrats on not winning, again! ;)

$83 was crazy, IMO. I picked up a F/VF copy for $20-odd (IIRC) from a reputable collector via eBay last year: don't recall much competition, either.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:20 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Or perhaps $530 too much. :wink:

Heh, heh... Only that much? :oops:

Oh well, as long as the winner and seller are happy! :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:08 pm 

Add two more non-TSR items to the list of barents high sale prices:

$90 for

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lair-of-the-Spider- ... dZViewItem

and $125 for  

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lord-Farricks-Keep- ... dZViewItem

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:32 pm 

:D  I've spent about $500 on his stuff. I've been after those two for a long time. I missed out on the IDD module though, just like Minotaur a couple of months ago. I keep missing those.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:43 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote::D  I've spent about $500 on his stuff.

You'll get that back soon enough, I presume?

Not quite the same as actually having to spend and not recoup the monies paid.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:48 pm 

faro wrote:Not quite the same as actually having to spend and not recoup the monies paid.

The stuff tends to sit in my eBay shop for a while. But it'll sell eventually. Besides, I need time to scan some of it. I'm most pleased with Tombs of Valla. I've been looking for that one for a while also. I'm sure the last one sold for over $100?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:17 pm 

I wanted the Mercury Games stuff too and that's why you ended up paying quite a bit for it :)

But I guess having Bane of Bryreville to go with the Minotaur (from a few months back) will have to have to do for now.  At least is saves me some money for now.

I have been tracking these items for a while too and as far as I know these are the only copies that have shown up in the past couple of years.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:06 pm 

Given how much the Mercury Games stuff is selling for these day, I'm beginning to wonder if I undervalued my prepub Spider Mother when I traded it as part of a lot for Warriors of Mars....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:46 pm 

Is there a history of Mercury Games stuff selling on Ebay?  The latest ones are the only ones that I have seen go.  When/What did the previous ones sell for?

I think Warriors of Mars is a pretty hot comodity too.  I would be willing to pay much more for it than the Mercury Games stuff.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:15 pm 

Mars wrote:Is there a history of Mercury Games stuff selling on Ebay?  The latest ones are the only ones that I have seen go.  When/What did the previous ones sell for?

More than I've been willing to pay ;)  I don't recall seeing Lord Farrik's Keep before, but Lair of the Spider Mother has sold two or three times in the past few years for $40-80 IIRC, so these prices were higher, but not way out of line.  The prices, have, of course risen each time ;-)

Mars wrote:I think Warriors of Mars is a pretty hot comodity too.  I would be willing to pay much more for it than the Mercury Games stuff.

Yeah, I still think I probably got a more-than-fair deal, in the end.  I just lament the loss of my cool original non-TSR super-rare :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:20 pm 

Mars wrote:I think Warriors of Mars is a pretty hot comodity too.  I would be willing to pay much more for it than the Mercury Games stuff.

You might have yourself quite a fight on that one.  I am still quite sour about the last one that was up and I didnt win.  I am almost at the point of "at any cost" to win one. :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:30 pm 

bclarkie wrote:

You might have yourself quite a fight on that one.  I am still quite sour about the last one that was up and I didnt win.  I am almost at the point of "at any cost" to win one. :?

I remember that one....  :lol:  I think you let the acaeum collective talk you out of that one, as being overpriced. They may well be right, but I figured it was still within the bounds of being reasonable.

Regards

Mike

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:36 pm 

mdr003 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:

I remember that one....  :lol:  I think you let the acaeum collective talk you out of that one, as being overpriced. They may well be right, but I figured it was still within the bounds of being reasonable.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, rub salt in the wound why dont you. :oops:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:40 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Thanks Mike, rub salt in the wound why dont you. :oops:

Don't worry, Brian. "Reasonable" Mike was also happy to pay $255 for SG #1. :)

All these numbers are relative, I guess.

PreviousNext