Silliest non-TSR auction price
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:38 pm 

That's true.... I've been after a copy of #1 for a while but didn't want to pay more than $100 for it.

Nice win on the Two Towers game earlier today.... thought I'd snagged it with 10 seconds to go.

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:39 pm 

*points to thread below (posted 30 seconds before)*

^^

=
$100 limit + patience should still work for WD #1, I'd hope.
Or else a larger collection & resale (more feasible in Oz, phps *g*).

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:44 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Nice win on the Two Towers game earlier today.... thought I'd snagged it with 10 seconds to go.

=>  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Thanks, Mike. Haven't seen one of those up for sale, before.

2nd chance offer on a bagged Bot5A and a reliable seller helped encourage the bidding...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:48 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Nice win on the Two Towers game earlier today.... thought I'd snagged it with 10 seconds to go.

Panzermeyer is my partner in the GenCon Auction, Ken Fonarow. He has a game store in Los Angeles, and owns one of the top wargame collections in the entire country.

If you ask nice I could introduce you, and ask him to give you a break since you're clients of mine...  :wink:

I swear he has two of everything -- even a 1st edition Tactics from AH. Public price is 10 grand, if you're interested.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:32 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Panzermeyer is my partner in the GenCon Auction, Ken Fonarow. He has a game store in Los Angeles, and owns one of the top wargame collections in the entire country.

The "Weekend Warrior" tag gave that away a long time back... ^^

Good guy; tho' I've only chatted w/him a couple of times (like when he had those SW'd Guidon Alexander & FITS up for sale).

ExTSR wrote:If you ask nice I could introduce you, and ask him to give you a break since you're clients of mine...  :wink:

I swear he has two of everything -- even a 1st edition Tactics from AH. Public price is 10 grand, if you're interested.

Heh, heh. I know when to draw the line. Thanks for mentioning, Frank! :)

Let's wait to see whether a second "Two Towers" turns up, then?
(And whether Mike just decides to let that run to a full auction to save $, if so ;))

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:45 am 

ExTSR wrote:

Panzermeyer is my partner in the GenCon Auction, Ken Fonarow. He has a game store in Los Angeles, and owns one of the top wargame collections in the entire country.

If you ask nice I could introduce you, and ask him to give you a break since you're clients of mine...  :wink:

Very nice guy...I have bought from him several times and his items are always better than described.  Hopefully will get to meet him (and others) next year at GenCon since I cannot go this year.

And on a silly price note....I wonder if the high bidder knows that the Lightning Class Cruiser supplement is missing from this Azhanti High Lightning game?

No way I would pay that much for an incomplete game.  That supplement doesnt show up very often by itself and when it does it usually goes for $20 or more.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:26 am 

Oh look...another Azhanti High Lighting with a ridiculous starting price.

At least that Valhalla sellers box is in good shape and shrinkwrapped.  This one looks like crap....and it is incomplete.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:00 pm 

These two sellers got their pricing idea from Valhalla Games.  They probably think they have priceless treasures on their hands.

One problem with a seller like Valhalla is that they raise the expectations of new sellers...making for some bad feelings when their dreams do not come true.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:46 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:These two sellers got their pricing idea from Valhalla Games.  They probably think they have priceless treasures on their hands.

One problem with a seller like Valhalla is that they raise the expectations of new sellers...making for some bad feelings when their dreams do not come true.

Mark   8)

But for sellers like me Valhalla games is like free advertising. When they have a game posted at $400 and the only other copy is in my store for $50, it gets snatched up pretty quick...  Buyer thinks they are getting an incredible deal and probably thinks the lower seller (me) is an idiot letting that $400 item go for such a cheap price..... :D  BTW, Creep does me a lot of favors like this (hope he keeps that $140 copy of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil in his store FOREVER!!!!)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:07 pm 

If you have, like, four or five of a few things, maybe you should send Creep some of your duplicates so he can place them in his store.   :wink:

Mark   :x

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:22 pm 

This is hideously sycophantic but, having purchased from quite a few of the members here, the best reasons for buyers to go to the sellers from this forum are (in no particular order)

1 very accurate description of the condition of the items
2 good packaging
3 no getting the arm in over shpping (or clear indications of the shipping charges on the auction : that covers everyone  :wink: )
4 good comms
5 a genuine interest in the hobby

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:00 pm 

You psychofant. ;>

Never bought anything from ME, tho... got any special wants/needs?

::pandering::

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:11 pm 

Another idea....

Create a new Ebay identity and make an Ebay store for it....

Suitably hide your tracks....

Overprice most of the things you are selling in your own store....

Depending on the cost of an Ebay store, you win no matter which one they purchase.  Is there a rule against that?

Mark   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:46 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Another idea....

Depending on the cost of an Ebay store, you win no matter which one they purchase.  Is there a rule against that?

Mark   8)

I was thinking the same thing.  The more ridiculous the overpricing the more effective the charade would be.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:49 pm 

Badmike wrote:But for sellers like me Valhalla games is like free advertising. When they have a game posted at $400 and the only other copy is in my store for $50, it gets snatched up pretty quick...  Buyer thinks they are getting an incredible deal and probably thinks the lower seller (me) is an idiot letting that $400 item go for such a cheap price..... :D  BTW, Creep does me a lot of favors like this (hope he keeps that $140 copy of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil in his store FOREVER!!!!)

Good for sellers, perhaps, but really screws around with the market, at large. :(

In many cases, eventually the prices go too high and almost nothing sells at the inflated "ask" (per the Rs) or the bubble bursts.
Wouldn't say that either is good for the hobby, personally.

MShipley88 wrote:Another idea....
Depending on the cost of an Ebay store, you win no matter which one they purchase. Is there a rule against that?

People here might wish to lynch anyone who does that, but I don't see how that's much different to benefiting from having someone else do the dirty work for you.

Just my 02c, anyhow...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:22 pm 

Madness I say!  8O

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:20 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Madness I say!

So send him a message: Put it on your Watch list. Tell everybody else to do the same. Costs nothing... and it'll drive him nuts, with 20 people Watching it and no bids at all.  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:00 pm 

You gotta love a game item listing that says, "Pay no interest until 2007."

PreviousNext