Silliest non-TSR auction price
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:08 am 

Blackmoor wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:
muaddib5 wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:
I got mine for a steal then!!!  :lol:

I sold one of these for $100 or so just a few months ago.  it was not mint though and had a coffee stain on some of the pages

I paid a bit more for my copy.  But way south of the $850-$1,000 price tag.  I originally bought two at the Gen Con they premiered at.  Ended up selling both and never thought I'd find a replacement.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:28 am 

muaddib5 wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:
Blackmoor wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:
I sold one of these for $100 or so just a few months ago.  it was not mint though and had a coffee stain on some of the pages

I paid a bit more for my copy.  But way south of the $850-$1,000 price tag.  I originally bought two at the Gen Con they premiered at.  Ended up selling both and never thought I'd find a replacement.

I can't post a link here, because it wont show, but Coug had 2 of these listed for $18,000.00 each.  

No, I'm not kidding either.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:29 am 

The only reason anyone would possibly disbelieve you is because you didn't say $20,000 even. One has to wonder what goes through what passes for a mind when he comes up with prices like that.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:54 pm 

Not sure if this should be in the Silliest thread or not really.  More of a thought exercise.

Even if it is a very rare item, would you pay this much for a mini that shows obvious signs of lead rot?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:08 pm 

SimperingToad wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:Not sure if this should be in the Silliest thread or not really.  More of a thought exercise.

Even if it is a very rare item, would you pay this much for a mini that shows obvious signs of lead rot?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I didn't think that was lead rot, just thought some of the pieces were tarnished. I don't see anything that looks like it is flaking off - I'd readily admit I don't have a lot of experience in minis though.

But, to answer your question. Since it's possible to pretty easily get rid of the rot and repair the damage. Yeah I could see it on one of the most desirable minis every made in the D&D era.

If you don't mind SimperingToad, could you point out what pieces you're saying have lead rot, I'd like to learn more about it since I'm a new collector of minis.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 am 

Mister Yuk wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:If you don't mind SimperingToad, could you point out what pieces you're saying have lead rot, I'd like to learn more about it since I'm a new collector of minis.

Lead rot is to lead what rust is to iron.  Iron rust looks like orange-brown flakes; lead rot looks like grey powder.  Both involve oxidation of the metal.  Both rust and lead rot damage the finer details first.  Looking at the images, it appears that multiple pieces of the miniature are affected by lead rot.  These are not easily repaired.  The main difference between lead rot and rust is that, while rust can give you tetanus through an open wound, lead rot can result in lead poisoning if "ingested."  Lead rot powder easily transfers to the skin, and then if the powder is then rubbed on the nose or lips, it can be ingested.  The best way to prevent lead rot is by thoroughly painting all your miniatures containing lead, including the bottom of the base.  At a minimum, coat miniatures with a protective coating, like a primer or Dulcote.  The higher the humidity, the more likely a miniature will succumb to lead rot.

And this is another reason why metal miniatures are not ideal for gaming or collecting.  And this comes from someone with a large metal minis collection.  The Bones line of minis from Reaper are the future in my opinion.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:44 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:
Mister Yuk wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:If you don't mind SimperingToad, could you point out what pieces you're saying have lead rot, I'd like to learn more about it since I'm a new collector of minis.

Lead rot is to lead what rust is to iron.  Iron rust looks like orange-brown flakes; lead rot looks like grey powder.  Both involve oxidation of the metal.  Both rust and lead rot damage the finer details first.  Looking at the images, it appears that multiple pieces of the miniature are affected by lead rot.  These are not easily repaired.  The main difference between lead rot and rust is that, while rust can give you tetanus through an open wound, lead rot can result in lead poisoning if "ingested."  Lead rot powder easily transfers to the skin, and then if the powder is then rubbed on the nose or lips, it can be ingested.  The best way to prevent lead rot is by thoroughly painting all your miniatures containing lead, including the bottom of the base.  At a minimum, coat miniatures with a protective coating, like a primer or Dulcote.  The higher the humidity, the more likely a miniature will succumb to lead rot.

And this is another reason why metal miniatures are not ideal for gaming or collecting.  And this comes from someone with a large metal minis collection.  The Bones line of minis from Reaper are the future in my opinion.  8)

So all of the dull gray on the various pieces, some just in parts of it and others the whole piece are the rot you are speaking of? I was wondering if some of the pieces weren't just primered in gray. This is very good to know.

Attachment:
lead rot.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:28 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:So all of the dull gray on the various pieces, some just in parts of it and others the whole piece are the rot you are speaking of? I was wondering if some of the pieces weren't just primered in gray. This is very good to know.

While I can't tell for sure just from a photograph, the darker gray areas are what I suspect show lead rot.  It appears that ridges show the darker grays, and the recessed areas are more often lighter gray in color.  You can also notice some spotting of darker gray areas just like rust often shows up as spots on iron.  The color variations on these mini parts does not appear to be from primer.  Early primer was often white, but not necessarily white.

Many early minis had excessive flash, obvious mold lines and other problems, including places where the metal content was not consistent.  In other words, miniature companies mixed various metals together, including lead, to create their their miniatures, and the metal didn't always mix or settle consistently.  The science improved as demand and production increased.  This is one reason why lead rot shows up quicker on some places that others since the lead content sometimes varies from place to place.   8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:54 pm 

While I can't tell for sure just from a photograph, the darker gray areas are what I suspect show lead rot.  It appears that ridges show the darker grays, and the recessed areas are more often lighter gray in color.  You can also notice some spotting of darker gray areas just like rust often shows up as spots on iron.  The color variations on these mini parts does not appear to be from primer.  Early primer was often white, but not necessarily white.

Many early minis had excessive flash, obvious mold lines and other problems, including places where the metal content was not consistent.  In other words, miniature companies mixed various metals together, including lead, to create their their miniatures, and the metal didn't always mix or settle consistently.  The science improved as demand and production increased.  This is one reason why lead rot shows up quicker on some places that others since the lead content sometimes varies from place to place.   8)

Thanks benjoshua, yet another reason to be wary of purchases made online!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:37 pm 

The heads I think are definite. The spots on the legs probably as well. Not sure about the hand/club and the arm piece, though. Might just be a oddity from the mix. I do recall a few pieces from BITD that were simply dark from the metal mix.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:04 am 

I was bummed that this particular Citadel Giant was A) incomplete and B) possibly suffering from lead rot. I can understand someone taking a chance on it, hoping that they would be able to find the missing piece and that the lead rot was perhaps just tarnish. In any event, too risky for me to chance that much money on.

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:32 pm 

I was talking to someone last night that was familiar with these Citadel pieces. He was pretty certain too that it was all Lead Rot.

I've purchased a few Grenadier and Archive minis, I'm going through them pretty carefully right now. Some of them are quite tarnished but don't seem to be flaking.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:17 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:Some of them are quite tarnished but don't seem to be flaking.

Remember, they won't flake, they'll powder.  It may feel like they are dusty.  And even if they aren't leaving powder in your hands, make sure you don't touch your face while handling them and wash your hands when you are done.   8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:48 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:Some of them are quite tarnished but don't seem to be flaking.

Remember, they won't flake, they'll powder.  It may feel like they are dusty.  And even if they aren't leaving powder in your hands, make sure you don't touch your face while handling them and wash your hands when you are done.   8)

Thanks, will do

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:08 am 

Seriously? I usually just lick it off my fingers.
Headaches, stomach cramps, memory loss and tingling in the fingers and toes are symptoms of poisoning, but those are also associated with marriage so be sure to have a doctor check you out. I think I recall the level of safe lead caps at 1 decigram per 10 grams. Might be wrong, my brain doesn't seem to work so well anymore............. Anyways, if you really want to avoid lead use those hand condoms people typically use for dishes and whatnot. Lead can easily get in through a skin break, and hands are the most often injured portion of the body. I use the ones that come in a box with about a hundred, they're really cheap and worth using.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:06 pm 

Deadlord wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:Anyways, if you really want to avoid lead use those hand condoms people typically use for dishes and whatnot. Lead can easily get in through a skin break, and hands are the most often injured portion of the body. I use the ones that come in a box with about a hundred, they're really cheap and worth using.

Or, if you are as fortunate as I am, and happen to work in the medical field, swipe some exam gloves and use those...  :roll:  8O  :lol:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:16 pm 

MadCatUSA wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:
Deadlord wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:Anyways, if you really want to avoid lead use those hand condoms people typically use for dishes and whatnot. Lead can easily get in through a skin break, and hands are the most often injured portion of the body. I use the ones that come in a box with about a hundred, they're really cheap and worth using.

Or, if you are as fortunate as I am, and happen to work in the medical field, swipe some exam gloves and use those...  :roll:  8O  :lol:

Preferably unused ones.  :mrgreen:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:09 pm 

You all got me thinking about something. I've been collecting used D&D stuff, Books, modules, and the like. So besides that half the people in the country don't wash their hands after they use the bathroom and other various nastiness of the squawler that some people live in. I guess I need to add that some of these may have lead contamination because they may have played with minis while using their books and such.  :idea:

PreviousNext