Silliest non-TSR auction price
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:06 pm 

This might be worth $24 if it had the miniatures attached. But $24 for a backing card? And if that wasn't bad enough, how about tacking on $6 for shipping? Sheesh, why not throw in a case of lead poisoning while we're at it.

** expired eBay auction **

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:33 pm 

I guess it's wurf it because it's laminated

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:27 am 

Mister Yuk wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:I guess it's wurf it because it's laminated

Hm. New laminated. Interesting concept.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:14 am 

Am I getting this wrong. If it's laminated, how does one read it?
Just want to be sure there isn't some usage of "laminate" by collectors I didn't know.
Be well,
--Ron--

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:46 am 

Laminate is just a transparent plastic covering, almost like melting the bags you use to protect modules onto the module itself. It's a permanent book condom.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:55 am 

Deadlord wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:Laminate is just a transparent plastic covering, almost like melting the bags you use to protect modules onto the module itself. It's a permanent book condom.

From this point on, I'm going to ask, "Do you know where this book has been?" before I touch another laminated book
;-).  Thanks for that :-).

“When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes!” -Winston Zeddemore

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:51 am 

Skullhammer wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:
Deadlord wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:Laminate is just a transparent plastic covering, almost like melting the bags you use to protect modules onto the module itself. It's a permanent book condom.

From this point on, I'm going to ask, "Do you know where this book has been?" before I touch another laminated book

I seriously LOLed from your comment Skull. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:29 pm 

If you recall how excited we got as teens over stuff like the Player's Handbook (no pun intended), it might actually make sense to ask. Most other teens had issues of Playboy hidden away; we had D1-2-3, B1, X1.................

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:11 pm 

Skullhammer wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:

:lol:
--Ron--

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:42 am 

And it's a new track record:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:43 am 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:08 am 

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:57 am 

burntwire brothers wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I got mine for a steal then!!!  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:02 pm 

muaddib5 wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:
burntwire brothers wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I sold one of these for $100 or so just a few months ago.  it was not mint though and had a coffee stain on some of the pages

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:08 am 

Blackmoor wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:

I sold one of these for $100 or so just a few months ago.  it was not mint though and had a coffee stain on some of the pages

I paid a bit more for my copy.  But way south of the $850-$1,000 price tag.  I originally bought two at the Gen Con they premiered at.  Ended up selling both and never thought I'd find a replacement.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:28 am 

Blackmoor wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:

I paid a bit more for my copy.  But way south of the $850-$1,000 price tag.  I originally bought two at the Gen Con they premiered at.  Ended up selling both and never thought I'd find a replacement.

I can't post a link here, because it wont show, but Coug had 2 of these listed for $18,000.00 each.  

No, I'm not kidding either.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:29 am 

The only reason anyone would possibly disbelieve you is because you didn't say $20,000 even. One has to wonder what goes through what passes for a mind when he comes up with prices like that.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:54 pm 

Not sure if this should be in the Silliest thread or not really.  More of a thought exercise.

Even if it is a very rare item, would you pay this much for a mini that shows obvious signs of lead rot?

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:08 pm 

SimperingToad wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:Not sure if this should be in the Silliest thread or not really.  More of a thought exercise.

Even if it is a very rare item, would you pay this much for a mini that shows obvious signs of lead rot?

I didn't think that was lead rot, just thought some of the pieces were tarnished. I don't see anything that looks like it is flaking off - I'd readily admit I don't have a lot of experience in minis though.

But, to answer your question. Since it's possible to pretty easily get rid of the rot and repair the damage. Yeah I could see it on one of the most desirable minis every made in the D&D era.

If you don't mind SimperingToad, could you point out what pieces you're saying have lead rot, I'd like to learn more about it since I'm a new collector of minis.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 am 

Mister Yuk wrote in Silliest non-TSR auction price:If you don't mind SimperingToad, could you point out what pieces you're saying have lead rot, I'd like to learn more about it since I'm a new collector of minis.

Lead rot is to lead what rust is to iron.  Iron rust looks like orange-brown flakes; lead rot looks like grey powder.  Both involve oxidation of the metal.  Both rust and lead rot damage the finer details first.  Looking at the images, it appears that multiple pieces of the miniature are affected by lead rot.  These are not easily repaired.  The main difference between lead rot and rust is that, while rust can give you tetanus through an open wound, lead rot can result in lead poisoning if "ingested."  Lead rot powder easily transfers to the skin, and then if the powder is then rubbed on the nose or lips, it can be ingested.  The best way to prevent lead rot is by thoroughly painting all your miniatures containing lead, including the bottom of the base.  At a minimum, coat miniatures with a protective coating, like a primer or Dulcote.  The higher the humidity, the more likely a miniature will succumb to lead rot.

And this is another reason why metal miniatures are not ideal for gaming or collecting.  And this comes from someone with a large metal minis collection.  The Bones line of minis from Reaper are the future in my opinion.  8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

PreviousNext