Silliest non-TSR auction price
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 68 of 87123 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 858687
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:58 am 

mnw wrote:Well that's good to know MB, I'll bear it in mind as I go about my own business. Here's my ebay feedback, lots of comments about the packaging you can use to reinforce your incontrovertible points. My ambition is to provide packaging very much as good as your own (which is excellent). I was relieved when the several hundreds of pounds worth of items I bought from you arrived in great shape. Thank you for that.

That wasn't a personal attack. It was an observation of my own reaction to listings, and a reflection of the experiences of som buyers here on the forum. I'm sure we are all educated enough here on what is a collector's forum to know what is expected when one collector sells an item to another, and I would be surprised if anyone here received a poorly packaged item from another collector. I was pointing out that photography and presentation is an indicator symptomatic of a certain type of seller and level of care, and if you want to ensure that you are not percieved that way, do not present your product that way.

mnw wrote:LOL, those lower socio-economic types, what can you do with them?

Shoot them. It'd be a start. But then JK would be out of a job.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:01 am 

(aside, for ref./context)
lokiwookie wrote:The sole 1st ed. boxed set that I remember going for over $400 is the 1st 1st print ever made, sold 3 years ago (more?).

Plateaued at $650; ended at $810. Only the "first out of the box" - as usually the case, owing to lack of intervention at the printers!

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:05 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I'm sure we are all educated enough here on what is a collector's forum to know what is expected when one collector sells an item to another, and I would be surprised if anyone here received a poorly packaged item from another collector.

Not so much. I've received a couple of carelessly, poorly packaged items over the years from a particular collector here. No need to go into it again. I think it was just that I didn't rate. Luckily they were both cheap items (cheaper now).

mbassoc2003 wrote:Shoot them. It'd be a start. But then JK would be out of a job.

Do you ever give it a rest?

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am 

:lol:

8O  I must have missed that tale.
I've always been pleased with the care people here take with shipping.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:33 am 

mnw wrote:
5-6 years would be outside the window I followed these things.

faro wrote:(aside, for ref./context)

Plateaued at $650; ended at $810. Only the "first out of the box" - as usually the case, owing to lack of intervention at the printers!

5 years ago... already...
It is before that I had seen the DX boxed set I remember. So, 6-7 years ago.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Last edited by lokiwookie on Mon May 16, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:43 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I was pointing out that photography and presentation is an indicator symptomatic of a certain type of seller and level of care, and if you want to ensure that you are not percieved that way, do not present your product that way.

I dont agree with this at all.  I've purchased items from quite a few people over the years that didnt use photographs or scans and couldnt have been happier with the product I received.  Badmike didnt start putting photos on his auctions until he realized that he could make more money by doing so.  :wink:

On the flip side, I've made a lot of purchases where the photo or scan looked perfect but the item received didnt match what I saw on the auction at all.  Good photographers know how to hide flaws after all.

And I own a pretty nice camera.  I enjoy photography and have thought about turning it into a hobby one of these days.  I've read up on lighting and technique enough to know how to get the best out of my photos.  And I also know that getting a perfect photo 100% of the time is pretty difficult.  I have a photo of every item I own and there are still a few items that come out a bit blurry due to the colors of the cover not working with the light where I take the photos.  I could move them to a different location or change the light, but I, nor a lot of other people, really have the time to do that.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:34 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
I dont agree with this at all.  I've purchased items from quite a few people over the years that didnt use photographs or scans and couldnt have been happier with the product I received.  Badmike didnt start putting photos on his auctions until he realized that he could make more money by doing so.  :wink:

Yeh I was a late holdout there. And I was still hauling all my packages to the post office for postage instead of printing out shipping at home. Dumb, dumb, dumb.... :wink:

But, I will say no picture (or a nice scan) is 100 times better than a crappy photo, which could end up HURTING your chances of selling the item.  I use scans for probably 80% of my images, they work just fine.

Just realize that nowadays everyone expects a photo/scan.  Not giving them what they want may lead to a much lower selling price.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:39 am 

Badmike wrote:
Yeh I was a late holdout there. And I was still hauling all my packages to the post office for postage instead of printing out shipping at home. Dumb, dumb, dumb....

Mike B.

Printing out your shipping is cheaper than sending it to the post office?

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:38 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote:

Printing out your shipping is cheaper than sending it to the post office?

Depends on the shipping method, but quite often it is.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:28 am 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

and

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Sat May 21, 2011 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:29 am 

Probably not relevant to collectors here, but this mini is going through the roof....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ral-Partha-Battlete ... 1e63b84dbc

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:38 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Probably not relevant to collectors here, but this mini is going through the roof....

Okay, I'll bite.  Why?  Is it truly rare?

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:51 am 

Apparently because it has a little logo stamped on the wing and is associated with a game Infocom released back in the 80's. Otherwise it's the same a standard mech. I just thought it was amazing people would go that high on a single lead mini.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:54 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Apparently because it has a little logo stamped on the wing and is associated with a game Infocom released back in the 80's. Otherwise it's the same a standard mech. I just thought it was amazing people would go that high on a single lead mini.

The Infocom version of the Phoenix Hawk LAM is doubly-rare because it is a promo figure

. . . http://yois.if-legends.org/vault.php?id=1247

and one of the infringing mechs that FASA made.

. . . http://brianscache.com/unseen/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:35 pm 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Wow...  8O  :roll:

Troll & Toad....

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:44 pm 

I'll sell my shrinkwrapped copy for an even $300.  Bargain!

Any takers?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:34 pm 

Get your hands on a plethora of 3E books for a mere $50.25 per book. What a bargain!

http://cgi.ebay.com/collection-3-5-plus ... 4cf79a485b

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:15 am 

SimperingToad wrote:Get your hands on a plethora of 3E books for a mere $50.25 per book. What a bargain!

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Made a "Best Offer" of $30.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 68 of 87123 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 858687