Silliest non-TSR auction price
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 66 of 87123 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 858687
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:17 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:
Remember, price asked is not price sold for...

I'm new to looking at Traveller stuff, but I assume this lot is more like a $40 purchase.

Thought it was an ended auction for some reason. Price stickers on the front covers usually bump the value up a bit. These have two stickers per book, so maybe it's not too unrealistic.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:35 pm 

mnw wrote:
Price stickers on the front covers usually bump the value up a bit. These have two stickers per book, so maybe it's not too unrealistic.

Really? I personally would much rather have a sticker-free book. Unless the sticker was from the Dungeon Hobby Shop or the Armory in Baltimore or something.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:07 pm 

mnw wrote:Price stickers on the front covers usually bump the value up a bit. These have two stickers per book, so maybe it's not too unrealistic.

I think this is sarcasm.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:14 pm 

Mars wrote:
I think this is sarcasm.

Ah, I'm immune (i.e., clueless) :).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:25 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:I'm new to looking at Traveller stuff, but I assume this lot is more like a $40 purchase.

If you are looking at Traveller stuff, you should check out Crazy Egor.  I think he still has a number of books that he regularly sells for $1 each.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:30 am 

Mars wrote:
If you are looking at Traveller stuff, you should check out Crazy Egor.  I think he still has a number of books that he regularly sells for $1 each.

Looking is the operative word.  As in, "For now, I'm just looking as I consider whether adding another 35 year old line to my want list is a terrible idea or just a bad idea."

:wink:

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:49 am 

TheHistorian wrote:
Looking is the operative word.  As in, "For now, I'm just looking as I consider whether adding another 35 year old line to my want list is a terrible idea or just a bad idea."

:wink:

:lol:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:13 am 

I still think it's the best all in one RPG book ever, but this is a bit much:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I'll assume the extra 1 is a typo...  :roll:

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:07 pm 

Assuredly rare, but I still thought this was waaaaaay too much:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0317544597

By way of comparison, I bought a regular 1st print set in December, in nicer shape, with the original dice, for about $80.  So that's about a $400 signature tonight.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:32 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Assuredly rare, but I still thought this was waaaaaay too much:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

By way of comparison, I bought a regular 1st print set in December, in nicer shape, with the original dice, for about $80.  So that's about a $400 signature tonight.

I've bought and sold a few of these now and this price is about $100 down on the norm, the last four all went for over $500. I agree, the exclusivity does tend to raise the price well beyond the regular ten-a-penny standard boxes, I guess somebody wanted to complete their collection. Good luck to them, hope they enjoy it. Some call it silly, others call it supply and demand.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:35 pm 

Surprising that only five have been accounted for: probably a factor in that markup, for the time being.

Some people might pay as much for a sheet of plastic wrapped around the 1st print as you paid for the box itself, so it's best not to be looking too close for logic in pricing. Signatures and dustwrappers on "modern 1st edition" books have many examples more extreme than the above, so perhaps it's not unexpected that /some/ RPG items follow suit.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:56 am 

mnw wrote:
I've bought and sold a few of these now and this price is about $100 down on the norm, the last four all went for over $500. I agree, the exclusivity does tend to raise the price well beyond the regular ten-a-penny standard boxes, I guess somebody wanted to complete their collection. Good luck to them, hope they enjoy it. Some call it silly, others call it supply and demand.

Any idea how often these come up ? It was the first one I saw on ebay and would have loved to have this in the collection but came in second unfortunately.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:03 am 

The only one I have seen during the last 3-4 years IIRC. I was astonished by the price. The last one I remember sold for 120-130£, long time ago...  (so I was rather confident with my 136£ bid :( )
The sole 1st ed. boxed set that I remember going for over $400 is the 1st 1st print ever made, sold 3 years ago (more?).

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:07 am 

One would think for such a rare and expensive item the seller could manage to post a picture that did not make your eyes water looking at it.

Though I suppose given the theme of the game it somehow... fits.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:15 am 

xRalphx wrote:
Any idea how often these come up ? It was the first one I saw on ebay and would have loved to have this in the collection but came in second unfortunately.

I've seen 4 over the last 4 years, not evenly spaced. However I haven't been actively looking for them for about 2 years so maybe the rate is closer to 2 a year (wild guess). Most are tucked away in collections forever I suppose. I have another one in much better condition to auction shortly.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:18 am 

lokiwookie wrote:The only one I have seen during the last 3-4 years IIRC. I was astonished by the price. The last one I remember sold for 120-130£, long time ago...  (so I was rather confident with my 136£ bid :( )
The sole 1st ed. boxed set that I remember going for over $400 is the 1st 1st print ever made, sold 3 years ago (more?).

Last 3 prices were all just shy of $600, 2 in 2007 and 1 in 2008. £120-£130 would have been a steal, I'm surprised I missed that one.

Shame this conversation is taking place in the Silly Auctions thread, considering this is a genuine collectible.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:21 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:One would think for such a rare and expensive item the seller could manage to post a picture that did not make your eyes water looking at it.

Though I suppose given the theme of the game it somehow... fits.

Best I could do with a crappy camera which had the shutter button in a ridiculous position, in adverse lighting and with no steadying device. The main features were covered adequately I think.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:49 am 

Dont know what equivilant you might have for a superstore chain in the UK, but my palm sized digital camera was purchased about 5 years ago for under $100 at Walmart.
Of course after that much time it is obsolete now, but it still takes decent  pictures.
And it even has a closeup feature, though I have never been able to take close up pictures of Miniatures like most mini sellers on e-bay do.
They must have a better newer camera (surely)... with much better optics.

I think a similar camera to mine could be bought for much less now and would probably be better.

Just saying...

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 66 of 87123 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 858687