Silliest non-TSR auction price
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 60 of 77123 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 757677
Author


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 450
Joined: Jun 24, 2007
Last Visit: Sep 17, 2012
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:17 pm 
 

TheHistorian wrote:
Remember, price asked is not price sold for...

I'm new to looking at Traveller stuff, but I assume this lot is more like a $40 purchase.


Thought it was an ended auction for some reason. Price stickers on the front covers usually bump the value up a bit. These have two stickers per book, so maybe it's not too unrealistic.

  

User avatar

** Banned **

Posts: 1213
Joined: Aug 04, 2009
Last Visit: Nov 02, 2013

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:35 pm 
 

mnw wrote:
Price stickers on the front covers usually bump the value up a bit. These have two stickers per book, so maybe it's not too unrealistic.


Really? I personally would much rather have a sticker-free book. Unless the sticker was from the Dungeon Hobby Shop or the Armory in Baltimore or something.


Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6096
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Oct 26, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:07 pm 
 

mnw wrote:Price stickers on the front covers usually bump the value up a bit. These have two stickers per book, so maybe it's not too unrealistic.


I think this is sarcasm.

 WWW  

User avatar

** Banned **

Posts: 1213
Joined: Aug 04, 2009
Last Visit: Nov 02, 2013

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:14 pm 
 

Mars wrote:
I think this is sarcasm.


Ah, I'm immune (i.e., clueless) :).


Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6096
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Oct 26, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:25 pm 
 

TheHistorian wrote:I'm new to looking at Traveller stuff, but I assume this lot is more like a $40 purchase.


If you are looking at Traveller stuff, you should check out Crazy Egor.  I think he still has a number of books that he regularly sells for $1 each.

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2566
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Last Visit: Sep 20, 2021
Location: Seattle, WA

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:30 am 
 

Mars wrote:
If you are looking at Traveller stuff, you should check out Crazy Egor.  I think he still has a number of books that he regularly sells for $1 each.


Looking is the operative word.  As in, "For now, I'm just looking as I consider whether adding another 35 year old line to my want list is a terrible idea or just a bad idea."

:wink:


Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:49 am 
 

TheHistorian wrote:
Looking is the operative word.  As in, "For now, I'm just looking as I consider whether adding another 35 year old line to my want list is a terrible idea or just a bad idea."

:wink:


:lol:


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2566
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Last Visit: Sep 20, 2021
Location: Seattle, WA

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:13 am 
 

I still think it's the best all in one RPG book ever, but this is a bit much:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **





I'll assume the extra 1 is a typo...  :roll:


Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2566
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Last Visit: Sep 20, 2021
Location: Seattle, WA

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:07 pm 
 

Assuredly rare, but I still thought this was waaaaaay too much:



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0317544597





By way of comparison, I bought a regular 1st print set in December, in nicer shape, with the original dice, for about $80.  So that's about a $400 signature tonight.


Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 450
Joined: Jun 24, 2007
Last Visit: Sep 17, 2012
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:32 pm 
 

TheHistorian wrote:Assuredly rare, but I still thought this was waaaaaay too much:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

By way of comparison, I bought a regular 1st print set in December, in nicer shape, with the original dice, for about $80.  So that's about a $400 signature tonight.




I've bought and sold a few of these now and this price is about $100 down on the norm, the last four all went for over $500. I agree, the exclusivity does tend to raise the price well beyond the regular ten-a-penny standard boxes, I guess somebody wanted to complete their collection. Good luck to them, hope they enjoy it. Some call it silly, others call it supply and demand.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:35 pm 
 

Surprising that only five have been accounted for: probably a factor in that markup, for the time being.

Some people might pay as much for a sheet of plastic wrapped around the 1st print as you paid for the box itself, so it's best not to be looking too close for logic in pricing. Signatures and dustwrappers on "modern 1st edition" books have many examples more extreme than the above, so perhaps it's not unexpected that /some/ RPG items follow suit.


"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 326
Joined: Dec 28, 2009
Last Visit: Oct 17, 2020
Location: Belgium

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:56 am 
 

mnw wrote:
I've bought and sold a few of these now and this price is about $100 down on the norm, the last four all went for over $500. I agree, the exclusivity does tend to raise the price well beyond the regular ten-a-penny standard boxes, I guess somebody wanted to complete their collection. Good luck to them, hope they enjoy it. Some call it silly, others call it supply and demand.


Any idea how often these come up ? It was the first one I saw on ebay and would have loved to have this in the collection but came in second unfortunately.

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2496
Joined: Feb 07, 2006
Last Visit: Oct 26, 2021
Location: France / Cité des Papes

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:03 am 
 

The only one I have seen during the last 3-4 years IIRC. I was astonished by the price. The last one I remember sold for 120-130£, long time ago...  (so I was rather confident with my 136£ bid :( )
The sole 1st ed. boxed set that I remember going for over $400 is the 1st 1st print ever made, sold 3 years ago (more?).


Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:07 am 
 

One would think for such a rare and expensive item the seller could manage to post a picture that did not make your eyes water looking at it.

Though I suppose given the theme of the game it somehow... fits.


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 450
Joined: Jun 24, 2007
Last Visit: Sep 17, 2012
Location: UK

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:15 am 
 

xRalphx wrote:
Any idea how often these come up ? It was the first one I saw on ebay and would have loved to have this in the collection but came in second unfortunately.


I've seen 4 over the last 4 years, not evenly spaced. However I haven't been actively looking for them for about 2 years so maybe the rate is closer to 2 a year (wild guess). Most are tucked away in collections forever I suppose. I have another one in much better condition to auction shortly.

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 450
Joined: Jun 24, 2007
Last Visit: Sep 17, 2012
Location: UK

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:18 am 
 

lokiwookie wrote:The only one I have seen during the last 3-4 years IIRC. I was astonished by the price. The last one I remember sold for 120-130£, long time ago...  (so I was rather confident with my 136£ bid :( )
The sole 1st ed. boxed set that I remember going for over $400 is the 1st 1st print ever made, sold 3 years ago (more?).


Last 3 prices were all just shy of $600, 2 in 2007 and 1 in 2008. £120-£130 would have been a steal, I'm surprised I missed that one.

Shame this conversation is taking place in the Silly Auctions thread, considering this is a genuine collectible.

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 450
Joined: Jun 24, 2007
Last Visit: Sep 17, 2012
Location: UK

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:21 am 
 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:One would think for such a rare and expensive item the seller could manage to post a picture that did not make your eyes water looking at it.

Though I suppose given the theme of the game it somehow... fits.


Best I could do with a crappy camera which had the shutter button in a ridiculous position, in adverse lighting and with no steadying device. The main features were covered adequately I think.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:49 am 
 

Dont know what equivilant you might have for a superstore chain in the UK, but my palm sized digital camera was purchased about 5 years ago for under $100 at Walmart.
Of course after that much time it is obsolete now, but it still takes decent  pictures.
And it even has a closeup feature, though I have never been able to take close up pictures of Miniatures like most mini sellers on e-bay do.
They must have a better newer camera (surely)... with much better optics.

I think a similar camera to mine could be bought for much less now and would probably be better.

Just saying...


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 450
Joined: Jun 24, 2007
Last Visit: Sep 17, 2012
Location: UK

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:57 am 
 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Dont know what equivilant you might have for a superstore chain in the UK, but my palm sized digital camera was purchased about 5 years ago for under $100 at Walmart.
Of course after that much time it is obsolete now, but it still takes decent  pictures.
And it even has a closeup feature, though I have never been able to take close up pictures of Miniatures like most mini sellers on e-bay do.
They must have a better newer camera (surely)... with much better optics.

I think a similar camera to mine could be bought for much less now and would probably be better.

Just saying...


I have (had) a great (not so great after all) camera which is now well and truly %$!!^£ for reasons unknown and at 1am in the morning my only option was to fall back to a 6 year old piece of junk. That said, it was still working after 6 years which is more than can be said for my whizz-bang 1 year old camera that cost an arm and a leg.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6442
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Oct 27, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:06 am 
 

Here in the UK we have Walmart too, but it's called Asda.Walmart. They sell cheap stuff to the lower socio-economic occupants in society, and can be hilarious if you like to see the types of freaks that bread at that end of the spectrum. It's one only store I know of where you can find shoppers in dressing gowns dragging their spawn around by the hair, or a drunk guy giving his bitch a slapping. They open '24 hours' here, but Asda.Walmart define '24 hour opening' as 'between '6am and Midnight'. That's because most of their clientelle cannot read or count anyways.

It seems that Walmart has a higher profile in the US. We have the same thing with stores called Brittish Home Stores and C&A, both of which are real cheap [email protected], but in Europe they are considered to be high class UK clothing.

I'm guessing things like Tommy Hilfiger, Gap and Calvin Clien are the other way round. We see then as being desirable prestigoius names over here. Are they the same in the US, or are they just everyday bog standard highstreet names in the US?

To be fair to Walmart, they aren't the bottom of the food chain in the UK. There is a chain called Lidl that is a bit worse. But only just.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 60 of 77123 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 757677