Silliest non-TSR auction price
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 63 of 87123 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 858687
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Afterthought: Given that smarmy was able to sell one, without advertising the word shrink, in about five seconds for only a little less, I'm not sure how much price inflation was actually created in the first place.

Sorry for the confusion. That was another seller from these boards, Zenopus, who sold the second PoTVQ reprint.  My copy will remain with me for many years to come, shrink or no shrink. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:07 am 

anyway, this is better -- and the price scored is considered a "bargain," mind you (sometimes fetches more than 300 euros):

** expired/removed eBay auction **

esse quam videri.

WWW ICQ  

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:58 am 

TheHistorian:

Well it seems that no one agrees with me about my concerns over the description of the first copy of PotVQ (Reprint) sold this past weekend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0501362480

So I am dropping it here and now before flames erupt.

Hope you will do the same. :)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:11 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:TheHistorian:
Well it seems that no one agrees with me about my concerns over the description of the first copy of PotVQ (Reprint) sold this past weekend.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I actually do agree with you to some extent; I just don't think it's as bad as you do.  A matter of degree.

Anyway, forgotten.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:32 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:TheHistorian:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Technically, that looks like the "SW" that it came in. But, it would have been more appropriate to state "sealed in original bag".  The bag doesn't appear to have been opened.  When you try to pull open the packing tape that was used to seal these, it would almost certainly damage or distort the bag.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:48 pm 

ryan cover your eyes. in my opinion, there is nothing inherently aesthetic or valuable about shrinkwrap, except that, if it is original shrinkwrap, it means that an item hasn't been mucked with (or in the case of a boxed set, ENOUGH strategically placed shrinkwrap means the box has been unable to be opened and the contents are therefore complete. so, while i believe it was absolutely wrong for the seller to reference "shrink", dbartman is probably correct in writing that the item had never been opened or touched, which is the only real value shrinkwrap actually has. OKAY RYAN you can come back to the thread now.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:57 pm 

dbartman wrote:
Technically, that looks like the "SW" that it came in. But, it would have been more appropriate to state "sealed in original bag".  The bag doesn't appear to have been opened.  When you try to pull open the packing tape that was used to seal these, it would almost certainly damage or distort the bag.

No it wouldn't and not all of them had packing tape anyway.
I opened all of my copies to scan the books. (See the thread on this board)
I then placed them carefully back into the baggies that are NOT Shrink Wrap.
The baggies are not torn, or crumpled, or damaged, or distorted...
And no one would know that I had done so if I did not tell them.

At the convention many of the bags were opened to view the books before the buyers paid for them.
I watched this happen many times during the convention.

While still at the convention I was lucky in that Tim Kask and Dennis Sustare agreed to sign the Modules they produced (Wrote).
After they signed them I placed the modules back into the BAGGIES...

They are 8-1/2" x 12" plastic sleeves with the digest-sized books placed into the bags (sideways).
The books were simply inserted and slid to the bottom of the bag and the top portion of the bag was then folded over and the bag taped shut...

That aint Shrink Wrap.... not even technically.... :roll:
It is a normal COMMON Plastic baggie folks... :lol:
Every one of us who collects these things, uses the same sort of BAGGIES on GOBS of modules and books in our collections and none of us would try to pass those BAGGIES off as Shrink Wrap!  :arrow:

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 pm 

I opened mine and tossed the bag!  

Oh well I guess it is worthless now  :lol:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:10 pm 

i agree with you gnat that the seller should never have used the word shrink. the reason that i was agreeing with dbartman that the items had probably not been opened (prior to the taking of the picture anyway) was that when i got my copies in the mail after the convention, and i tried very carefully to open them, i was unable to open them without leaving tape residue behind (i had contemplated putting them back in to those bags for permanent storage). could someone have successfully accomplished what i could not? of course.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:51 pm 

stratochamp wrote:ryan cover your eyes. in my opinion, there is nothing inherently aesthetic or valuable about shrinkwrap, except that, if it is original shrinkwrap, it means that an item hasn't been mucked with (or in the case of a boxed set, ENOUGH strategically placed shrinkwrap means the box has been unable to be opened and the contents are therefore complete. so, while i believe it was absolutely wrong for the seller to reference "shrink", dbartman is probably correct in writing that the item had never been opened or touched, which is the only real value shrinkwrap actually has. OKAY RYAN you can come back to the thread now.

Whew!!! That was a close one.  Glad you warned me. ;)

(Honestly, I started down the road of shrink collecting after getting burned on eBay with incomplete items and not just because the shrink was shiny, beautiful and mesmerizing.)  I would much rather have a NM copy of a module than a dinged, spine creased copy in shrink any day of the week; however, when you get a NM copy in original shrink, complete and untouched by grubby gamer hands, that is a true beauty to behold. :)

The crazy price for the PoTVQ reprint in shrink is akin to the insane prices for Castle Zagyg in shrink - neither was ever originally sold shrink wrapped!  The 'shrink' keyword would have certainly appeared in many of our eBay searches, but from the photo, you can clearly see the bag.  Most shrink collectors would have sent a question prior to bidding or buying especially if the shrink did not appear to be genuine.  Also, I would think someone out to generally deceive would have a BIN on the item instead of using the auction format.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:55 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:the insane prices for Castle Zagyg in shrink - neither was ever originally sold shrink wrapped!

That one depends exactly where one draws the line.  I bought two new copies off the shelf of my FLGS.  Maybe Troll Lord didn't shrink them, but a distributor (or I suppose the store), did.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:06 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:
That one depends exactly where one draws the line.  I bought two new copies off the shelf of my FLGS.  Maybe Troll Lord didn't shrink them, but a distributor (or I suppose the store), did.

Good point!  I would still consider 'distributor' or store shrink as after-market and not as interesting nor as collectible as original, manufacturer's shrink. :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:21 am 

Blackmoor wrote:I opened mine and tossed the bag!  

Oh well I guess it is worthless now  :lol:

Well since they are valueless, I will take it off your hands, Jeff! I will even cover your inititial cost minus the 25 cents for the plastic bag  :D

I think the fact that most of us that purchased the reprint are not going to let them go, I can see people paying big dollars for them. Even at $100 +/- it is still a deal if you really want a copy and can't afford the going rate.

Now, I am not saying these reprints should be worth $150, but I do have an extra. :lol:

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:40 am 

Yes, I agree with you Bill.

Shrink Wrapped or not, bagged or not; I do not think the sales prices for those two is all that high as the run was so small and it is an officially authorized reprint of such a rare and historically significant item.

I have copies of the reprint and I do not plan to sell one either.
However; if any of you other folks want to get rid of your worthless bagless copy(s), let me know…  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:05 pm 

Since were on the topic (and it fits in the thread):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rappan-Athuk-Reload ... 20b6cb3748

Grading is subjective.  Missing shrink-wrap is not.  It either is or its not.  Unless someone figured out how to apply quantam entaglement to box sets.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:25 pm 

stylean wrote:Since were on the topic (and it fits in the thread):

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Grading is subjective.  Missing shrink-wrap is not.  It either is or its not.  Unless someone figured out how to apply quantam entaglement to box sets.

Since frankfromgermany is a member here why dont you PM him and let him know.  Probably just a mistake since the description doesnt mention anything about shrinkwrap and plainly states that it has been opened.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:20 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Since frankfromgermany is a member here why dont you PM him and let him know.  Probably just a mistake since the description doesnt mention anything about shrinkwrap and plainly states that it has been opened.

Will do.

"SW" (unless it means something else in the context of this particular item that I don't know about) denotes shrink to me.  Is there an acroynm associated with the item / publisher / etc  that I'm missing?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 pm 

"Swords & Wizardy" comes to mind, though I don't know in this case.. the RAR box references both Sword & Sorcery and WW (White Wolf)... some combo of SS & WW...?   Probably just a simple typo.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 63 of 87123 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 858687