Silliest non-TSR auction price
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 62 of 87123 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 858687
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:06 am 

Let's see what happens now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Palace-Vampire-Quee ... 353wt_1087

Good luck. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:39 am 

what... no auction??

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:11 am 

Doug confirms we have no more PoTVQ reprints.  There is one left that will go into the raffle this year, so buy those tickets!  We are working on having (LETS KEEP IT SECRET EH) for this year, so get them when you can.....!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 am 

Well I was trying to be low key about this one in my first post... but this response just hits me in a bad way.

TheHistorian wrote:I actually happen to know the seller.  I think the intent was just keyword matching - "shrink" is better than "plastic sleeve".

You think the intent was to do what....  :?
"... keyword matching - "shrink" is better than "plastic sleeve"...."

... WHAT THE HECK!
Umnnn
Keyword matching my azz...
Seller CLEARLY stated SHRINK in the TITLE and in the description BOTH!
Can there really be any doubt that that word was used to increase the seller's bottom line...?

And I do not believe it was an accidental use of that word either…
Seller has a 453 feedback score.
I put forward that the seller definitely knows the difference in a Shrink Wrapped item and one that is in a Plastic Sleeve.

I can attest that NONE of the PotVQ Reprints were EVER SWed by the folks at NTRPGCON.
So it isn't like the seller somehow got a copy that was SWed from the original sellers (Mike and Doug) and other folks did not.

From what you wrote, looks like the seller KNEW he was lying and did so on purpose to promote more bidding thus a higher price for the item.

I am not even close to being the brightest bulb in the package, but I know what the difference is between keyword matching and outright fraud.
This was both deliberate and detestable IMO and the seller intended to defraud the bidders!

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:54 am 

smarmy1 wrote:Let's see what happens now...

** expired/removed eBay auction **

As opposed to the first one listed above; this listing is totaly honest, detailed and truthful.

I hope it gets the price asked for.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
As opposed to the first one listed above; this listing is totaly honest, detailed and truthful.
I hope it gets the price asked for.

8O  That didnt take long.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:03 am 

Wow who ever would have thought 8O   I bought one of each of NTRPG con's mini mods to help support Doug and Mike and because they just looked cool; I never thought it would approach that kind of value.  I imagine they may have to limit the amount purchased at the next show (I hope) so all who attend can get one.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:16 am 

Sold already?

I thought the first one was a mistake by a couple of folks not in the "know" or something, but then I looked at the bidder history and saw that prvteye had bid it up to $120.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:25 am 

I was just thinking hmmm.  Considering the low print run (100 copies?) this may actually be one of the rarest PotVQ printings, hell one of the rarest OD&D items there is!!

(time to grab the copy on my reading stack and protect it)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:29 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Wow who ever would have thought 8O   I bought one of each of NTRPG con's mini mods to help support Doug and Mike and because they just looked cool; I never thought it would approach that kind of value.  I imagine they may have to limit the amount purchased at the next show (I hope) so all who attend can get one.

There was a limit last year...
The limit was ONE copy of each module per registered attendee.
And (unless you attended the Convention in person) you could NOT get a copy of any of them until after the convention was over.
At that point it was a free for all for left over copies.

I just posted a new thread on this board, showing a complete list with scans of the TEN (10) Digest Sized Modules that were offered at the 2010 Convention.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:15 pm 

Wow, sold again!

So, now we will see a lot of them pop up on ebay... I have to thanks Le rahib to take one copy for me :)

120 to $150, I am still in shock...

COnsidering the high sale price, and how easy it is to create fake copy, I am afraid that a LOT of fakes will appear in few days....

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:25 pm 

Amazing!  8O I never imagined we would see another copy of the PoTVQ NTRPG Con reprint sell for so much so soon, but surely it won't happen again...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:38 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:

Wow, sold again!

So, now we will see a lot of them pop up on ebay... I have to thanks Le rahib to take one copy for me :)

120 to $150, I am still in shock...

COnsidering the high sale price, and how easy it is to create fake copy, I am afraid that a LOT of fakes will appear in few days....

The NTRPG Con copies have pages that are watermarked with the NTRPG Con logo, if someone is selling one and you want to make sure it is authentic.  But any douchebag can copy anything, although if you were going to put the time and effort into forgery just copy one of the later prints of the real thing and make $500 instead of $150. Or just copy a Lost Tamoachaon if you want, those would be as easy.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:52 pm 

I guess that it is more complicated to make fakes of old modules, which have old paper, old ink, old 'touch". This reprint seems to be easier. But, as I am not in printing industry, it is just a guess, perhaps I am absolutely wrong.

However, I am pretty sure that some fakes exist for these old modules (perhaps not the real rare but the uncommon. Don't you think?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:54 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Well I was trying to be low key about this one in my first post... but this response just hits me in a bad way.

You think the intent was to do what....  :?
"... keyword matching - "shrink" is better than "plastic sleeve"...."

... WHAT THE HECK!
Umnnn
Keyword matching my azz...
Seller CLEARLY stated SHRINK in the TITLE and in the description BOTH!
Can there really be any doubt that that word was used to increase the seller's bottom line...?

And I do not believe it was an accidental use of that word either…
Seller has a 453 feedback score.
I put forward that the seller definitely knows the difference in a Shrink Wrapped item and one that is in a Plastic Sleeve.

I can attest that NONE of the PotVQ Reprints were EVER SWed by the folks at NTRPGCON.
So it isn't like the seller somehow got a copy that was SWed from the original sellers (Mike and Doug) and other folks did not.

From what you wrote, looks like the seller KNEW he was lying and did so on purpose to promote more bidding thus a higher price for the item.

I am not even close to being the brightest bulb in the package, but I know what the difference is between keyword matching and outright fraud.
This was both deliberate and detestable IMO and the seller intended to defraud the bidders!

I don't quite know what to say to this.

What I was trying to express is that I think the use of the word shrink, when there was a clear picture showing that it wasn't actually shrinkwrap, was most likely aimed at interesting people who search for such things, which I'll guess a larger crowd than those who search for "plastic sleeve".

Should he have been more careful with his wording?  Possibly.  Is it as bad as you make it out to be?  I don't think so.

If you want to be upset by it, that's okay with me too.  I know the seller, but I have not discussed (and likely won't) this particular auction with him.  He's an acquaintance, and I just wanted to say that I didn't think this was an evil transaction, but I don't really care that much one way or the other.

*shrug*  If the buyer has an issue, then they'll handle it through normal ebay channels, I guess.  I don't think it has much effect on either of us.

Afterthought: Given that smarmy was able to sell one, without advertising the word shrink, in about five seconds for only a little less, I'm not sure how much price inflation was actually created in the first place.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:01 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:Amazing!  8O I never imagined we would see another copy of the PoTVQ NTRPG Con reprint sell for so much so soon, but surely it won't happen again...

LOL famous last words :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Afterthought: Given that smarmy was able to sell one, without advertising the word shrink, in about five seconds for only a little less, I'm not sure how much price inflation was actually created in the first place.

Sorry for the confusion. That was another seller from these boards, Zenopus, who sold the second PoTVQ reprint.  My copy will remain with me for many years to come, shrink or no shrink. :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:07 am 

anyway, this is better -- and the price scored is considered a "bargain," mind you (sometimes fetches more than 300 euros):

esse quam videri.

WWW ICQ  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 62 of 87123 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 858687