Silliest non-TSR auction price
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 61 of 87123 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 858687
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:39 am 

I've been told dozens and dozens of times over the years that the reason the buyer bought my item was because I was the ONLY one selling that item that bothered to describe the contents or write a blurb about it.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:55 am 

Not really a silly price but this listing amused me:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

From the description:

"A must for your favourite characters, be they Magicians, Clerics, or Mentalists!"

I am personally of the opinion that if you're considering buying this book, you're already a mentalist.  I only own it myself because of a mix-up with a book club I used to belong to, and for the past ten years it's been carted around from all the houses I've ever lived in with the rest of my roleplay books.  Well I'm getting rid of those now, and I'll be buggered sideways if I'm not getting rid of this one too.

Some people may consider it an unwise business move to cast aspersions on the sanity of one's potential customers, but the chances are you either already want this book or you don't.  No-one impulse-buys Rolemaster rulebooks.  If you want it, you'll buy it.

with the exception of a large diagonal folded crease along the back cover, the book is in very good condition, mostly because it's never been used, apart from as something to lean on, or occasionally flipped through just so I could tut and roll my eyes at the impenetrable wall of percentile charts.

The cover artwork features what is supposed to be a badass wizard wailing on some sort of minotaur-type-creature, but actually looks like a Ziggy Stardust acid flashback drawn by someone who doesn't do faces very well.  To be fair to them, I can't even begin to imagine what the faces in a Ziggy Stardust acid flashback look like.

So please, if you want this book, buy it, love it, and have as much sick, perverted, 2d10 fun you can get out of it.  Bidding starts at the princely sum of one penny, and if it goes beyond that I may very well have some sort of shock-related embolism.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:15 pm 

Badmike wrote:I've been told dozens and dozens of times over the years that the reason the buyer bought my item was because I was the ONLY one selling that item that bothered to describe the contents or write a blurb about it.

Mike B.

I describe my items better than most as well, and I believe it makes a difference.  It takes a little work, but it's worth it.  I also enter the descriptions of all my items on a WORD document so that if I sell that item again, I can just cut and paste.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:40 pm 

Badmike wrote:I've been told dozens and dozens of times over the years that the reason the buyer bought my item was because I was the ONLY one selling that item that bothered to describe the contents or write a blurb about it.

Mike B.

Depends entirely on what you are selling. There are items that have a certain amount of confusion about them, the two Lankhmar city items for example, but for other items, such as DL11, anyone wanting to put out the ridiculous amount it goes for is interested in condition and completeness rather an explanation of its rarity. Or module B10 Nights Dark Terror, or X10 Red Arrow Black Shield, I've never needed a blurb or speel to sell these.

The same holds true for most commonplace but well known items such as most of the classic adventures. What I have found is that the lowest price in the best condition sell the quickest rather than higher priced items with a large blurb about the module.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:28 pm 

I was told by one Acaeum member that my descriptions reminded him of a Coroner's report.   8O  :D

So I go into detail a little....

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:08 pm 

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:18 am 

At the opposite end of silly price, someone got a good deal!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIZO-PATHFINDER- ... 27b4f70fae

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:24 pm 

astenon wrote:At the opposite end of silly price, someone got a good deal!

Check the seller's feedback and weigh the risk . . .

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:34 am 

8O

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:42 pm 

the best part is that for your 895 pounds, some of the pages have detached from the spine.....

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:22 pm 

A wee bit optomistic.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:24 pm 

WTF??????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0501362480

$157.5 for the PotVQ reprint??????!!!!

8O

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:13 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:WTF??????

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

8O

Wonder who the seller is...
The seller states it is new in SW.

Dungeons & Dragons adventure Dungeon Masters Kit Number 1 Palace of the Vampire Queen by Wee Warriors, new in shrink.  In 2010, the original author allowed North Texax RPG Con to reprint 100 of these, this is one of them.  It is new and unopened.  It is digest-sized so it can fit in your OD&D White Box.  If you've been unable to get your hands on the original copies from the '70s that go for hundreds of dollars on eBay, then here's an alternative.

The NTRPG CON re-prints (Digest Size) were never SWed.

I purchased two copies of that one myself and have them right here.

They were sold in plastic sleeves... without cardboard backing.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:26 pm 

I guess that he considered the plastic bag as a shrink. My copy isn't SWed as well.
Anyway, the final price is insane.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:11 pm 

I actually happen to know the seller.  I think the intent was just keyword matching - "shrink" is better than "plastic sleeve".

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:33 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:WTF??????

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

8O

Holy crap!!!  :lol:  8O  8)   Never would have thought something like that would happen with one of the reprints.  So what will happen with the next person that tries to sell one of these?  Same outcome or bust?

As for who the seller is, I believe he is a regular over on Dragonsfoot.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:29 pm 

I know I'm tempted to throw one up.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:58 pm 

Mars wrote:I know I'm tempted to throw one up.

Holy shit, Doug and I still have a bunch of these left I believe.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 61 of 87123 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 858687