Weird Minis Question
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:11 pm 

I have the Thunderbolt Mountain Finieous Fingers Miniatures (#3, signed by JD Webster, appears to be unopened). I got it out today to look at it and noticed a few green spots on the minis - a little like the green that comes out when copper is tarnishing.

Never saw this before! These minis look like they have gold plating on them - no idea what the actual metal is. I hate to open the box up but I'd rather fix the problem then let them all tarnish, if that's what's happening.

Anyone dealt with this before? What to do about it?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:35 pm 

It sound like oxidation of the paint/plating or the base metal beneath. If it's just the odd spot here and there with no uniformity to it, it's probably occurring where the plating is thinnest and the base metal is oxidising. If it's uniform over the figure, and collecting in corners in the detail, it's probably the plating itself thats oxidising.

In most cases, it could be opened and brushed off with a dry toothbrush.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:37 pm 

Definitely very small odd spots, so that suggests the base metal. I can really just take that off with a toothbrush? Any tips for not damaging the figs?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:43 pm 

Calithena wrote:Any tips for not damaging the figs?

If you'r gentle and stick to the areas affected you should be okay. But I'd wait until we get another response or two from the board. I'm certainly not an expert in lead figures, and I don't think the fineous figs made it to the UK.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:56 pm 

These aren't lead (package says 'contains no lead'). Unfortunately, I have no idea what they are!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:51 pm 

Calithena wrote:These aren't lead (package says 'contains no lead'). Unfortunately, I have no idea what they are!

I use the word 'lead' loosely. I mean pewter, or whatever they used in the late 80s to replave the lead in 'lead figures'. :D
Lead oxide is green mind you?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:44 pm 

If it was lead I would tell you it is lead rot and to take it out of the package, wash it and leave it in a well ventolated shelf or something.  Being it is green spots I wouild contact thunderbolt mountain:

http://www.thunderboltmountain.com/

And ask Tom Meier himself.  Every compnay uses a different non-lead material for casting and since Tom is the father of fantasy miniatures, he would know.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!