Thieves Guild
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:32 pm 

Hey Allan, Do you have an image of those stickers? I would love to see them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:11 am 

I do, Adam, but it's back in KS on the first print TG with binder that was one of my first eBay purchases.

I'll see what I can do to scan it after I move back.  You'll probably have to remind me though.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:57 am 

Will do. I will try to keep an eye on when the move happens. Am I dreaming or is your collection parsed out in like 10 different places across America?  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:31 am 

I don't know whether I love or hate the loose leafe Thieves Guild publications.  They are perfect for photocopying and preserving your original...but they seem really easy to accidentally damage.

Maybe I need to collect both versions?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:38 am 

Hey:

I still wanna talk about Thieves Guild....

Anybody actually play the system when it was new?

Anybody have a complete collection?

Is there a renegade campaign still going on somewhere?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Humor me!

Mark

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:44 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Hey:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Humor me!

Mark

Never played it, well the setting since I have taken some ideas from the books. (though I could imagine combining thie material with Thieves' World and Lanhkmar...hum..)
Yes in part. I have everything put out for the line, just not every printing (3-hole punched/bound modules).
And unsure...

The material is unique I feel, Thieves' World and Lankhmar focus more on the city, while Thieves Guild is more inclusive of the overall thief. Highwaymen, Tomb Raiders, Politicians..I meant hustlers, no conartists..NM..(those that would find the sceneio in The Duke's Dress Ball as their style of play) and of course Burglary. If you do play with this material, you may want to get The Canting Crew by Gary Gygax (released by Troll Lords) for all the thieves cant and historical/fantasy style material it has.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:15 am 

Maybe I need to collect both versions?

This has always been my philosophy. If it is distinctively different it is gonna go in the collection. I have only passively collected this line over the years. i have not tried to get them since I know I could easily do so at will.

I do not play D&D so I couldn't answer that. But I do enjoy the material from what I see in the collection.

You should have mail soon!!

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:11 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Hey:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Humor me!

Mark

I actually playtested the first edition way back at a Michicon (don't remember the year) when it was still held at Oakland Univeristy. I loved it and bought the original 1st edition. My group played it several times and I even used the first couple modules. It was a fun game with good scenarios.

I sold off all my stuff around four years ago and have kicked myself for it ever since. I just picked up a 1st print of the rules and I am on the passive lookout for the rest of the run.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:08 am 

I think it was probably  you who beat me out on the 1st edition of the rules the other day.   :(

I was bidding foolishly...somehow thinking I was alone in my own little corner of EBay.

I just won the auction for Gamelords' The Comleate Tavern, so that is cool.

I could not bid on that AND the Monty Haul dungeon, so that will have to wait for next time.

I haven't got a complete editon of the Thieves Guild rules, so I cannot put together a game using that system.  I lack any version of Thieves Guild #1.

I basically figure that they were intending all the time for DM's to take their ideas and apply them to AD&D.

One very cool individual also just gave me a copy of Prince of Thieves as a gift.  Very nice and very very classy.  Thank you again.

Mark      8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:15 am 

Does anybody know about connections between Thieves World (Robert Asprin (sp) and the shared world books...and Chaosium and all that) and Thieves Guild?

In my mental chronology, Thieves Guild would have preceeded Thieves World.

The city in Thieves Guild is "Haven."

The city in Thieves World is "Sanctuary."

This always struck me as more than a coincidence.  The writer's notes to the early Theives Guild books metion meeting other writers at conventions...where Thieves Guild might logically have been encountered...but does not credit the Gamelords products in any way.

Anyone know any more details?

Mark :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:40 am 

Make that Thieves World....not mentioning Thieves Guild.

And...I just got an early edition of the City of Haven!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:03 am 

Oh hey, I meant to mention something about those two different items. I am pretty sure they are not connected outside of flavour. Since much of stuff licensed for Asprin's work is clearly stated as such.

I am not 100% but I think they are wholly independent yet connected by flavor.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:17 am 

Hey:

I already posted this over on the Non-TSR Fun Finds subject, but I just had to crow about it again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

This is a minty minty mighty mint copy of The Compleat Taver, by Gamelords.

I got it for just under $10.

It is signed by co-author Kerry Lloyd.

HOOT!  HOOOOOOOOOT!    8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  :twisted:

Oh, and I also got a totally mint first edition of The Free City of Haven in the mail the same day.  HOOOOT!

Mark

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:29 am 

Adam Shultz wrote:Will do. I will try to keep an eye on when the move happens. Am I dreaming or is your collection parsed out in like 10 different places across America? :D

Well, Adam, given that I've lived in CA (where Tadashi has my stuff to sell), KS (where the bulk of my books and collection reside, along with my family, and, at long last, me), and NJ (where many of my miniatures are, along with my brothers whom I first gamed with, along with, somewhere in the wilds of that state, a copy of Treasure of the Dragon Queen), yes, your impression is rather on the mark :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:33 am 

Thieves Guild and Thieves World are definitely separate properties and game systems.  TG was its own beast, and was published by Gamelords prior to Chaosium's original TW box set.  Apparently there may have been talk of litigation waay back in the day, according to Tadashi, but I don't think anything ever really came of it.

If you're a TW and d20 fan, Green Ronin re-released some Thieves World books to update the setting to 3.x D&D and to update it to the new books that Lynn Abbey began to publish a few years ago.  I haven't picked them up yet, but will probably get around to it, one day, since I like the setting lot (and you can never have too many good thiefly-oriented tomes to add to your version of Greyhawk City, of course).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:34 am 

grodog wrote:Thieves Guild and Thieves World are definitely separate properties and game systems. TG was its own beast, and was published by Gamelords prior to Chaosium's original TW box set. Apparently there may have been talk of litigation waay back in the day, according to Tadashi, but I don't think anything ever really came of it.

If you're a TW and d20 fan, Green Ronin re-released some Thieves World books to update the setting to 3.x D&D and to update it to the new books that Lynn Abbey began to publish a few years ago. I haven't picked them up yet, but will probably get around to it, one day, since I like the setting lot (and you can never have too many good thiefly-oriented tomes to add to your version of Greyhawk City, of course).

I think that "Haven" and "Sanctuary" are interestingly connected names.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:46 am 

I'll second that ;)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:47 pm 

Kerry Lloyd had a campaign he ran at The Little Soldier Shop, either in Wheaton, Maryland, or it may have started when the store moved out to Rockville, Md.  (Most of the guys involved in Little Soldier Games and later Phoenix Games, played at the store.)  Kerry continued his game when The Little Soldier Shop closed and some of the principals started Chimerae Books in Rockville.  Kerry's campaign started with about 8 guys.  I played when he initially set it up and then went to college out of state.  When I came back, he had about 25-30 players and three refs.  There were so many people each player only got a few actions in an afternoon.  I went back to college and did not play with him any more.  I suspect a lot of his ideas for Thieve's Guild came from that campaign.  I understand he passed away quite a few years back.  Did Tadashi know him or did he purchase the rights from his estate?

PreviousNext