Thieves Guild
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:19 pm 

Are the binder versions the older prints? Or, are the magazine versions?

Sorry, just got some of them a while ago and wanted to know which was what.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:42 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
I have seen a picture of a red binder and I have heard of a brown binder.

Over on Tome of Treasures, there was a discussion between two people with red binders...both from the same binder company...which might indicate that at least some of the binder/sticker sets came...um...pre-stuck.

Mine was a dark blue three ring binder. I picked it up from a collection so I can'ts ay if it was sold as a binder or just the sticker.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:22 pm 

serleran wrote:Are the binder versions the older prints? Or, are the magazine versions?

Sorry, just got some of them a while ago and wanted to know which was what.

Binder versions are the early prints, which only exist for the first 5, 6-10 are only the latter.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:04 pm 

Greeting all, happened to be searching my father's name and came across this thread.  Thougt I'd register and respond in an uber-post

Cameron wrote:Hey there. Anyone have a copy of TG1 (either edition, any condition... including a scan) they'd be willing to part with?

I'm actually working on a non-D20 project and am interested in procuring the Thieves' World license for a possible reboot (with some of the original writers). The original book is the only one I can't get my hands on. I have emailed Tadashi, but haven't gotten a response yet.

Assuming you meant the Thieve's  Guild, :-), I'd love to see that.  Gamelords and Thieve's Guild was a big part of my father's life and it broke his heart to see it go under.  I have many cool memories involving Gamelords and it's people.  My father, Rich Meyer, Michael Watkins, Janet Troutvetter, Al Hipkins and more.

grodog wrote:
Yes, that would be great.  I've been in touch with him in the past, as has Tadashi, but the last email address I had went bad.

Here I am, try Conan dot Lloyd at me dot com

FormCritic wrote:
There would probably be fewer strange looks today...with Conan O'Brien as a well-known name.

Funny how many people can properly pronouce O'Brien's first name ("COH-nun") and yet they insist that Howard's character is "coh-NAN."

Kids today have all sorts of bizzare names (as we have discussed elsewhere).

My brother-in-law seriously wanted to name his first son Fahfrd (as in...."and the Grey Mouser").

Mark   8)

I'm betting it got a somewhat chilly reception back then too.  Seeing as how my father made the decision to name me Conan because he was reading one of Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian stories, (Tower of the Elephant if you're interested), I'm just glad he wasn't reading about Norse Mythology.  I'm sure it would have been worse if I'd been named Thor or Loki.

My father always asserted that Robert E. Howard's pronunciation was "COH-nin" and that's how I've pronounced it my whole life.  Sure hope I got it right!

~Cheers,

Conan D. Lloyd
"Yes, that is my real name"

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:19 pm 

ConanLloyd wrote:Greeting all, happened to be searching my father's name and came across this thread.  Thougt I'd register and respond in an uber-post

I'm betting it got a somewhat chilly reception back then too.  Seeing as how my father made the decision to name me Conan because he was reading one of Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian stories, (Tower of the Elephant if you're interested), I'm just glad he wasn't reading about Norse Mythology.  I'm sure it would have been worse if I'd been named Thor or Loki.

My father always asserted that Robert E. Howard's pronunciation was "COH-nin" and that's how I've pronounced it my whole life.  Sure hope I got it right!

That's the way I've always said it myself.

Welcome to the boards. Not many people around tonight for some reason, but I'm sure you will get several who'd like to talk with you about Gamelords. a few of us are trying to preserve the history of gaming and I think people are just realizing how much of it is slipping away.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:27 pm 

I have to admit to a sense of pride when I hear of Thieve's Guild refered to as a piece of gaming history.

I look forward to any help I can provide.  The irony of finding this thread is the 20th anniversary of my father's death was this past Wednesday and I was waxing nostalgic.

~Cheers,

Conan D. Lloyd

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:10 pm 

ConanLloyd wrote:I have to admit to a sense of pride when I hear of Thieve's Guild refered to as a piece of gaming history.

I look forward to any help I can provide.  The irony of finding this thread is the 20th anniversary of my father's death was this past Wednesday and I was waxing nostalgic.

This is a good place to stop by. We are all dealing with a lot of nostalgia here.

Gaming has inspired a lot of people and brought excitement and adventure in a positive way to how many generations now, two going on three?

Any history, any stories about that time you'd like to share would be welcome.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:17 pm 

Glad to see you found your way here Conan.  Thieves Guild/Haven is some of the better material produced for its time and still can hold up to what is released today I feel.  Anything you want to share in terms of memories will be appreciated.  I'm interested in knowing sort of what the former employees of Gamelords are doing nowadays if you know.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:41 pm 

I haven't heard from Michael Watkins or Al Hipkins in many years, but I did catch up to Janet Troutvetter a few years back.  She's a graphic artist and was with a firm in Silverspring, MD

Walter Hunt is an author, having published his Dark Wing series.  It's a really good Sci-Fi read.  He and Rich Meyer both live in Mass.

Gamelords was run our of our basement in Gaitherburg, MD  I rememberr watching them do manual paste up for the modules.  In fact I think I still have original paste ups in my mother's basement up in Michigan.

I think it was the first printing of Thieve's Guild II that had us up pulling an all-nighter hand collating the  issues.  Many hours walking around a table at Balmar printing.  I remember thinking it was cool because I got the next day off of school.

As a professional geek now, I do get a kick out of the fact that the work was done on a couple of TRS-80s

~Cheers,

Conan D. Lloyd

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:58 pm 

ConanLloyd wrote:I haven't heard from Michael Watkins or Al Hipkins in many years, but I did catch up to Janet Troutvetter a few years back.  She's a graphic artist and was with a firm in Silverspring, MD

Walter Hunt is an author, having published his Dark Wing series.  It's a really good Sci-Fi read.  He and Rich Meyer both live in Mass.

Gamelords was run our of our basement in Gaitherburg, MD  I rememberr watching them do manual paste up for the modules.  In fact I think I still have original paste ups in my mother's basement up in Michigan.

I think it was the first printing of Thieve's Guild II that had us up pulling an all-nighter hand collating the  issues.  Many hours walking around a table at Balmar printing.  I remember thinking it was cool because I got the next day off of school.

As a professional geek now, I do get a kick out of the fact that the work was done on a couple of TRS-80s

With the cassette tape drive?

We've had a big discussion about the Thieves Guild notebooks. Do you remember if you just sold the Thieves Guild stickers to put on the notebooks or if you guys put them on and sold them with the notebooks? (If you know what i am refering to).

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:14 am 

Our "trash-80s" had disk drives as I recall.

Sorry, I can't remember how the stickers were done.  It was a long time ago and I was but a wee lad.  I know we did the binders for people at conventions, but I don't remember if we sent them out that way.

~Cheers,

Conan D. Lloyd

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:31 am 

ConanLloyd wrote:Our "trash-80s" had disk drives as I recall.

Sorry, I can't remember how the stickers were done.  It was a long time ago and I was but a wee lad.  I know we did the binders for people at conventions, but I don't remember if we sent them out that way.

Cool. That's more than we've been able to gather so far. I had one of the binders and the person I picked it up from said he got it that way no one here remembered definitely whether they were sold that way or not.

Thanks!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:49 pm 

Email sent! :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:20 am 

Anyone have any idea on the possible current market value for the loose leaf Thieves Guild supplements and the stickers?

I have a set of 1 through 5 and Prince of Thieves mint in ziplocks, and a minty Thieves Guild folder sticker. Don't know whether to sell seperately of as a job lot.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:47 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Anyone have any idea on the possible current market value for the loose leaf Thieves Guild supplements and the stickers?

I have a set of 1 through 5 and Prince of Thieves mint in ziplocks, and a minty Thieves Guild folder sticker. Don't know whether to sell seperately of as a job lot.

i bought suppl.1-5 (1st print) in minty mintous conditions in july for about 10 bucks each (they were sold separately)...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:50 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Anyone have any idea on the possible current market value for the loose leaf Thieves Guild supplements and the stickers?

not good time to sell these imo. prices below value of the material recently
as a bundle the stickers might save that a bit + condition should help but would still be lucky with more than high bin around $90 together. try $99.99 or best offer??

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:49 pm 

Thanks. Maybe I'll hold off then. Is the special hard to find, or does it crop up quite often? I'd be tempted to list the sticker on it's own, but if the TG market is unstable, maybe not. It's a shame. I think the TG stuff is quite good, quality wise.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:05 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Is the special hard to find, or does it crop up quite often?

uncommon + sold for $1 at gencon when was $20-25 quite easy in past. was surprise to see that

mbassoc2003 wrote:I'd be tempted to list the sticker on it's own, but if the TG market is unstable, maybe not. It's a shame. I think the TG stuff is quite good, quality wise.

would say very good + breath of fresh air personally
selling sticker by itself would remove completists item but unlikely to pay >$10-15 for. is a good draw if bundled

PreviousNext