Wee Warriors product list
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:33 pm 

dbartman wrote:The 2nd print is really nothing like the first.  I have not been able to confirm what all was included with the 2nd print, though I am reasonably confident that mine is compete.  The cover is a different color.  Here's the link to info on both:

The Character Archaic Print Sequence

Thanks Doug, I had forgotten about that thread.  I guess I should not be surprised that it seems like everyones copy seems to differ in 1 way or another being that it seems to be the running theme with Wee Warriors products. :?    I guess that I should also add that Dungeon Masters Kit  description has the last senacne blacked out as well.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:45 pm 

About "Dragonlord"

Deadlord39 wrote:Mike Kuo and I picked up our copies a few years back, I think from Titan Games. IIRC, they were $40.
I doubt you will see one up anytime soon. They're insanely rare, and I imagine most copies were disassembled to be played with.

I saw this post long before I registered here, and I think its good news for some and not for others that there was never a second printing - my memory is pretty unreliable after 30 years, but the first printing was probably as few as 100 copies.  Those two copies could be the only survivors, for all I know.

Bradley W. Schenck
(the artist formerly known as Morno - isn't there a symbol for that?)
Webomator Blog

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 pm 

Well, I've never seen any others, or even heard of them. It's actually a neat little game. You have to take it apart to use it, so intact ones are surely insanely rare.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:53 pm 

Sorry to jump in here so late, but I just saw the thread...

As I recall, Dragonlord had an ad in the back which listed products not otherwise mentioned here - I believe one was a set of Lord of the Rings character cards.  It is possible this was a Cosmic Frog item as opposed to Wee Warriors (Dragonlord was from both WW and Cosmic Frog, if I am remembering what it said correctly - I should have scanned the bloody thing for reference purposes).  I know nothing about the Cosmic Frog company other than that it was mentioned in Dragonlord.

I should probably note here that since I sold my copy to Mike Kuo (Deadlord39 may have gotten his copy from Titan, but Mike didn't), this still just makes two known copies.  The one I had was not disassembled because it had originally been the Judges' Guild file copy.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:13 pm 

tool wrote:Sorry to jump in here so late, but I just saw the thread...

As I recall, Dragonlord had an ad in the back which listed products not otherwise mentioned here - I believe one was a set of Lord of the Rings character cards.  It is possible this was a Cosmic Frog item as opposed to Wee Warriors (Dragonlord was from both WW and Cosmic Frog, if I am remembering what it said correctly - I should have scanned the bloody thing for reference purposes).  I know nothing about the Cosmic Frog company other than that it was mentioned in Dragonlord.

I should probably note here that since I sold my copy to Mike Kuo (Deadlord39 may have gotten his copy from Titan, but Mike didn't), this still just makes two known copies.  The one I had was not disassembled because it had originally been the Judges' Guild file copy.

Who did you get that one from, Tool?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:30 pm 

No idea, I'm afraid - I bought it on eBay, and I don't have the e-mails from the transaction at this late date (I bought it in October 2001).

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:38 pm 

tool wrote:The one I had was not disassembled because it had originally been the Judges' Guild file copy.

I'm curious about this part: Judge's Guild file copy? Can you elaborate.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:51 pm 

A reasonable assumption based on the stamp on the front (as seen in the scan below - my apologies for the poor quality, I was trying to keep the file size small).  Game companies often got sent or purchased copies of each others' products for various reasons - TSR would have gotten a lot of games sent to it for review in Dragon, for example.  Judges Guild had a magazine and may have gotten review copies as well, or they may have just bought the game.  Since they clearly didn't have it to play, I have to assume they just kept it on file as reference material.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:01 pm 

IIRC, Mike told me he had just bought a Drag from Titan, and said they still had one, so I bought it. If so, he actually had 2. But it's probable that I just got it confused.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:28 pm 

Formerly Known As Morno wrote:About "Dragonlord"

I saw this post long before I registered here, and I think its good news for some and not for others that there was never a second printing - my memory is pretty unreliable after 30 years, but the first printing was probably as few as 100 copies.  Those two copies could be the only survivors, for all I know.

Sigh. I bought my copy back in '77 or so in Princeton, N.J. when I was 10.  Lost it in a move immediately thereafter.

Ah well - we all have to have our Holy Grail of collecting and this is certainly mine ;P  I'll just have to keep checking ebay.

Anyone of you two who own a copy mind putting some scans up on BGG for me to turn green over?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:58 pm 

tdewey10 wrote:

Sigh. I bought my copy back in '77 or so in Princeton, N.J. when I was 10.  Lost it in a move immediately thereafter.

Ah well - we all have to have our Holy Grail of collecting and this is certainly mine ;P  I'll just have to keep checking ebay.

Anyone of you two who own a copy mind putting some scans up on BGG for me to turn green over?

Is this the same Dragonlord later released by FGU, or a separate game entirely?

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:57 am 

Different game entirely.  Had a large square-grid map made of what I consider a 2 1/2D view of an area -- giving various elevations (hard to describe -- someone will have to scan it and show it).  Basic game was one on one combat between two guys on dragonback.  I can't remember if it allowed for more than 2 players (anyone? anyone? Bueler?).

Was actually quite nifty for the time -- though the 2 1/2D map left something to be desired when figuring out where your guys were (nice artwork though by Morno).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:13 pm 

tool wrote:Sorry to jump in here so late, but I just saw the thread...

As I recall, Dragonlord had an ad in the back which listed products not otherwise mentioned here - I believe one was a set of Lord of the Rings character cards.

Wow, I'm glad I wandered through and saw this.  The "Middle Earth Cards" were greeting cards with my illustrations for The Lord of the Rings - there were two sets, each with three cards each of two different illustrations.  They were something I had printed myself, before, during and after the WW days.

My father sent me some of those after he moved earlier this year (it's only when we move that we seem to find these things) and he also included one copy of a portfolio I published right after I left WW.  This was called "The Dice of Fate", and had a series of 8 1/2 x 11" prints of my WW covers, my Alarums & Excursions covers (more than I remembered, including one that wasn't used) and some original art that I don't think ever showed up anyplace else.  I keep meaning to scan some of those to post here, but obviously I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Bradley W. Schenck
Webomator Blog

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:16 pm 

tool wrote:I know nothing about the Cosmic Frog company other than that it was mentioned in Dragonlord.

Oh, and Cosmic Frog was just me.  "Dragonlord" was the one game WW did that was designed by me, as well as having my illustrations/cover.

Bradley W. Schenck
Webomator Blog

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:39 am 

Hiya, Brad!
Good to see you back around here, again. :)

Formerly Known As Morno wrote:The "Middle Earth Cards" were greeting cards with my illustrations for The Lord of the Rings - there were two sets, each with three cards each of two different illustrations.  They were something I had printed myself, before, during and after the WW days.

Interesting... Any scans, available (even if slightly OT)?
Your style would work wonders on that theme, I'm sure. ;)

Formerly Known As Morno wrote:...he also included one copy of a portfolio I published right after I left WW.  This was called "The Dice of Fate", and had a series of 8 1/2 x 11" prints of my WW covers, my Alarums & Excursions covers (more than I remembered, including one that wasn't used) and some original art that I don't think ever showed up anyplace else.

Was any of the internal artwork for the Dragon in that portfolio (or was that work-for-hire)?

Formerly Known As Morno wrote:I keep meaning to scan some of those to post here, but obviously I haven't gotten around to it yet.

*g*. Time, time, time...
If I may lead off, then, with a slight non-WW digression? One of my favorites (A&E #11; 5/76 - apologies for the rather rough scan);

(Just a little bit better than the average A&E cover illo. :P Thanks!)

Regards,
David.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:17 pm 

My favorite Morno work is in the Arduin materials.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:42 pm 

faro wrote:If I may lead off, then, with a slight non-WW digression? One of my favorites (A&E #11; 5/76 - apologies for the rather rough scan);

Well I did four quick scans which will probably bog down this page more than enough :).

The first one is that A&E cover that wasn't used; I can't remember why.

These are pretty difficult to scan well because they're on a textured paper; adjusting the brightness and contrast tends to knock out the texture, but also may kill some of the finer line work.

And no, none of the work for The Dragon was in there.  As far as I recall they only bought First North American serial rights, and in fact there are some extenuating circumstances that would give me the rights to most of it anyhow - but for whatever reason, I only included fifteen plates of covers for Wee Warriors, A&E covers, and some otherwise unpublished drawings.

It would be even harder to get good scans of the Middle Earth Cards drawings, since the cards were printed on colored stock.   I only know where one of those originals is, and I know that my favorite one burned up in a house fire.

Bradley W. Schenck
Webomator Blog

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:45 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:My favorite Morno work is in the Arduin materials.

I like some of that pretty well too; Dave was a swell guy and great to work with.

But I think my own favorites from those days are the last Morno work I did, which would have been ink and watercolor pieces that I mostly sold at SF conventions.

Bradley W. Schenck
Webomator Blog

PreviousNext