Mayfair Games
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:29 pm 

I guess it depends on who you ask. I personally like them very much.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:33 pm 

So whats Mayfair's "Dark Tower"?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:53 pm 

nn wrote:So whats Mayfair's "Dark Tower"?

Suggestions, anyone?

Did they have a Dark Tower?  

Of course, Dark Tower was never really Dark Tower....or rather, the legend of Dark Tower is taller than the actual pages of Dark Tower.  Kind of like The Beatles...when you realize that some of their best music was recorded by...Wings.   :x

The thing that made Dark Tower stand out at the time was the sheer act of imagination of a pair of enchanted towers, buried side by side under a mountain and crawling with interesting magical situations and encounters.  You actually start at the top.   :?

Mayfair's Dark Tower.  Did they have one?   :?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:18 am 

I mean, Judges Guild was so playful, and so ambitious in scope.

Consider the first TSR module, B1 In Search of the Unknown, where  the adventurers explore a....dungeon.  Apparently Zeligar and Rogan decided to dig a very deep hole and then leave.  OK, fun, but....   :lol:

Your first encounter with Judges Guild was likely to be a "module" involving the map of a sub-continental region where lust-crazed, towering amazons were likely to chase you to add you to their collection.  (Or so I remember it, anyway.)    :evil:

Consider a game company whose first product turns out to be a huge city map featuring The Park of Obscene Statues.  This appeared in 1976.  Ponder this....   :?  

(Consider also that the most recent re-issue of the City State was printed in 2004!  Talk about your meat and potatoes modules!)

Mayfair didn't set their creations in a specific world.  They are more the dessert section of the RPG buffet....kind of like the angel food cake with chocolate syrup, or the Jello graham cracker crust instant cheesecake....or maybe the cinnamon rolls.  Hmmmmm.   :?

You weren't supposed to chow down on Mayfair modules...they weren't slices of roast beef, or mashed potatoes with brown gravy mixed on your plate with sweet and sour meatballs.   You were supposed to add them to your tray like extra glasses of Mountain Dew or a huge bowl of soft-serve vanilla icecream.    :o

That's what made the Mayfair boxed set of City State of the Invincible Overlord (complete with a one-sheet forward from Gary Gygax...which is never included when you buy it on Ebay :evil: ) such a nasty RPG surprise.  You put it on your plate quite innocently, and end up with a shock...much like the buffet consumer who takes a helping of lasagna only to discover he's accidentally bitten into a forkful of eggplant parmesian.  More like, City State of the Inedible Celery Stalk....or Bank Account of the Unexpected Overdraft.   :x

But I digress...and grow strangely hungry....

In The Days Before Internet, Mayfair was the source for those little adventuring extras and unorthodox monstrosities that are now available as free downloads online.  Once in a while you find a really clever and useable gem, even if you do have to bite into a number of creamy mint fillings to get to the one with nuts.

OK...hot dog time.  

I shall go, but....anyone with a Mayfair Dark Tower suggestion?

Mark   :oops:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:47 am 

No, Mayfair did not have a Dark Tower. Unlike Wizards of the Gross, Mayfair made no published attempts to copy other people's stuff. They published a lot of items like Giants, and Dark Folk, where they would outline races in great detail and provide an adventure including those races. They had several (Denizens of Diannor is a good example) modules dedicated to demons and devils. Their material overall is very well-written, and very easy to adapt to any game system, like AD&D or Arduin. Or even a video-game system like 3Eeeew.
Oh, and they did publish those cheap, crappy, worthless modules like Kobold Hall and Beastmaker Mountain that nobody seems to want.
On second thought, maybe you have a point. No one would want to use their stuff nowadays, it's far too realistic. I don't recall them ever having a +27 flaming holy vorpal dancing sword of allslaying in any of their works.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:56 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:On second thought, maybe you have a point. No one would want to use their stuff nowadays, it's far too realistic. I don't recall them ever having a +27 flaming holy vorpal dancing sword of allslaying in any of their works.

Ah, yes, but where else can you time travel to help and evil god fight a slightly less evil god in the midst of a pack of highly confused Nazis?   :lol:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:34 pm 

Wow, am I ever late to the conversation here ... and I'll top it off by adding a stupid question. Is the current Mayfair Games (the boardgame company famous for the Settlers of Catan series) the same as the Mayfair y'all have been discussing? By which I mean is it the exact same folks (or least their known associates), or was the company name just sold to a third party at some point?

And if it is the same folks, why didn't they jump onto the 3e bandwagon (or did they)? It seems to me that some of their generic fantasy products from yester-year are similar in scope to what was being published during the 3e splatbook phase.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:07 pm 

As far as I know, they are the same company, but I do not know about the personnel.

Interesting...no 3.0 or 3.5 materials.   :?

Mark  8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:58 am 

No, they're a different company. They USED to be a good company, now they suck.
Yes, Xax, they are. Everyone jumped on the d20 bandwagon (even JG)!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:02 am 

Now, why would anyone start a new game company by giving it the name of an old game company?

Sort of like naming my new country:  Prussia...just because I liked it when it was still around and I cannot think of my own name.   :?   Or, naming my new island kingdom "The Soviet Union" because no one was using the name right then and I figured...well...it's got recognition!   :x

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:59 am 

A quick question....

Does Beastmaker Mountain come with pregenerated characters?
If so, are they meant to be in the book?

Is it just the book and the coloured folder? Nothing else (except possibly a flyer)?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:24 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:A quick question....

Does Beastmaker Mountain come with pregenerated characters?
If so, are they meant to be in the book?

Is it just the book and the coloured folder? Nothing else (except possibly a flyer)?

I'll check both mine when I get back home ( bout an 2 hours ), unless someone finds out before I do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:25 pm 

Lordan wrote:I'll check both mine when I get back home ( bout an 2 hours ), unless someone finds out before I do.

You have two?  8O

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:54 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Lordan wrote:I'll check both mine when I get back home ( bout an 2 hours ), unless someone finds out before I do.

You have two?  8O

Actually 2 of each with the exception of the Fez I just bought. I may have another Kobold Hall without the folder though :(

anyways, from what I see in mine they both contain  the module ( 28 pages , center 2 pages are perferated for removal of maps , so 32 total pages ) and the ad paper for ordering ( has description of module on front side ). So unless both mine are missing something then I would say no pregen characters.

On page 6 it mentions guidlines for generating new characters.

hope that helps, just let me know if you need more info. BTW both my copies ( folders )  are the deep red, is the yellow one a second print?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:24 pm 

Thanks. That just put my mind at rest. :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:42 pm 

I'll check mine when I get a chance.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:46 pm 

I tried to check mine and for some reason its MIA. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:11 pm 

Just a 26 page booklet and folder.  As mentioned, there are guidelines for generating characters, but that is it.

PreviousNext