Mayfair Games
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:06 am 

Well I think the Mayfair stuff sucks.

But I cant quite put my finger on why I dont like it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:00 am 

nn wrote:Well I think the Mayfair stuff sucks.

But I cant quite put my finger on why I dont like it.

:D :D :D :D

that sounds like someone saying "i dont like that band cos i dont like their name" :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:53 am 

The modern Mayfair stuff 'sucks' because it has been published badly, is poorly illustrated (even the colour printing of the maps) and is really poorly presented.

That said, the early Mayfair stuff (Blasted Lands etc.) have a good early module/scenario feel about them and the presentation in a coloured foulder was sleek and professional. The early Role Aids books also fill a gap between the time people ware starting to want to stretch 1E AD&D, and the time TSR published 2E AD&D, and there weren't many independants filling that gap.

I think the bastardization of CSIO, and its transportation to a little island in the land of Zog (Verdigris Testament anyone?), really destroyed their credibility. That one product line has tainted all their work.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:45 am 

talking of mayfair games - nice lil lot up - worth it maybe....IF you can cope with dealing with titan-games:

Judges Guild: Role-Playing | eBay

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:29 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:The modern Mayfair stuff 'sucks' because it has been published badly, is poorly illustrated (even the colour printing of the maps) and is really poorly presented.

That said, the early Mayfair stuff (Blasted Lands etc.) have a good early module/scenario feel about them and the presentation in a coloured foulder was sleek and professional. The early Role Aids books also fill a gap between the time people ware starting to want to stretch 1E AD&D, and the time TSR published 2E AD&D, and there weren't many independants filling that gap.

I think the bastardization of CSIO, and its transportation to a little island in the land of Zog (Verdigris Testament anyone?), really destroyed their credibility. That one product line has tainted all their work.

When the Mayfair CSIO arrived at my home, I could not believe my eyes.  How could the great city state end up as whimpy Briarwood, a town full of weenies?  Could the Invincible Overweenie ever survive an attack by the Wraith Overlord?  I think not.

What was Mayfair thinking?  I mean, the CSIO name probably sold them a lot of extra copies  (that's why I bought it, right?), but why did it also have to suck?  CSIO without the world of the city state campaign and the raw feel of Judges Guild?  Why?

I have trouble associating the Mayfair of the Role Aids modules with the Mayfair of the suck-o-thon they published as CSIO.   8)  8)

Not that I have any strong opinions about it or anything.   :lol:

MRS

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:17 am 

I just think Mayfair stuff sucks. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:17 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I just think Mayfair stuff sucks. :D

:D

I'm not a big fan of them either - at least, I don't want to own any.

B Dalton books always had tons of their books and modules. I bought Dragons at some point in the mid-80's because it seemed cool & something TSR didn't have. Then I got a whole bunch of the modules when B Dalton had a big clearance sale. I think I only ever used Swordthrust and one of the Fez modules where you are polymorphed into monsters. Swordthrust is the one where the mountain dungeon is actually inside a giant's head. I remebmer my friend shooting lightning bolts inside his head and hearing a distant roar of pain from below. It also had some weird stuff like a 12th level smelter. :!:

They had some interesting ideas, but I never liked the artwork very much so when I dug these out again in the late 90's I sold all of the modules on Ebay in one lot.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:25 pm 

I'm surprised noone mentioned Beastmaker Mountain. I still have mine from my playing days and it was a fun adventure, well designed and not Monty Haul. We had a lot of fun with it and I am glad it is one of the few items that survived from my playing years. -Tom

Started playing D&D at Great Lakes in '76-'77. Went to Dungeon in Lake Geneva. Got to adventure in original Blackmoor. Saved some rare pieces from then, not in best shape: Palace of Vampire Queen, Beastmaker Mountain. Started collecting recently.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:22 pm 

I only read my Beastie once, I'm not familiar with the contents. Whether or not you like Mayfair products, at least they aren't 3e.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:49 pm 

Yet.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:25 pm 

tntwargo wrote:I'm surprised noone mentioned Beastmaker Mountain. I still have mine from my playing days and it was a fun adventure, well designed and not Monty Haul. We had a lot of fun with it and I am glad it is one of the few items that survived from my playing years. -Tom

I agree Tom:  BM and the accompanying article "Orlow's Inventions Can Liven Up Your Life" in The Dragon #30 were well-worth using.  I've run it a few times, and it's in the same mold as B1, with a bit more mystery attached to it.  It took me awhile to track down a copy of Tower of Magicks, sequel to BM, but (like Calthonwey), I haven't really had time to do more than flip through it yet.

I also liked the concept of Question of Gravity, and Lichlords is fun to run as well.  The other folder modules didn't seem to hold up as well as BM for me (though I don't have BL yet, so I can't speak about that one).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:47 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I only read my Beastie once, I'm not familiar with the contents. Whether or not you like Mayfair products, at least they aren't 3e.

hear hear..... never mind yet ian :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:39 am 

I never really bought modules to run them as written.  In fact, I have never really bought modules at all until I recently went mad and became an active collector.

I generally read modules for ideas I can pick up and use.  I like them as scrap heaps (bit boxes, in miniatures terms) to cut up and use as my whim suits me...or as a quick fix when I need a fast adventure.

Mayfair fits that nicely.

:wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:25 pm 

I just got the Mayfair Dwaves publication.  It is amateurish and the artwork is comical.  I LOVE it!  I will take rough and ready over a slick straight-jacket any day.

Probably why I am a game collector with a growing habit....soon I'll be out behind WalMart trying to score back issues of Different Worlds.

8)  8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:12 am 

Now Mark, if you're looking for DW....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:36 am 

Actually, I am looking for DW.  I emailed Tadashi Ehara a week or so ago, when he was in Paris.  He recently contacted me back and I am curled up in my lair, contemplating how much treasure I can shell out.

Whenever I happen to email a gaming figure he always seems to be travelling...often to foreign countries.

Are these guys just putting me on about being away "on business," or does the life of a minor gaming celebrity involve lots of Parisian gatherings?   :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:39 am 

Anyone have a favorite Role Aids product?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:03 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Actually, I am looking for DW. I emailed Tadashi Ehara a week or so ago, when he was in Paris. He recently contacted me back and I am curled up in my lair, contemplating how much treasure I can shell out.

Whenever I happen to email a gaming figure he always seems to be travelling...often to foreign countries.

Are these guys just putting me on about being away "on business," or does the life of a minor gaming celebrity involve lots of Parisian gatherings?  :?

LOL.  Tadashi does DW on the side, he's travelling for his day job---I wish we were making enough to fly him off to printers in Asia on a regular basis ;)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

PreviousNext