Anyone seen one of these before?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:22 pm 

Hi Everyone, I still do not know how to post a picture here but I won this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1 and it had "The Supplement by David Griffith" in it. This is not mentioned on Afterglow's list. The condition is so-so. If anyone is intersted in seeing more please tell me how to post the pics and I will gladly do so.

John

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:25 pm 

pleveich wrote:Hi Everyone, I still do not know how to post a picture here but I won this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1 and it had "The Supplement by David Griffith" in it. This is not mentioned on Afterglow's list. The condition is so-so. If anyone is intersted in seeing more please tell me how to post the pics and I will gladly do so.

John

No I don't, was interested in that myself. This was one of the more interesting items in the bunch (and there were quite a few) let me know if you don't need some of them...

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:31 pm 

Most or all of the semi-rare stuff I need for my collection. Besides, I would not hold a grudge or anything *cough* http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1  
*cough* :x :x Good win on those Brette. I will see though and post here if there is anything interesting from that lot I plan on getting rid of. Right now all my stuff is piled on other stuff as we rearange the place so I do not even have an acurate tally of all the stuff I do have. Hopefully I will actually have days off this week and can get working on that (the wife would sure be happy).

John

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:39 pm 

I was only really interested in issue 2, the rest I will have for trade/sale.. oh sounds like my place as well... Literaly!! LOL

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:30 pm 

Did you get this supplement item yet? I would be interested in hearing more about it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:47 pm 

I have had it for a while. I will happily post a run-down of contents and pictures if someone can point me to where instructions are for posting pictures and how to do it. I flipped through it on arrival and from memory it has a bunch of semi-useful tables and maybe some other things that elude my memory at this time.

John

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:18 pm 

(Reprinted from a reply I made at Traveller Modules )

Traveller wrote:Now, in order to be able to send the Valuation Board your scans, you need to have a website to link them from. Your ISP generally gives you a small amount of space, between 10 and 100MB for your own purposes. Upload the pictures to the website using the tools your ISP provides you, and then use the following coding in your post:

Code:
[img]http://yourwebsite/picture.jpg[/img]

When you post the message, the message board software interprets the IMG code in your post and pulls the image off the website and displays it here. Note that you CANNOT use Geocities or its kin to do this as they don't allow remote loading, which is what you're doing.

There are several sites that are useful for storing pictures.  The first, and perhaps the best, is photobucket, at Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing .

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:31 pm 

Yep.

Sign up for photobucket and just upload an image from your files. Host it there and post it here via BBcode.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:39 pm 

Is that how you guys do an avatar as well? I will work on it tomorrow night and get some pics and a better description posted.

John

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:58 pm 

pleveich wrote:Is that how you guys do an avatar as well?

Yes. Except for the fact that you have to go into your profile and link to off site avatar which can be hosted at your photobucket account.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:05 pm 

Ah, thank you for the help. Now I have to find a suitable avatar to use.......

John

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:13 pm 

Sigh!!! Sorry everyone, this one is going to have to wait until at least tomorrow. I have been working since this morning (after working until 1 AM last night) and will be working until midnight tonight. I will get this one up for all to see (along with my description) as soon as I can.

John

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:21 pm 

We're almost there. I was only called into work today for a couple hours this afternoon. I am waiting for the Photobucket e-mail and I can start working on getting that posted. Is there an "optimum" size for pics to use on the forums of the Acaeum? What about the size of the pic for the avatar? Thanks for all the help everyone.

John

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:58 pm 

Okay here is a run-down description of THE SUPPLEMENT BY DAVID GRIFFITH. Pics are posted after the description.

Blue cover (no back cover) with original drawing by David Griffith looks to be made from the old colored paper we used in kindergarten for stuff. There are 16 pages following. All are stapled together with three staples (one was missing) along the left edge. See picture.
1. Title page = see picture
2. Dedication page. It says "To the infamous Red Phraint, may SKAPERP never get him."
3. Page titled "Character Rolling Sheets" = see picture
4. Two tables, Character race table and social class by race table
5. One table in two column format. The table is labeled Social Rank.
6. Four tables: Armor, Weapons, Tools & Misc. Equipment (spans two columns) and Coinage Value Chart.
7. Strength Chart = goes up to 30 strength and has the following columns: Strength, Open Doors, Ability w/Crowbar, Attack Bonus, Damage Bonus, Carry Weight, One Hand Weapon Use.
8. New Character Class: The Dark Lord (see picture).
9. Three tables of Darl Lord information. Dark Lord Abilities Table which goes over levels, spells at that level, HD, level name and No. of Undead. Innate Abilities Table which lists special abilities gained at differing levels and One that looks like a spells list per levels.
10. Looks like a copied page from the Dragon Magazine Titled Martial Artists: A New Character Class by Brian Wagner. This page has the number 37 centered in between the two columns on the bottom.
11. Continuation of the previous Martial Artist decription. It has a drawing by Paul Jaquays on the bottom and is numbered 38 beneath the picture.
12. Two tables: Magic_User's Spell Progression and Druid's Spell Progression. The tables and the one on the following page list how many spells are available pre level. Interstingly enough the M-U speel levels go up to level 15 spells at 30th level character. The Druid spell levels stop at 7th for a 15th level character.
13. Table with Cleric's Spell Progression. This one mirrors the M-U spells table from the previous page in character and spell levels but has less spells per level available.
14. Mutation Tables information page.
15. Two Tables: Physical Mutations and Mental Mutations.
16. Two Tables and one original drawing. The tables are Extra and Out-Sized Body Parts and New Body Parts. See picture

If anyone has any other questions let me know. I'll be happy to answer them.

John

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:02 pm 

Cool.

Now, you can try to resize the pictures possibly. You can do this right in your photobucket album. Click edit next to the pict and select resize. Basically you want to shoot for no wider than 600px in most cases so that we don't have to scroll back and forth to read text within the thread's page. You don't even have to edit your post in most cases as the image will auto resize at your host.

Also, I am on dsl but others might prefer slightly smaller resolution selections. Sometimes details fall off too much but 100k is more than enough for most 600x500 ish images.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:07 pm 

I love that art. It looks like the folk art of fantasy.  :lol:

Definitely looks like a classically unrealized nonTSR item from the late 70's. Charming if not useful.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:20 pm 

Thanks for the tip Adam, I have resized the pictures. It is interesting. I wonder what went through the mind when he was creating it? How did he pick which tables to insert, etc. It will definitely be a keeper for the Non-TSR collection. Now if only I had won that Tradervale .....

John

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:26 pm 

pleveich wrote:I wonder what went through the mind when he was creating it?

Angledust?  :lol:

Better yet. I wonder what was going through Brian Blume's mind when this item came across his desk at TSR.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:20 pm 

Probably was thinking "Oh God, not another one!" Can you imagine how many wonderful non-TSR products there would be (given all our collective imaginations at that time) if TSR had not been so greedy? The non-TSR stuff might have kept the interest in the game going strong even after TSR started putting out really crappy junk and thereby made them more money in the long run. I just love reading through the old non-TSR stuff I have. Some of it is not good... but almost all of it comes from the heart made by people who loved the game.

Sigh!!!!!!!!!  

John

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:57 pm 

I think in hindsight it is kinda easy to understand the way things should have went. But at the time they were trying to protect their share of the market and there were certainly plenty of people looking to take as much of that share as they could. eg. Chaosium, Flying Buffalo, etc.

That being said. There were plenty of efforts like this item that the high ups at TSR got a hard-on about wielding power over. As if they would steal TSR's share with such low standards. Gamers are a rough lot when it comes to bizness.