War of the Rings Board Game
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:19 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:
harami2000 wrote:*chuckles*. (21.12 on your bid, but maybe I should've left that to the Canucks to explain :oops:)

We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx
Our great computers fill the hallowed halls.
We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx
All the gifts of life are held within our walls.

And, of course, they are from Canada.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread. 8)

Neil Peart is a god. (greater god of percussive mastery anyway)  8)   Anyone besides me think that Neil, Geddy, and Alex sat around playing D&D in the basement in between writing their tunes and some of their gaming experiences influenced their songs?  I gotta go start digging up lyrics and make some correlations.  :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:16 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx

Who? The Valuation Board? :D :lol:

sry! ^^
KingOfPain wrote:Neil Peart is a god. (greater god of percussive mastery anyway) 8) Anyone besides me think that Neil, Geddy, and Alex sat around playing D&D in the basement in between writing their tunes and some of their gaming experiences influenced their songs? I gotta go start digging up lyrics and make some correlations. :D

2112 doesn't quite fit the content aspect of IO's Music and D&D thread, phps, but many others certainly hit a lot closer.
Rivendell and By-Tor and the Snow Dog (*g*) on "Fly by Night", certainly.
"Lyrically this [album] isn't exactly a stunning triumph, falling into the trap of crossing Ayn Rand and Gary Gygax too often" 8O :P
(Some of the reviews comments here are hilarious in that context!).

Lotsa good music in there, too, though (IMHO). *nods*

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:24 pm 

mdr003 wrote:No, I didn't know about the fantasy section in Sword and Spear. Like you I had my eye on a number of items from the seller fbnindustries, figuring its the same price to ship 6 items as just one. I collect wargaming rules as well as D&D so am always on the lookout for ancient or medieval rules.

Yeah, same here.
In this case I just didn't want to leave ~$10 bids on various items in case I won one of those, but none of the ones I particularly wanted.
That somewhat didn't work out, either. :?

=
Someone must have (or be working on) a list of all games with Tolkien-related rulesets, I'd've thought. For those people with that particular interest...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:43 pm 

harami2000 wrote:(Some of the reviews comments here are hilarious in that context!).

Where do you find time to dig up this stuff?  Absolute hilarity.  :lol:   I especially enjoyed the Van Halen and Pink Floyd reviews.  This guy has waaayyy too much time on his hands.  I will never get bored at work again.

I'll stop hijacking the thread now.  :wink:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:23 am 

harami2000 wrote:
beyondthebreach wrote:We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx

Who? The Valuation Board? :D :lol:

sry! ^^

See now, I back you up on your 2112 joke and then you go and throw it back at me.   Uncool! :D

However, maybe this could be used with a "Music and Gamma World" thread . . . or maybe Twilight 2000 . . . or Paranoia?

(And now I feel better because I've linked this little Rush discussion back to Collecting General - Non TSR/AD&D.

8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:13 pm 

Here is a Fellowship of the Ring board game out of the UK if anyone is interested:

The Fellowship of the Ring Extremely Rare Boardgame | eBay

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:43 pm 

yeah thats like the one i won - only paid a slight bit more than that too. thats a 2nd print box as well.

nice condition too!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:18 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:See now, I back you up on your 2112 joke and then you go and throw it back at me. Uncool! :D

:( :(

And here's me thought those computers in the Valuation Board temple would fit in quite well with our little Acaeum set up (<IO>'s collectors gallery, the Judges Guild hall, White Box castle, etc.... Image).

beyondthebreach wrote:However, maybe this could be used with a "Music and Gamma World" thread . . . or maybe Twilight 2000 . . . or Paranoia?

(And now I feel better because I've linked this little Rush discussion back to Collecting General - Non TSR/AD&D.

Heh, heh... had the same thought myself when originally posting.
Might've been more Gamma World or TW2000ish had the intro lyrics/theme been more what I'd originally thought they were rather than what they actually are... (problems registering there!)

No such luck tying back to the original thread, so I'll leave it hanging...

(Was gonna try listening to Bo Hansson on continuous loop whilst playing War of the Ring, but prolly best not to Image :o)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:03 pm 

I was looking through the Winter Con VII program and it mentions as one of the role-playing game tournaments a "short beginners level D&D tournament based on Tolkienesque fantasy" (MDG 26).  Anyone know what the this was?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:18 am 

I have a veritable tonnage of con programs with the MDG program you are talking about. I will have a look later on today for clues but usually these tourney scenerios are one time deals without much in the line of production pre tourney or post tourney. I often look at the listings and wonder what items made it to production as I am sure a few of them did. I really enjoy reading the 'billing' of the tourney such as the one you mention. Kinda makes you want to join in if you could step back 30 years :D

I also like to do reverse searches. When I know a module has been run at a con it is fun to get that con's program to locate it's listing. Quite often it is not obvious other than knowing a gaming club or specific rpg type is mentioned in the program.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:07 pm 

I see this is a short adventure run by ' Detroit's Don Leiber'. Probably just a one time deal at this con as the item listed above it is the 'Quest of the Fazzlewood' as the tournaments featured Open D&D tourney. I googled him real quick and didn't find anything else. Doesn't mean he isn't around the hobby anymore somewheres.

Plus, at teh front of this thread. The link to Mike Kuo's webpage is a really great resource. I just heard he is looking to sell off his entire collection (again as his D&D is already gone) and move on to adulthood.  :lol:
He is a member on this board if anyone is interested in dumping what is guaranteed to be a huge amount of cash on probably the most intensive LotR board game collection out there....knowing his collecting capabilities.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:14 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:I see this is a short adventure run by ' Detroit's Don Leiber'. Probably just a one time deal at this con as the item listed above it is the 'Quest of the Fazzlewood' as the tournaments featured Open D&D tourney. I googled him real quick and didn't find anything else. Doesn't mean he isn't around the hobby anymore somewheres.

Plus, at teh front of this thread. The link to Mike Kuo's webpage is a really great resource. I just heard he is looking to sell off his entire collection (again as his D&D is already gone) and move on to adulthood. :lol:
He is a member on this board if anyone is interested in dumping what is guaranteed to be a huge amount of cash on probably the most intensive LotR board game collection out there....knowing his collecting capabilities.

yeah i am speaking to mike atm - hes a really nice guy - gonna buy some off him.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:10 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:I see this is a short adventure run by ' Detroit's Don Leiber'. Probably just a one time deal at this con as the item listed above it is the 'Quest of the Fazzlewood' as the tournaments featured Open D&D tourney. I googled him real quick and didn't find anything else. Doesn't mean he isn't around the hobby anymore somewheres.

Plus, at teh front of this thread. The link to Mike Kuo's webpage is a really great resource. I just heard he is looking to sell off his entire collection (again as his D&D is already gone) and move on to adulthood. :lol:

It kind of makes me sad to see people, particularly some of the original members of this forum, that have decided to to pack it in and move on. :( I actually only started posting on the forum here a little under a year ago, but I was well aware of it back way back when it was originaly started by Scott.  Since I have read just about every post and every thread on here, I know that there was a bit of falling out that happened which kind of pushed him away, but I think overall it hurts the community.  It kind of sucks now that Frank is no longer actively collecting much either and the burntwire brothers are also selling off a large portion of thier treasures, that it kind of takes some of the fun out of it. Granted it obviouly helps my collection and collecting when some of the bigger fish move on and out of the game, but it also eliminates a lot of the fun of the competition involved in getting stuff.  I remember back several years ago I actually got an email from Mike(I guarentee he will never remeber it because he did not know me, but I remember becuase I remember just about everything. 8O ) in regards to some shrinkwrapped modules that I won on Ebay that he was looking to trade for. I think he probably mistook me for someone who didnt know what I was doing becuase, IIRC he was trying to lowball me on the offer. :wink: Truthfully, I think that would rather win less and lose more if the community would be as electric as it was a couple of years ago. And to be totally truthful, that says a lot, becuase I freaking hate to lose at anything. :lol: Granted David & Jeff still a pretty good job of getting me but still the more the merrier! Oh well, I digress....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:18 pm 

I think he probably mistook me for someone who didnt know what I was doing becuase IIRC he was trying to lowball me on the offer

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Join the crowd.

If he doesn't remember you it is because he was actively pursuing every other 1st, 2nd, and 3rd highest bidders on ebay at the moment for his crazy eddie brainstorm trades. Couple that along with his combing every corner of the net for stuff and I can imagine his email bandwidth was really overwhelmed.

Definitely one of the more colorful people in the hobby. I didn't much care for him at first but we became fast friends and spent WAY too much time IMing one another. I get a bit wistful to see some of the oldbies come around again but there are always others coming along just as excited as those before us to fill the gaps.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:17 pm 

Howdy all!

I disagree with Adam. From day one, he was already stalking me :lol: I don't think he is just a collector, but also a gaymer 8) :lol: j/k.
Also Adam, the lease on the sw 10th anniv box set is up, send it back to me via USPS express with delivery confirmation and insurance. :-)

Many thanks to the guys that "advertised" my site and go to my site! If anyone can contribute information, let me know.

Hamhock 2000 (Harami) :D please pm me back as I have some questions for you on the Ancient Warfare item.

Anyone interested in tolkien items pm me.

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:52 pm 

Dont get homo on me!  :lol:

I cannot believe you sold Bonewits 1st away w/o telling me! Who did you sell it to?? Answer my email you nut!!  :lol: Child protective services called today. i thought you were kidding.

Previous