What else does everyone collect?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:17 pm 

Oh...and there are lots of "Tristans" out there in American schools....but the victims are girls whose parents know almost nothing about King Arthur.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:20 pm 

The only good reason to have a child is for sticking some interesting name on it. I am considering Tekeli-li. Now all I need is a woman who will bear the child and agree to the name. The former is as simple as picking up the last drunken woman at the bar very early some sunday morning. The latter might prove more difficult. I would be hoping to produce a female infant.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:12 pm 

I disagree. There are several reasons to reproduce:

Tax deduction
Someone to fetch the remote and other small items
The joy of playing God and molding a human into your desired image

And, of course, someone to inherit the collection.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:17 pm 

As cool as it may sound to name a child after your favorite rpg or fictional character, when it comes down to the actual deed of naming, (how to put this gently...) common sense arrives to save the day.

I have three children - Allison, Benjamin and Anna. Call me and wife boring, but there it is. Classic names and two are family names from way back.

Look, you want to name your son Frodo - knock yourself out. But when he gets bigger the first thing he's gonna do is kick your ass. Then he'll get it changed legally - unless he has suffered so much mental anguish that he dresses in black each and every day and sports a few dozen piercings.

Without sounding too serious, though. I do wonder about the sanity in naming your child after some fictional character. Gives the child some impossible standard in which to live by.

I know bizarre names are all the rage today. To each their own. But stigmas do exist - real and percieved. Putting a child behind the 8-ball because one likes a fictional character - or worse some overhyped actor in a movie adaptation - is ... well ... at the very least negligent. And I will leave it at that.

Name your cat Arwen or Galadriel. Name your dog Boromir. Give your kids a little more thought of the future.

But they are your kids, do what you want. But they are huge investments (time and money) and not soon after they enter your world you discover that they take up much of your life - and its worth every minute - and you will want the best for them. A name should be part of that thought process. Not an afterthougt.

I have seen more that one kid at a convention with some bizarre name from a fantasy novel or Star Trek character. Their parents looked like freaking morons. Yeah, that kid has chance...

By the way. I tend to collect stuff from my early gaming years. Metagaming, SPI games, some other related items. I actuall tried getting early printings of Conan novels and stories...don't have the cash for that. I've got about 3,500 comics (Marvel) from way back that take up space in my storage room.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:56 pm 

bbarsh wrote:As cool as it may sound to name a child after your favorite rpg or fictional character, when it comes down to the actual deed of naming, (how to put this gently...) common sense arrives to save the day.

I have three children - Allison, Benjamin and Anna. Call me and wife boring, but there it is. Classic names and two are family names from way back.

Look, you want to name your son Frodo - knock yourself out. But when he gets bigger the first thing he's gonna do is kick your ass. Then he'll get it changed legally - unless he has suffered so much mental anguish that he dresses in black each and every day and sports a few dozen piercings.

Without sounding too serious, though. I do wonder about the sanity in naming your child after some fictional character. Gives the child some impossible standard in which to live by.

I know bizarre names are all the rage today. To each their own. But stigmas do exist - real and percieved. Putting a child behind the 8-ball because one likes a fictional character - or worse some overhyped actor in a movie adaptation - is ... well ... at the very least negligent. And I will leave it at that.

Name your cat Arwen or Galadriel. Name your dog Boromir. Give your kids a little more thought of the future.

But they are your kids, do what you want. But they are huge investments (time and money) and not soon after they enter your world you discover that they take up much of your life - and its worth every minute - and you will want the best for them. A name should be part of that thought process. Not an afterthougt.

I have seen more that one kid at a convention with some bizarre name from a fantasy novel or Star Trek character. Their parents looked like freaking morons. Yeah, that kid has chance...

By the way. I tend to collect stuff from my early gaming years. Metagaming, SPI games, some other related items. I actuall tried getting early printings of Conan novels and stories...don't have the cash for that. I've got about 3,500 comics (Marvel) from way back that take up space in my storage room.

You make some good points. My son Gandalf will hate me later in life.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:45 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
bbarsh wrote:As cool as it may sound to name a child after your favorite rpg or fictional character, when it comes down to the actual deed of naming, (how to put this gently...) common sense arrives to save the day.

You make some good points. My son Gandalf will hate me later in life.

Just hope he is still Gandalf the Grey...That G the White is a real ass-kicker 8O  :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:20 pm 

I met a kid today named Titan.

Anyone else here collect books?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:40 am 

I collect Arkham House publications and Wierd Tales writers.  Well, I don't actually collect the writers...but I collect their work.    8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:06 pm 

Bruises.

Jukoshyn Ryu England

A camera shy me on the right involved in my first love - martial arts.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:45 pm 

In the picture:  Does that guy's belt with red sections indicate a really pissed-off black belt?   :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:55 am 

johnhuck wrote:Bruises.

Jukoshyn Ryu England

John's ability to dislocate his shoulder joint comes in handy in his chosen sport. :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:10 am 

MShipley88 wrote:In the picture: Does that guy's belt with red sections indicate a really pissed-off black belt?  :(

Extremely.  Stefan has a great ability to inflict a huge amount of pain with the minimum of effort.  And I get used in a lot of the demonstrations.  Lucky me! :?

mbassoc2003 wrote:John's ability to dislocate his shoulder joint comes in handy in his chosen sport. :lol:

And I don't need to ask anyone to scratch my back. :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:04 am 

Jukoshyn Ryu England

Come on, John, I bet you could take that guy!  What is he, about 5' 2" and 130 pounds?   :lol:  :lol:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:28 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:

Jukoshyn Ryu England

Come on, John, I bet you could take that guy! What is he, about 5' 2" and 130 pounds?  :lol: :lol:

Maybe with a natural 20 to the family jewels! 8O  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:40 am 

Does anyone here collect dice?  If you do, what do you look for?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:31 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Does anyone here collect dice?

Unlikely. Who'd want to do a thing like that?

New or used...? :P

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:48 am 

harami2000 wrote:
MShipley88 wrote:Does anyone here collect dice?

Unlikely. Who'd want to do a thing like that?

New or used...? :P

Oh yes! :D

Recommended reading...

original dice resources?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:02 am 

On the subject of dice, what is the story behind 'the dice' on IOs top shelf?

PreviousNext