What else does everyone collect?
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:50 am 

b_stedman wrote:Lorien - has the name been good or bad for you, both growing up and nowadays? We're thinking of "Arwen" for a future daughter, but I'm concerned that it's far too obvious, and I should delve deeper into the dictionary of JRRT names, or just borrow yours!

I think that naming a girl Arwen or Lorien is perfectly fine.  They are both beautiful names and in my opinion are less likely to elicit a negative response from someone as opposed to naming a boy Denethor or Imrahil.  Think of the beatings the kid would suffer.   8O

If my girlfriend and I ever decided to have kids I don't think she would be too keen on naming one of our kids after a Tolkien character.  She was very open to using a name from the Arthurian legends though.  She liked both Gareth and Tristram (or was it Tristan she liked?).  But animals are another deal entirely.  I have had cats named Frodo and Bilbo.  And it would be a perfect match to have a trio of fat puppies and name them Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur.  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:18 pm 

b_stedman wrote:Lorien - has the name been good or bad for you, both growing up and nowadays? We're thinking of "Arwen" for a future daughter, but I'm concerned that it's far too obvious, and I should delve deeper into the dictionary of JRRT names, or just borrow yours!

When I was little I was always asking my parents what my name meant, because eveyone used to say it was so unusual, and I loved the way my mum explained it to me. I think there are now a few Lorien's out there, but pretty sure being born in 1980 I must've been one of the first dozen or so. I did go through a phase of thinking I didn't deserve the name, but I've never seriously wanted to change it. It's also I think given me a stronger sense of who I am because I've never had to compare myself to anyone else with the same name as me.

My one pet hate though has to be when people pronounce my name with an "a", e.g. Lorianne. Most people if they make this mistake, make it only once ;-)

If you did have a daughter and named her Arwen or Lorien, the chances are still extremely low that she will meet anyone with the same name (I've only heard of other Lorien's, never met one, nor have any of my friends).

I agree with finding boys names more difficult, because you don't want it too sound to unusual or feminine. Personally, if I had ever children I will be delving into my fantasy collection for names as well, probably either JRRT or a D&D one (and yes, Arwen would be on my list).

Back on topic, looking at my room right now, I also collect rubbish and dirty clothes ;-)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:49 pm 

I wouldn't name a girl Arwen. The name has definately entered 'pop-vocabulary', and would be pretty recognizable. Not a kind thing to do, imo. Not quite as bad as naming a boy "Gimli" though :lol:

Lorien though, that's a great name. Sounds very feminine, and not many folks are going to pick it out as a JRR name.

I've got a cousin named "Ember", which was taken from Elfquest ;)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:10 pm 

I had determined that my daughter WAS going to have a fantasy name either as a first or middle name, and Arwen was definantly thrown around (mostly as a middle name idea, I liked.)  My husband wouldn't let me do Morgaine (He felt it was too Masculine for a girl) so we finally settled on Catelyn from GRRM's saga.  It's also a fairly "normal" name but with a little different spelling so it's not so "in-your-face" fantasy.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:03 pm 

I had one from the DMG on my list of boys names; Gutboy 8O

Although it didn't even get a comment after some of my other suggestions e.g. Agamemnon, Genghis, Obadiah, Uther

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:14 pm 

I had a student two years ago whose name was "Talena"...Tarl Cabot's original slave-girl/love interest in the Gor novels.  She was vaguely aware that her name came from somewhere in the fantasy realm....

I know of at least one "Sam" whose parents named him after Samwise Gamgee.  I did not tell them that "Samwise" means "halfwit."

I taught one fourth-grade "Anakin" this year.

I have taught two or three girls named "Menolly".  (From the Dragon Riders of Pern books)

I know of at least one boy named "Riven"...short for "Rivendel."

There are a fair number of "Conans" out there, but Conan was always an British Isles name.

There are a lot of fantasy-related names out there these days.  Most of the time they seem to be hung upon kids who do not match the fantasy characters....or are comically different.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:17 pm 

Oh...and there are lots of "Tristans" out there in American schools....but the victims are girls whose parents know almost nothing about King Arthur.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:20 pm 

The only good reason to have a child is for sticking some interesting name on it. I am considering Tekeli-li. Now all I need is a woman who will bear the child and agree to the name. The former is as simple as picking up the last drunken woman at the bar very early some sunday morning. The latter might prove more difficult. I would be hoping to produce a female infant.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:12 pm 

I disagree. There are several reasons to reproduce:

Tax deduction
Someone to fetch the remote and other small items
The joy of playing God and molding a human into your desired image

And, of course, someone to inherit the collection.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:17 pm 

As cool as it may sound to name a child after your favorite rpg or fictional character, when it comes down to the actual deed of naming, (how to put this gently...) common sense arrives to save the day.

I have three children - Allison, Benjamin and Anna. Call me and wife boring, but there it is. Classic names and two are family names from way back.

Look, you want to name your son Frodo - knock yourself out. But when he gets bigger the first thing he's gonna do is kick your ass. Then he'll get it changed legally - unless he has suffered so much mental anguish that he dresses in black each and every day and sports a few dozen piercings.

Without sounding too serious, though. I do wonder about the sanity in naming your child after some fictional character. Gives the child some impossible standard in which to live by.

I know bizarre names are all the rage today. To each their own. But stigmas do exist - real and percieved. Putting a child behind the 8-ball because one likes a fictional character - or worse some overhyped actor in a movie adaptation - is ... well ... at the very least negligent. And I will leave it at that.

Name your cat Arwen or Galadriel. Name your dog Boromir. Give your kids a little more thought of the future.

But they are your kids, do what you want. But they are huge investments (time and money) and not soon after they enter your world you discover that they take up much of your life - and its worth every minute - and you will want the best for them. A name should be part of that thought process. Not an afterthougt.

I have seen more that one kid at a convention with some bizarre name from a fantasy novel or Star Trek character. Their parents looked like freaking morons. Yeah, that kid has chance...

By the way. I tend to collect stuff from my early gaming years. Metagaming, SPI games, some other related items. I actuall tried getting early printings of Conan novels and stories...don't have the cash for that. I've got about 3,500 comics (Marvel) from way back that take up space in my storage room.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:56 pm 

bbarsh wrote:As cool as it may sound to name a child after your favorite rpg or fictional character, when it comes down to the actual deed of naming, (how to put this gently...) common sense arrives to save the day.

I have three children - Allison, Benjamin and Anna. Call me and wife boring, but there it is. Classic names and two are family names from way back.

Look, you want to name your son Frodo - knock yourself out. But when he gets bigger the first thing he's gonna do is kick your ass. Then he'll get it changed legally - unless he has suffered so much mental anguish that he dresses in black each and every day and sports a few dozen piercings.

Without sounding too serious, though. I do wonder about the sanity in naming your child after some fictional character. Gives the child some impossible standard in which to live by.

I know bizarre names are all the rage today. To each their own. But stigmas do exist - real and percieved. Putting a child behind the 8-ball because one likes a fictional character - or worse some overhyped actor in a movie adaptation - is ... well ... at the very least negligent. And I will leave it at that.

Name your cat Arwen or Galadriel. Name your dog Boromir. Give your kids a little more thought of the future.

But they are your kids, do what you want. But they are huge investments (time and money) and not soon after they enter your world you discover that they take up much of your life - and its worth every minute - and you will want the best for them. A name should be part of that thought process. Not an afterthougt.

I have seen more that one kid at a convention with some bizarre name from a fantasy novel or Star Trek character. Their parents looked like freaking morons. Yeah, that kid has chance...

By the way. I tend to collect stuff from my early gaming years. Metagaming, SPI games, some other related items. I actuall tried getting early printings of Conan novels and stories...don't have the cash for that. I've got about 3,500 comics (Marvel) from way back that take up space in my storage room.

You make some good points. My son Gandalf will hate me later in life.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:45 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
bbarsh wrote:As cool as it may sound to name a child after your favorite rpg or fictional character, when it comes down to the actual deed of naming, (how to put this gently...) common sense arrives to save the day.

You make some good points. My son Gandalf will hate me later in life.

Just hope he is still Gandalf the Grey...That G the White is a real ass-kicker 8O  :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:20 pm 

I met a kid today named Titan.

Anyone else here collect books?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:40 am 

I collect Arkham House publications and Wierd Tales writers.  Well, I don't actually collect the writers...but I collect their work.    8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:06 pm 

Bruises.

Jukoshyn Ryu England

A camera shy me on the right involved in my first love - martial arts.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:45 pm 

In the picture:  Does that guy's belt with red sections indicate a really pissed-off black belt?   :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:55 am 

johnhuck wrote:Bruises.

Jukoshyn Ryu England

A camera shy me on the right involved in my first love - martial arts.

John's ability to dislocate his shoulder joint comes in handy in his chosen sport. :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:10 am 

MShipley88 wrote:In the picture: Does that guy's belt with red sections indicate a really pissed-off black belt?  :(

Extremely.  Stefan has a great ability to inflict a huge amount of pain with the minimum of effort.  And I get used in a lot of the demonstrations.  Lucky me! :?

mbassoc2003 wrote:John's ability to dislocate his shoulder joint comes in handy in his chosen sport. :lol:

And I don't need to ask anyone to scratch my back. :wink:

PreviousNext