What else does everyone collect?
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:52 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I collect Judges Guild and history books and Tolkien stuff and things by or about R. E. Howard.
I have Dragon Magazines stashed away...from about #14 up to #200 or so.

*waves a few Tolkien rarities to see whether I can lure away a few old Dragons from the hoard*

What; no luck? Pity... :P

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:39 am 

Juts out of curiosity, what are Tolkien rarities? Do you mean (for example) rare miniatures, or gaming items, or early handwritten drafts of the Silmarillion with lots of interesting annotations?

edited to add that I was going to amend the 'Juts' to 'Just' but actually it kindof makes sense to jut out with curiosity, no?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:39 pm 

red_bus wrote:Juts out of curiosity, what are Tolkien rarities?

The one ring perhaps? Gandalf's staff?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:39 pm 

Tolkien rarities - here's a couple for you containing material by JRRT himself:

The Welsh Review (1945)
Saw one go on ebay for a hundred and sixty. Was tempted.

Songs for the Philologist
This goes for many THOUSANDS

And obviously 1st editions are a little rarer than 20th editions!

or one I do have is the film book to the Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings.
Probably more in the uncommon rather than the rare category.
I've quite a collection of JRRT books - by/with/from/containing/about Tolkien etc

BJS

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:44 pm 

red_bus wrote:Juts out of curiosity, what are Tolkien rarities? Do you mean (for example) rare miniatures, or gaming items, or early handwritten drafts of the Silmarillion with lots of interesting annotations?

:lol:  :lol:

I did ask, but no luck on those! :P

Since we were on to "other stuff" people collect, I was meaning more the non-RPG items. My brother has the JRRT-related RPG collection...

Nah, no mss., just a reasonable cross-section of less common items; from mint copies of the de-luxe "Poems & Stories" through 1950s "Hobbit"s with djs (dustjackets, not dinner jackets ;)), first edition Tree & Leaf (only copy signed by Michael Tolkien for the 50th Anniversary of JRR's "On Fairy Stories" lecture at Uni.), first edition "Fellowship of the Ring" (later dj), Middle English Vocabulary, etc.

That kinda stuff...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:46 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:The one ring perhaps? Gandalf's staff?

*ROTFL* :D

=
*nods to BJS* (dun have that one...)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:16 pm 

This is where I get to "brag".

I've lived in Moseley (Bham), very close to where Tolkein spent some of his years.

And *drum roll please* my real name is Lorien (not changed by deed poll or anything it's the name my parents gave me).

Don't have any items though *runs away and hides in shame*  :-(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:01 pm 

I don't collect Tolkien artifacts and the like.  I collect his works in various editions  and his papers as edited by his son.

I also collect Tolkien-related books such as biographies, collections of letters and the like.  Any book by a Tolkien scholar interests me.

I think it would be impractical to collect actual Tolkien relics (like signed books and such) due both to cost and my location on the far western edge of the Western world.  (Although, I guess Australia would pose even more of a challenge.)   :roll:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:20 pm 

A good amount of his original manuscripts (notes, rough drafts, etc) are in the archives of the library at Marquette University.  I went there for college and had to do a paper on his work.  Being able to go through that stuff was a treat and got me an A on my paper.

ICQ YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:00 pm 

I also collect Tamiya models (1/35 military and 1/20 F1 mostly).

All kinds of rpgs and miniatures.

The party awakens in a place where there is no light and no sounds but their own. Characters with infravision can ascertain that all party members are presented. The place they are in looks and feels like a natural cave, about 30 feet in diameter.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:11 pm 

Winterwords .....  

I am interested in what books you have in your poetry collection.  

Harami .....

I have to say that your puma avatar makes you look very sagacious and rather intimidating.  That cougar's face, winking at me, always makes me wonder what he knows that I don't.  Also, it kind of makes me picture you as some sort of lycanthrope:  A puma-were or something.   :wink:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:52 pm 

MShipley88 wrote: Harami .....

I have to say that your puma avatar makes you look very sagacious and rather intimidating. That cougar's face, winking at me, always makes me wonder what he knows that I don't. Also, it kind of makes me picture you as some sort of lycanthrope: A puma-were or something. :wink:

Harami's avatar is inspired by a dear EBay friend of his and many others on here.:wink: As a matter of fact he is probably winking in the picture because he is now proud to announce that he is a "Titanium Rated Power Seller." :P Damn it, where the hell is Draco when we need him. :lol:

BTW, Back on topic, I personally collect navel lint, butt fuzz, and toe jam :mrgreen:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:23 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Winterwords .....
I am interested in what books you have in your poetry collection.

I have a nearly complete list somewhere, none of them are rares, but I do have a first ed W. H. Davies from 1931 or 32 that I fished out of skip where I used to work which I'm proud I saved. I'll pm or mail the list to you over the weekend when I can find it (it's handwritten, so I'll put it onto my comp over the weekend).

I like Harami's avatar as well, and thought it might be a certain reference, but I like it just because I like that type of large cat, resembles my two cats, who are abyssinians.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:19 am 

Tolkien stuff contd.
Yes, I even go for things like "York Notes to The Hobbit" and books containing just a bit of Tolkien. Over hundred books, and many more on my Amazon wish list :-)

AND also books that Tolkien read / found as inspiration - like the Snergs, Lord Dunsany, Prose/Elder Edda, and lots of Icelandic sagas

AND I've read three quarters of them as well :?

No, I don't have any MERP stuff. And generally I only buy paperback - couldn't afford hardback as well.

Lorien - has the name been good or bad for you, both growing up and nowadays? We're thinking of "Arwen" for a future daughter, but I'm concerned that it's far too obvious, and I should delve deeper into the dictionary of JRRT names, or just borrow yours!

BJS

PS - Twice or thrice now I've bought a Tolkien book I've already got without realising it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:50 am 

b_stedman wrote:Lorien - has the name been good or bad for you, both growing up and nowadays? We're thinking of "Arwen" for a future daughter, but I'm concerned that it's far too obvious, and I should delve deeper into the dictionary of JRRT names, or just borrow yours!

I think that naming a girl Arwen or Lorien is perfectly fine.  They are both beautiful names and in my opinion are less likely to elicit a negative response from someone as opposed to naming a boy Denethor or Imrahil.  Think of the beatings the kid would suffer.   8O

If my girlfriend and I ever decided to have kids I don't think she would be too keen on naming one of our kids after a Tolkien character.  She was very open to using a name from the Arthurian legends though.  She liked both Gareth and Tristram (or was it Tristan she liked?).  But animals are another deal entirely.  I have had cats named Frodo and Bilbo.  And it would be a perfect match to have a trio of fat puppies and name them Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur.  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:18 pm 

b_stedman wrote:Lorien - has the name been good or bad for you, both growing up and nowadays? We're thinking of "Arwen" for a future daughter, but I'm concerned that it's far too obvious, and I should delve deeper into the dictionary of JRRT names, or just borrow yours!

When I was little I was always asking my parents what my name meant, because eveyone used to say it was so unusual, and I loved the way my mum explained it to me. I think there are now a few Lorien's out there, but pretty sure being born in 1980 I must've been one of the first dozen or so. I did go through a phase of thinking I didn't deserve the name, but I've never seriously wanted to change it. It's also I think given me a stronger sense of who I am because I've never had to compare myself to anyone else with the same name as me.

My one pet hate though has to be when people pronounce my name with an "a", e.g. Lorianne. Most people if they make this mistake, make it only once ;-)

If you did have a daughter and named her Arwen or Lorien, the chances are still extremely low that she will meet anyone with the same name (I've only heard of other Lorien's, never met one, nor have any of my friends).

I agree with finding boys names more difficult, because you don't want it too sound to unusual or feminine. Personally, if I had ever children I will be delving into my fantasy collection for names as well, probably either JRRT or a D&D one (and yes, Arwen would be on my list).

Back on topic, looking at my room right now, I also collect rubbish and dirty clothes ;-)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:49 pm 

I wouldn't name a girl Arwen. The name has definately entered 'pop-vocabulary', and would be pretty recognizable. Not a kind thing to do, imo. Not quite as bad as naming a boy "Gimli" though :lol:

Lorien though, that's a great name. Sounds very feminine, and not many folks are going to pick it out as a JRR name.

I've got a cousin named "Ember", which was taken from Elfquest ;)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:10 pm 

I had determined that my daughter WAS going to have a fantasy name either as a first or middle name, and Arwen was definantly thrown around (mostly as a middle name idea, I liked.)  My husband wouldn't let me do Morgaine (He felt it was too Masculine for a girl) so we finally settled on Catelyn from GRRM's saga.  It's also a fairly "normal" name but with a little different spelling so it's not so "in-your-face" fantasy.

PreviousNext