What else does everyone collect?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:52 pm 

I was curious what sorts of non-gaming type things everyone collects, if anything at all (and judging by the fistfulls of cash some of you spend on this, there might not be much  :wink: )

I collect comics (although not a whole lot of new stuff anymore--mostly bronze and silver age) and soccer/football jerseys from around the world.

Any of you folks across the pond want to set me up with a kit from your home club?  I'll send money! Mwah hah hah!

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:32 pm 

I collect some comics, action figures, books and esoteric items that catch my eye. <G>

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:07 pm 

What I collect:

Comic Books - Started collecting back around '80.  First comic book I ever purchased was Uncanny X-Men #193.  Have been hooked ever since.  Currently collect X-Men, Spider-Man, Green Lantern, JSA and anything written by Warren Ellis or Garth Ennis.  Own every X-Men comic from #114 up.  Rarest comic I own is a spiffy Amazing Spider-Man #3.  (first appearance of Sandman).  Coolest comic I own is a Jack Kirby autographed copy of Last of the Viking Heroes #1.

Video Games - Kind of on hiatus as I am spending more money on RPG's at the moment.  But I have been a video game junkie from the first time I laid eyes on an Atari 2600.  Have a sizable collection of Atari 2600 and 5200 games, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, and Playstation games.  The only current console I own is a Nintendo Gamecube...and I only bought that so I could play Metroid Prime.  I also have upwards of 100 PC games.  Titles ranging from Half-Life 2 and Unreal Tournament 2004 to Baldur's Gate and Dungeon Siege.  Someday I hope to either win the lottery or inherit a ton of money so I can buy up a whole bunch of old arcade games like Asteroids and Galaga and build a huge house just for my video games.  :D

Action Figures/Statues - Stopped collecting back in the late 90's.  Too much crap that wasnt worth anything and too difficult to find the really rare chase figures that are the big thing now.  Still have a buttload of Star Wars figures from the 70's.  Have a large collection of comic figures and Star Wars figures from the 90's and a smattering of Starting Lineup sports figures.  Have a small collection of cold-cast/porcelain statues (black and white Spider-Man, Batman, Dark Phoenix) and busts (Silver Surfer, Iron Fist, Megatron, Optimus Prime).  The only things I currently buy in this category are the Star Wars Unleashed figures.

I also went through a phase where I wanted to collect movie posters and Magic: The Gathering cards.  I dont have room for the thirty odd movie posters I have and the Magic cards are collecting dust in a few large binders.  At least they are some nice Revised and Legends cards.  Someday maybe I will have to unload them to make room for more games.  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:36 pm 

Weapons. All kinds. My house is an armory. My goal is to be at least proficient with every weapon. I don't need Great Cleave, just be able to use it effectively.
I collected rare turtles for a while, but now I just breed 2 species. I had 25 or so at one point.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:36 am 

Fiction primarily by Michael Moorcock, HPL, CAS, Neil Gaiman, and Lucius Shepard, though I find too many books too interesting to pass up at times ;)
Realistically, though, the Greyhawk/D&D fixation is the only real item that I actively seek to collect:  most of the rest is casual browsing/searching these days, often in between queries for gaming books.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:19 am 

Comics, large collection of about 40 long boxes dating back to the 60's

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:22 am 

I also collect anime and weapons, both melee and missile (though I have not started on my firearms collection due to how often I move).  The wife collections medical devices, she only have three, but keeps hinting she wants more (and damn are they expensive, and hard to come by).

~jeff

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:39 am 

i collect some comics, not everything tho, just very specific things. Books - mainly sci-fi and fantasy, music - CD's and vinyl, films - DVD and Video and of course RPG stuff, not necessarily stuck to TSR related type o stuff tho....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:02 am 

Blackmoor wrote:Comics, large collection of about 40 long boxes dating back to the 60's

You, me, and Badmike need to pool our resources and open a comic book store.   :D  I've only got 6 long boxes but I have over 70 mid-size boxes plus two large bookshelves filled with trade paperbacks and graphic novels.  I can only guess at how much Badmike has.  I got to see a tenth of his comics in a storage shed and that was quite a bit.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:05 am 

I can still remember finding Amazing Fantasy #15 in a box I bought for $10.
I do collect Conan items, I forgot. I have a few bookcases of paperbacks, but I don't actually collect them, I am just too packrattish to sell them.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:17 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:I can still remember finding Amazing Fantasy #15 in a box I bought for $10.
I do collect Conan items, I forgot. I have a few bookcases of paperbacks, but I don't actually collect them, I am just too packrattish to sell them.

Amazing Fantasy #15......for $10???? Lucky sonuva..... :twisted:

I wish I could find all of the Conan paperbacks but there are just too many and like most people, they dont want to get rid of them so there arent many to find in used book stores.  I have to get my Conan fix by reading all of the old Savage Sword of Conan magazines that I have and the new Dark Horse series is really good as well.

BTW, have you seen the McFarlane toys Conan action figures? They are pretty cool. The only one I have bought though is the King of Aquilonia figure with the throne and backdrop.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:02 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:I wish I could find all of the Conan paperbacks but there are just too many and like most people, they dont want to get rid of them so there arent many to find in used book stores. I have to get my Conan fix by reading all of the old Savage Sword of Conan magazines that I have and the new Dark Horse series is really good as well.

hey KOP...i have some conan paperbacks, which i have been getting round to ebaying for like a small sum just to get rid. there aint that many tho and UK > US shipping might be a lil pricey, but if youre interested, i can give you a list of what i have left?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:14 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I can still remember finding Amazing Fantasy #15 in a box I bought for $10.

I have owned Amazing Fantasy 15 2 times, sold them both, one copy I owned I got on a trading card deal when sports cards were hot, probably paid $10-$15 for the cards and got an AF #15 out of the deal.  I have also owned vitually every major silver age comic in my life at one point or another.  I still collect but just to read.  My wife used to collect Star wars memorablia, but she sold a good chunk of it when episode one was about to be released, man were star wars collectables hot back then, we got crazy money for lots of old junk, stuff like old books, toys, games, pictures, even stand ups.
RPG's are still my favorite though, fun to read and collect and you can still get the killer deals at used book stores, flea markets etc.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:45 pm 

madman31 wrote:I was curious what sorts of non-gaming type things everyone collects, if anything at all (and judging by the fistfulls of cash some of you spend on this, there might not be much.

Just started on my collection of Schleich Knights, Moors, and Castle peices -

You members in Germany probably know what I'm talking about, but the rest of you can check them out:

Halberdier

Archer

Black Knight

Castle

Moor on Camelback

Other pieces are available as well. Cool stuff. Go here to see more.

Each peice is about 4-6" tall (not miniatures). Sorry if I sound like an advertisement, but I think this stuff is cool (my wife thinks otherwise).

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:31 pm 

So comics seem to be an overwhelming cross-collection here.  That doesn't surprise me, certainly.  My comic collection is only about 4,000 strong these days.  I have done a lot of paring down of it over the last 5 years or so, by getting rid of junk, replacing some with trades, and the like.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:25 pm 

madman31 wrote:So comics seem to be an overwhelming cross-collection here. That doesn't surprise me, certainly. My comic collection is only about 4,000 strong these days. I have done a lot of paring down of it over the last 5 years or so, by getting rid of junk, replacing some with trades, and the like.

Either comics or books.  I dont consider the thousand or so books that I have to be much of a collection since none of them are really rare or valuable.  I would bet that a lot of people that collect role-playing games also read fantasy/sci-fi books (At least from the past threads I have read just about everyone on this forum does).   I might also expect a lot of people read historical/mythological non-fiction.  Is mythology classified as non-fiction?  Gotta get out my pocket dewey decimal system to check.  :wink:

Regardless of what people think, collecting D&D, miniatures, toys or comics is much more fun than collecting fossilized dinosaur turds and less expensive than collecting cars.  :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:31 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
KingOfPain wrote:I wish I could find all of the Conan paperbacks but there are just too many and like most people, they dont want to get rid of them so there arent many to find in used book stores. I have to get my Conan fix by reading all of the old Savage Sword of Conan magazines that I have and the new Dark Horse series is really good as well.

hey KOP...i have some conan paperbacks, which i have been getting round to ebaying for like a small sum just to get rid. there aint that many tho and UK > US shipping might be a lil pricey, but if youre interested, i can give you a list of what i have left?

Al

Thanks for the offer.  I most likely couldnt afford the shipping right now and I cant make time to read them anyway.  I just started book 3 of the "New Jedi Order" series and I think there are 18 books in the series.  It will probably take me the rest of the year to finish them up.  Then I gotta go back and read all of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series so I can remember what happened by the time his next (hopefully the last) book comes out.  :x

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:45 am 

Used to collect beer cans.  I can remember when you could find old cone tops in the woods....ah, the glory days.

Next