Dr Who?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:06 am 

Here is a scan of the covers:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mdtpetri/ac ... melord.jpg

The inside is titled Dr. Who Role Playing Game and  also makes the statement "Not affiliated with or sponsored by BBC Enterprises".

Last edited by Mars on Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:12 pm 

That's a nice cover design. Simple & elegant.

I like the fonts. The "Players Guide" and "Timemaster Guide" looks like the title font used in the Moldvay Basic Set.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:00 pm 

Mars wrote:Here is a scan of the covers:

404 Not Found

The inside is titled Dr. Who Role Playing Game and  also makes the statement "Not affiliated with or sponsored by BBC Enterprises".

It looks to be a fan-published effort, which would explain both why I've never heard of it (as I keep up to date with the few time travel games out there) and why it's not licensed by the BBC.

It bears no relation to the Time Lord game of 1991 unless it's using Time Lord's "Beat The Difference" resolution mechanic.  But, my curiosity is piqued on this one.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:11 pm 

Traveller wrote:Hmm, that predates the BTRC version of TimeLords, which was drafted about that time, but not actually released until 1987.  However, unless it has actual references to The Doctor, it's not a Doctor Who RPG.  Nevertheless, I'm interested to hear more about this set of books you have.

Not including this new entrant, the only time travel role playing games I know of are the ones I own:

TimeMaster (Pacesetter)
TimeLords (BTRC)
Doctor Who (FASA)
Time Lord (Virgin)

As for Allen's rules, he can answer better than I can, but his rules could not have been posted any earlier than 1991, when Time Lord was published by Virgin.

I am thinking it was around 1994-96, as I wasn't on the net in 1991. My memory isn't what it used to be.

Traveller, your system is  definite improvement over the one I wrote, and is in fact the one I use when I run Time Lord today.

Allen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:29 pm 

I made sure that you got the credit you deserved for the original system.  In fact, I think buried somewhere on my site is a copy of your original system.  If not, the Who-RPG Home Page web site should still have it.

Thank you for the compliment. :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:13 pm 

Has anyone made any progress in finding out more about that Timelord game that was shown above? All my net searches have turned up nothing. if I can ever run down a copy of it, I'll scan it so other interested collectors can look at it. I'm sure it will be tough to find.

Allen

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:10 pm 

I haven't been able to find out anything on it at all either.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:55 pm 

Being fan produced (evident by the quality of the paper used in making the cover, plus the fact that the edges of the pages were not trimmed, which would happen in a professional saddle-stitching job), it's highly unlikely you'll find anything at all about the game.

I have more than one RPG where that is the case.

Previous