Otus / Dee / Roslof / Holloway art for Goodman Games
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:42 am 

For those of us who like to follow the exploits of TSR alumni:

Jeff Dee will soon join Erol Otus as a Dungeon Crawl Classics front-cover artist. Jeff will debut in DCC #19, "The Volcano Caves," due in July. Here's a link:

404 Not Found

And EO keeps getting commissions from Goodman. He'll do the cover for DCC #18, "Citadel of the Demon Prince." Here's the mock-up:

404 Not Found

For those not keeping track, that's seven Goodman covers for Erol: #'s 3, 4, 8, 10, 13, and 18 (plus the limited-edition "Haunted Lighthouse").

The DCCs are the only d20/3e products I'll touch (other than my beloved Neverwinter Nights). The guys at Goodman really do have a genuine affection for the classic 1e stuff, which I appreciate. Now, if they could only score a cover from Trampier ... :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:31 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:For those of us who like to follow the exploits of TSR alumni:

Jeff Dee will soon join Erol Otus as a Dungeon Crawl Classics front-cover artist. Jeff will debut in DCC #19, "The Volcano Caves," due in July. Here's a link:

404 Not Found

And EO keeps getting commissions from Goodman. He'll do the cover for DCC #18, "Citadel of the Demon Prince." Here's the mock-up:

404 Not Found

For those not keeping track, that's seven Goodman covers for Erol: #'s 3, 4, 8, 10, 13, and 18 (plus the limited-edition "Haunted Lighthouse").

The DCCs are the only d20/3e products I'll touch (other than my beloved Neverwinter Nights). The guys at Goodman really do have a genuine affection for the classic 1e stuff, which I appreciate. Now, if they could only score a cover from Trampier ... :wink:

I'll agree; the only 3rd edition stuff I'll touch (my group is still chugging along with 2nd edition) are the Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classics.  The look and the feel is truly 1st edition.  And the scenarios are really quite good, not bogged down in the "Campaign World" junk infecting so many d20 settings where they spend 500 pages telling you everything about their world, new character types, skills, broken character types, more crap, etc,  and a page or two suggesting adventures.  I've got a couple I'm converting to 2nd ed right now to hopefully run my group through. The Otus covers are literally like a time machine back to the early 80s for me!!!

Mike B.

Mike B.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:23 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:The DCCs are the only d20/3e products I'll touch (other than my beloved Neverwinter Nights). The guys at Goodman really do have a genuine affection for the classic 1e stuff, which I appreciate. Now, if they could only score a cover from Trampier ... :wink:

I love the DCCs.  They're damned fun to play.  Those guys have got it down.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:20 pm 

Hmmm, I'll have to check out the DCCs then.  I've heard good things, but haven't picked any up---the modules just didn't look that interesting.  

I recommend Necromancer Games' early 3.0 products, if you're looking for good 1e feel stuff, in particular Wizard's Amulet/Crucible of Freya, Demons & Devils, Tomb of Abysthor, The Vault of Larin Karr, Chaos Rising, and Rob Kuntz's Maze of Zayene series (1-3 by NG, part 4 by Different Worlds).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:47 pm 

grodog wrote:Hmmm, I'll have to check out the DCCs then. I've heard good things, but haven't picked any up---the modules just didn't look that interesting.

I recommend Necromancer Games' early 3.0 products, if you're looking for good 1e feel stuff, in particular Wizard's Amulet/Crucible of Freya, Demons & Devils, Tomb of Abysthor, The Vault of Larin Karr, Chaos Rising, and Rob Kuntz's Maze of Zayene series (1-3 by NG, part 4 by Different Worlds).

Yep, Necromancer's stuff is good too.  Nice gritty feel to it.  A little on the dark side, but that can be a whole hell of a lot of fun, depending on what you're in the mood for.  Abysthor is awesome.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:57 pm 

I know I'm a bit late responding to this, but Erol Otus's work has really grown on me as I've gotten older.  When I was a young 12 year old first getting into the game, he was probably my least favorite of the 1st edition artist-regulars.

Now, however, I think he's probably right at the top of the list (just below Bill Willingham, who is a friend of mine and this skewing the curve)

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:47 pm 

*bump*

For all you completionists, Jeff Dee has also been commissioned for the cover of DCC #24:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:19 pm 

nice cover....but d20!!!! *shudders*

:D

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:11 am 

Here is another great new image that turned up on Jeff's site. I presume he has done this for another product. The last I had heard he said there was no way he would do any more fantasy art and I thought this was just a few months ago.

Hats off to Goodman. He can pull them into the fold.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:17 am 

I love Goodman just for the covers.  The deliberate homage to the Golden Age of first edition is enough to make me like them.  I just got my first Goodman products and I intend to collect more.  Lots of fun.   :lol:

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:23 am 

Sorry bout repeating that image from the linky at the head of the thread. It got lost behind the other link page on my browser.  :oops:

Remember the good old days, when adventures were underground, NPCs were there to be killed, and the finale of every dungeon was the dragon on the 20th level? Those days are back.

:lol: Cracks me up everytime I read that.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:05 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:Here is another great new image that turned up on Jeff's site. I presume he has done this for another product.

It's the cover from DCC#19 The Volcano Caves:

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/d20/dcc19.htm

Goodman Games rocks!  Even if you hate d20 stuff, every fan of 1e/2e should consider picking these up.  The interior illustrations also have a great old school feel.  And the maps are printed inside the cover... in blue ink!!  Good stuff!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:59 pm 

I picked up the recent GenCon05 Dungeon crawl and was kinda freaked out by all of the real photographs of people in renaissance garb posing as adventurers.  :lol: I hope the rest of the stuff isn't like that.

Goodman's forums has lots of little tidbits about interaction with the old school artists and such.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:13 pm 

Adam Shultz wrote:I picked up the recent GenCon05 Dungeon crawl and was kinda freaked out by all of the real photographs of people in renaissance garb posing as adventurers. :lol: I hope the rest of the stuff isn't like that.

Goodman's forums has lots of little tidbits about interaction with the old school artists and such.

I am glad that I was not the only one that was bothered by that. Quite creepy if you ask me. I love the game, just not really into LARP. :o

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:47 am 

Yes, I definitely got that 'Get your peanut butter out of my chocolate' feeling seeing the LARP stuff in the D&D dungeon crawl.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:14 pm 

Has anyone played any of the Dungeon Crawl Classics? Do they have the 1E AD&D feel to them? Do they adapt easily or can they only really be played 3E?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:14 am 

Make it eight for Erol:

404 Not Found

DCC #25, due in January.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:08 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Has anyone played any of the Dungeon Crawl Classics? Do they have the 1E AD&D feel to them? Do they adapt easily or can they only really be played 3E?

I adapted DCC#3 The Mysterious Tower (Great Otus cover!!!) to second edition gaming very easily.  All of the monsters in this crawl are from standard D&D gaming (owlbears, rust monsters, Giant Beetles, Quasit), it's been my experience that most of the DCC don't deviate too far from the standard monster varieties.  The adventure is pretty straightforward like most of the DCC, concerns exploring abandoned wizard's tower with an force field around it that can be brought down to get to the goodies inside.  It played great, I ran it for a party of younger players who hadn't played much D&D.  The only other old timer there, one of the kids dads, was an old gamer from my group in the 80's, and he actually thought it was a classic 1st edition module that had been updated!  So I guess it passed the test. I also adapted Aerie of the Crow God (think that's what it's called) but haven't gamed it yet, I don't have it in front of me so I don't remember much about it.  I've read through almost all of them and don't think I've come across a bum one yet. Highly recommended!

Mike B.

Next