The value of shrinkwrap?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:23 pm 

Just a quick question as it pertains to shrinkwrap.

Is a module worth more MISW or not?

(I ask because I have the Limited Edition Camarilla and Sabbat Guides from White Wolf.. the shrinkwrap was removed (but the books unread)... I'm debating whether or not I should replace them with a shrinkwrapped set.. - And yes, I have _all_ the LEs from the Revised runs)

Chris

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:06 am 

I would not bother.  Was the value of the item intrinsic?  That is, did you buy it for yourself?

Only worry about shrinkwrap if you absolutely must resell it.  

My opinion, anyway.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:49 am 

If they are mint buy a heat gun and some shrink wrap and presto,  it mint in shrink :wink:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:01 pm 

Once out of the shrink, it should stay out.

Anyway, ethically, you would have to identify the fact that you reshrinked it, at the very least.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:33 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Once out of the shrink, it should stay out.

Anyway, ethically, you would have to identify the fact that you reshrinked it, at the very least.

I agree but putting your stuff back into shrink helps to keep the stuff mint.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:37 pm 

At least immediately put it into a storage bag of some sort.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:07 pm 

Personally I hate shrink wrap, but I'm a reader/admirer of the material as well as a seller of rpgs so when I get something really cool but shrinkwrapped, my 2 inner demons collide each wanting to have their way with the poor little game book.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:51 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:Personally I hate shrink wrap, but I'm a reader/admirer of the material as well as a seller of rpgs so when I get something really cool but shrinkwrapped, my 2 inner demons collide each wanting to have their way with the poor little game book.

Glad I'm not the only one.  I can't stand SW.  Except for resale, that is.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:36 pm 

I no longer buy rpg stuff for investment, so I prefer them to be unshrinked.

Moreso if they are in boxed sets because I fear that they were re-shrinked and components would be missing or damaged.

The party awakens in a place where there is no light and no sounds but their own. Characters with infravision can ascertain that all party members are presented. The place they are in looks and feels like a natural cave, about 30 feet in diameter.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:32 pm 

You know I have seen stuff that has been obviously re-shrunk and still goes for more money.  Shrink has to be valuable :?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:52 am 

Like the above, I don't like shrink that much because you can't read the stuff. I do buy it from time to time - and what I have found is that books that have been stored in shrink for years still get damaged. For example:

- The staples certainly rust - possibly (and I am speculating here) more quickly than in books stored open because the plastic wrap encourages condensation if there are temperature changes (i.e. the shelves of a games shop going from warm during the day to cool at night and back again).

- Mould can grow inside shrink - especially in shrinkwrapped box sets.

- Spines can still be creased.

- Corners can still be bent and bashed.

- Shrinkwrap can bend and warp books - it seems to tighten over time (or maybe it was often done too tight at the start).

It is *really* disappointing to buy a module which is described as mint and new (because it is in the original shrinkwrap) only to discover when it arrives that the spine is creased, the staples seriously rusty and the corners bent. Once I opened a shrinkwrapped box set and there were great patches of mould over the inside. So now I like to check stuff when it arrives to see if it genuinely is mint etc...

Two asides here:

1.  it does seem to me that there is lees and less genuinely mint/near mint stuff out there. I had hoped that as more people got onto ebay that quality as well as quantity would improve, but now I am not so sure.

2.  reading the above -- makes me sound really obsessive -- and not a little sad 8O honestly, in real life I am in large part a complete slacker/ lazy slob :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:49 am 

Hi my name is Brian and I am a shrinkwrap AD&D/D&D item collector. :oops: :wink:

Anyway, just to buck the trend a bit in the ongoing discussion, but I absolutely prefer the item to be unopened. On most post 1990 items this is not the case, but older items are almost imposible to be reshrinked without someone familiar with them knowing because of the way that they were packaged back then. This is becasue of both they way they were packaged and the shrinkwrap itself. Newer items have that rubbery style shrink where older items have a stiffer, crispier, crinklier type of shrink. Also, newer items are completely in most circumstances airtight sealed, where with older items the folds are not truely fused, they are glued. Granted being in its original shrink does not guarantee that an item will be perfect because as stated above damage can occur to the item anway, but still thee is nothing quite like the smell of a newly opened module that has been properly taken care of. :twisted: :o Now, I would NOT recomend opening all of your shrinked items, but every once in awhile is okay. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:29 am 

I hope that in time to come, when I am rich and fabulously famous, the press don't find out that I posted about the relative merits of shrinkwrapped (or not) role-playing games on a public website. Hard to imagine what could be more embarassing...

hmmm, maybe being caught naked amongst a flock of sheep (i would imagine) :oops:

baaa-aaaa!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:59 pm 

I like the fun of opening the package and getting at the contents without the guilt that I have just lessened the value of a piece of roleplaying history.  I prefer to get items that are complete and in good condition, but not necessarily shrinkwrapped.   8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:29 pm 

At the GenCon auction, at least, we can spot true vintage TSR bubbly/ragged shrink (with the airhole) and call it when items are reshrink'd.

Anywhere else, YMMV.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:55 pm 

ExTSR wrote:At the GenCon auction, at least, we can spot true vintage TSR bubbly/ragged shrink (with the airhole) and call it when items are reshrink'd.

Anywhere else, YMMV.

The lack of airhole is usually the biggest giveaway that I've seen for spotting reshrinked stuff. And newer SW just doesn't have the same look or feel to it that the old stuff does.

I'm not a fan of getting SW myself. Too much worry about it tearing, and I'd rather be able to read the book :)

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:10 am 

I am super anal about condition of items.  So I have in the past bought and opened shrinkwrapped modules, just so I could have a NM version of a module.

Nowadays I'd just buy an opened one that's in NM shape.

I look at some of what I had shrinked and think I shouldn't have done that.

:?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:51 am 

I usually go for items that are open.  I'll pick up something in shrink because I can afford it as an extra or need that piece for the collection.

Next