Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:31 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

and still 2 days to go... 8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:19 pm 

Those were rare however, and when I used to hang at Yog-Sothoth - YSDC Front Page there were serious collectors w/ serious $$$

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:45 pm 

What you mean you don't hang out there any more?! :o

The following forum topic may be of interest in light of this auction:

MU Library edition on eBay

Paul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:11 pm 

PaulofCthulhu wrote:What you mean you don't hang out there any more?! :o

Paul

Because I have limited time and $$$ and D&D and Cthulhu, and D&D has been winning lately. plus, I keep getting network errors whenever I try to bring up the Yog site from here at work. :(

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:26 pm 

PaulofCthulhu wrote:What you mean you don't hang out there any more?! :o

Paul

Hey there Paul.  Thought since it was (thus far) the top price that I know of for any Cthulhu rule-set it would also be worth posting here.  Oh and of course, also worth promoting a top Cthulhu site. :D  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:53 pm 

looks like a shill to me...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:12 pm 

red_bus wrote:Hey there Paul. Thought since it was (thus far) the top price that I know of for any Cthulhu rule-set it would also be worth posting here. Oh and of course, also worth promoting a top Cthulhu site. :D :D

*nods*. Is a good site. Haven't been by there recently and certainly time to post anywhere is always rather limited. :? :(

aside: That current $455 price is still somewhat below the snipe I had in for this HPL (non-RPG) goodie; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 4536804262
(Wishful thinking and unfortunately it's now looking like very serious bidding... One day, though! ;))

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:55 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:plus, I keep getting network errors whenever I try to bring up the Yog site from here at work. :(

Ahhh, if you haven't already, you can always try: http://www.cthulhufan.com/ (again with/without the www. prefix) - or else try accessing through a proxy.

And thanks to everyone for their kind comments. Always appreciated. More Cthulhu PDF freebies planned for the near future. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:19 pm 

Sorry PoC, seems there's a problem at my work end.  I can access from home, but not work. Funny, site's not BANNED like Fark or others. :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:33 pm 

Red_bus wrote:

Record Call of Cthulhu Rules price.

Speaking about a record Call of Cathlhu price. We were the winners of the Marsh manuscript of "American Gothic" the pre-Call of Cthulhu RPG manuscript.
CoC collecting Ebayer's contacted me shortly after the auction saying the CoC boards were on fire over this thing. Red_Bus contacted me as well, and I remember saying something like "I think the CoC collecting scene was a day late on this one" as for an Ebay-mail offer of $1,000 was sent to me. We only paid $175 or something like that for it. Now an offer of  more than 5X the price only paid the day before 8O ? Talk about a spike in the market 8O !

MrFilthyIke wrote:

Those were rare however, and when I used to hang at Yog-Sothoth - YSDC Front Page there were serious collectors w/ serious $$$

I politely returned the e-mail with "I'll give it some serious thought with that generous offer".

I mistakenly gave my own personal e-mail as we were seriously considering the possibilities. The decision was made to keep it; I mean how cool can you get "The Original CoC RPG Manuscript". It's like the original D&D manuscript of the CoC RPG world, and we didn't pay much. We don't have a huge CoC RPG collection, but I guess if you're going to have anything this would be it.

Not much time passed after I e-mail and declined the $1,000 offer as a return e-mail offer of $1,500 was returned 8O! Wow, what do we have here, and what is this market? Or, possessed by Cthulhu collector? So I read the now $250 a page manuscript :lol: jk. Pretty cool, mostly rules, total D&D influence.

So again the decision was made to keep it. It has value obviously, it not going anywhere, and we could always sell it or better yet trade it for a rare.

Well this is when things got crazy! Do you guys have some secret-circle of Billy Gates CoC collectors? That above mentioned Ebay'er leaked my personal e-mail to either again this secret brotherhood of cash or the entire CoC scene, and these "BIG GUNS" came forward. I'm not going to exactly quote what the highest standing offer is on the table, but I will say it's staggering. More than what the entire Marsh auctions went for combined 8O . I'm honestly sitting here writing this feeling bad. If this thing was advertised on a CoC board before the auction ended, Stephen could have more than doubled the profits. Or maybe this is just some kind of post auction scramble. I just don't know what to say :? . I guess I should be happy, but the taste is bittersweet.

If we do sell our now most valuable RPG collectable, I will post the sale price provided it's cleared with the buyer.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:44 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Speaking about a record Call of Cathlhu price. We were the winners of the Marsh manuscript of "American Gothic" the pre-Call of Cthulhu RPG manuscript.

aside, Mike; I presume they mentioned that that was the ruleset Sandy Petersen used, himself?
(extract from Different Worlds; Sorry, we couldn't find what you're looking for... )
I didn't spot the connection until a bit later, and then again in the context of Steve's comment re. their joint 1976 character class list, etc.

Have already made my thoughts and observations about the research, etc., for Steve's auctions well known, regardless of whether he's happy enough himself...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:05 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
invincibleoverlord wrote:Speaking about a record Call of Cathlhu price. We were the winners of the Marsh manuscript of "American Gothic" the pre-Call of Cthulhu RPG manuscript.

aside, Mike; I presume they mentioned that that was the ruleset Sandy Petersen used, himself?
(extract from Different Worlds; Sorry, we couldn't find what you're looking for... )
I didn't spot the connection until a bit later, and then again in the context of Steve's comment re. their joint 1976 character class list, etc.

Have already made my thoughts/observations about the research, etc., for Steve's auctions well known, regardless of whether he's happy enough himself...

Hey, I'm happy.  In shock, but happy.  I think the guys offering more are off their nut and I'm pleased with what I was paid.

Just sad I didn't keep my copy of the playtest rules that Sandy had before he submitted the final manuscript to Chaosium.

Speaking of which.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:DS:US:6

What do I owe that guy to make up for what I feel is taking advantage of him?

Regards,

Stephen

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:06 pm 

Ethesis wrote:Hey, I'm happy. In shock, but happy. I think the guys offering more are off their nut

We are talking CoC & SAN checks, no? ;)

Ethesis wrote:Just sad I didn't keep my copy of the playtest rules that Sandy had before he submitted the final manuscript to Chaosium.

Ahh.... :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:12 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Red_bus wrote:

Well this is when things got crazy! Do you guys have some secret-circle of Billy Gates CoC collectors? That above mentioned Ebay'er leaked my personal e-mail to either again this secret brotherhood of cash or the entire CoC scene, and these "BIG GUNS" came forward. I'm not going to exactly quote what the highest standing offer is on the table, but I will say it's staggering. More than what the entire Marsh auctions went for combined 8O . I'm honestly sitting here writing this feeling bad. If this thing was advertised on a CoC board before the auction ended, Stephen could have more than doubled the profits. Or maybe this is just some kind of post auction scramble. I just don't know what to say :? . I guess I should be happy, but the taste is bittersweet.

Hey, if you feel guilty, send me fifty cents and I'll call it even.

What is interesting, is Mistworld, which has the magic system that inspired the Dreamworld spells (that, and Jack Vance), got so little interest, other than to get me a copy back (so that there is the copy that sold and the copy I have and am not selling).  I was much more impressed with that.

Also, visit  https://www.poserproducts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=38 and look at some of the creatures there.  You might enjoy them.

Regards,

Stephen

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:15 pm 

Out of interest, Steve, were you in touch with Sandy throughout?

I noticed that he wasn't (listed as) a player in your Cupric Text PBM, despite having sent in those earlier materials (Vampire character class, etc.) in to Gary Gygax back in 1975/6.

=

(Hey, ho! How all this fits together is still eluding me like one of Sandy's characters fleeing from umber hulks with a one billion gp gem. But that's another story, no? :D)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:20 pm 

I have to come clean.  Those were in the "misc. papers" part of the stuff I sent Paul that I didn't remember what was in there.  Given I'd suggested he go through them and throw out anything that didn't fit in the planes of reality, I'd day they came within inches of the trash can.  I'm glad Paul found someone who is getting some value out of them.

Now I've got to wonder what else he's got (he still had some unsorted stuff he was going to get organized and sell).

I'm frankly amazed and it made my wife laugh when I told her.

If you could tell whoever is trying to poach on you that Paul may have some stuff, I'll hit Sandy up for whatever notes I can get from him.  All we did at his house the other night was watch some WoW videos (made by friends of his son) and do practice cutting with swords (to demonstrate how swords feel, actual sabers, rapiers, war swords, viking era migration style swords, etc.).

And to think I should have been pawing through the unorganized notes behind the back shelf ....

But seriously, do have the collectors contact Paul.  Who knows what else he has.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:28 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Out of interest, Steve, were you in touch with Sandy throughout?

I noticed that he wasn't (listed as) a player in your Cupric Text PBM, despite having sent in those earlier materials (Vampire character class, etc.) in to Gary Gygax back in 1975/6.

=

(Hey, ho! How all this fits together is still eluding me like one of Sandy's characters fleeing from umber hulks with a one billion gp gem. But that's another story, no? :D)

Sandy and I have corresponded and been friends since abou 1974 or so.  Busy some times or distracted ... but he is great and his wife and kids are the best.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:35 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Ethesis wrote:Hey, I'm happy. In shock, but happy. I think the guys offering more are off their nut

We are talking CoC & SAN checks, no? ;)

Ethesis wrote:Just sad I didn't keep my copy of the playtest rules that Sandy had before he submitted the final manuscript to Chaosium.

Ahh.... :?

Very true.  Guess some people fail san and spend ;)

Regards,

Stephen

Next