The highest level of all : the Fantasy Wargaming story
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:03 am 

Hello,
I advised folks here might be interested in my new book, "The highest level of all : the Fantasy Wargaming story." More than a decade ago I started investigating the origins of the (in)famous book "Fantasy Wargaming," by Bruce Galloway et al. I ended up contacting a few of the folks involved (the one surviving co-author and several people mentioned in the acknowledgments), and then doing an extensive literature review to find all the mentions, reviews, and discussions of the game that I could. Part of this is documented in my series of blog posts over at Swords and Dorkery on Wordpress, but in the past few years a lot more has turned up...enough that the blog posts have become a full length book with five appendices. Then I got permission from the illustrator to use some of his art, and a graphic designer/illustrator gave the book a modern layout and tons of illustrations. The appendices include facsimiles of letters and even a sample chapter written for a proposed sequel, which would have covered the ancient world to the fall of Rome. We went with an academic press who will soon make a free open access PDF available for download from their site (ETC Press, an imprint of Carnegie-Mellon University) as well as offering the print book for sale; it is currently also available in print from Amazon and Lulu.com (which handles printing and distribution for ETC). Eventually a mostly-text e-book version will also be available for sale. ETC expected to have the free PDF up on Friday, so fingers crossed it will be available soon.

ETC Press announcement: press.etc.cmu.edu/news/new-release-high ... -level-all
Lulu.com listing: lulu.com/shop/michael-monaco-and-heathe ... pageSize=4
Amazon listing: amazon.com/Highest-Level-All-Fantasy-Wa ... 1387411004/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:02 pm 

Thanks for posting, I’m interested in this!

I’ll keep an eye for the e-book, looking forward :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:53 pm 

The mix of positive & negative aspects to this work keep it interesting. Part of the latter may have been due to the clash of small press/big press corporate cultures, a topic which has flared up again in recent days. The movie Super 8 summed it up pretty well: sometimes, train wrecks are fun to watch.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:06 am 

Congratulations!

I am certainly interested in your book.

Fantasy wargaming has always fascinated me and i have always regarded it as an underrated game.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:25 pm 

vault keeper wrote in The highest level of all : the Fantasy Wargaming story:an underrated game.

Have you looked at the rules closely enough to judge their practical functionality? I have not, since the disorganized rambling of the prose does not bode well for playability. Or maybe I'm wrong?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:26 pm 

I remember Fantasy Wargaming well; it was one of the only non-TSR books they had in the RPG section at Waldenbooks in our local mall, and I remember looking through it. I'm not sure I've ever seen a copy in person again since those days. I look forward to reading your history of it.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:25 pm 

It's finally up. Details here Fantasy Wargaming news…it’s kind of a big deal | Swords & Dorkery

along with a link to the *free, full pdf* download and purchase options.

Thanks!

Last edited by swordsanddorkery on Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:24 am 

You have likely missed to add the link...
Ciaooo

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:25 am 

Corrected, thank you