Wilmark Dynasty Estate Acquisition
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:12 pm 

Zenonmarfat wrote in Wilmark Dynasty Estate Acquisition:I'm still waiting on a response from Micaela but I hope to have a response shortly!

Thanks, Richard.  I appreciate you digging into Micaela's and Lee's memories on this one.

mbassoc2003 wrote in Wilmark Dynasty Estate Acquisition:Ooh. Do post a piccie if you can. There was a loose leaf character sheet with the 1st printing Melanda, but any Melanda supplement or a character sheet pack are products I’m not aware of. So any info would be most welcomed.

Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Melanda, Land of Mystery; Character Sheets (c1980) has a pic, Ian, and Bill's description of the sheets matches what I have too. My copy (from NK) didn't include the original ziplock.

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:59 am 

Mars wrote in Wilmark Dynasty Estate Acquisition:
In terms of number of copies to move, 100 is a lot and if you are fixing the price at a higher point, this could easily take many years.  A comparable that comes to mind is the John Clegg items that were sold at NTRPG.  Prior to the convention, these items were very rare, and would typically sell for a couple hundred each - a set of the 3 books would have been in the $400-$500 range.  NTRPG ended up getting 100 sets from the author and was selling them for $30.  They didn't sell out at the con and had copies for sale for months later - posted on the forum, Mike has a comment that says there were about 40 distinct buyers.  With the Wilmark items having been more accessible in the past and having a higher price point, its very possible you will still have copies 10 years from now.  You get a good bump of sales now that they are back in the focus, this then turns into some kind of stable state of selling X copies a year or stopping sales and reigniting later, etc.

Thanks Mark, I was just going to post about this. It's a GREAT example. Prices at the time for Valla stuff was through the roof. We crashed the market for awhile, because A. We paid a low price for the stuff; B. We wanted to get the items out there into collector's hands, and C. We didn't want to be stuck with the stuff for years and years. To this day (decade later?) we still have a very few copies of Valla, Notnaidag Robber, and the map (although now we auction them at the con and generally get $200 or more each for them).

The amount you are sitting on, coupled with the niche value of these, at those prices you'll be sitting on them forever. You'll have an initial surge of collector's wanting to pick them up, then interest will trickle off, and you'll have an occasional sale after that from latecomers, but at those prices you'lll be stuck with the bulk of that collection for a decade or more. My advice would be to slash prices in half (at least), then slowly raise them as your stock levels get lower. But this is just a suggestion, you should do as you want. As Dbartman said in his well crafted reply, rare does not mean valuable, and in this case, the product is just too obscure to attract mainstream buyers in the amounts you'd need to sell at your prices. Good Luck!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:17 pm 

Also please understand that no one here is giving you bad advice, sour grapes, or digs at your character...everything that Mars, Dbartman, Stratochamp, Deadlord, and Mbassoc has said is absolutely on the money and comes from DECADES of experience collecting, way before even ebay was a thing. Personally, I picked up all my Wilmark Dynasty items from Usenet back in the late 90s, bought from the store set up online by those guys. Everything they have said is so on the money I have little to add.

This is a niche hobby when it comes to small press items like Wilmark Dynasty and others....because interest is limited, the items must have a cachet to get large prices (items like that include Wee Warriors, The Companions, Midkemia, etc). Sometimes the rarer items go for quite a bit (A copy of the rare digest rule set EA went for $3300 last year on the NTRPG con auction page, a rare example of an early rules set with only a handful of copies available). Sometimes they go for less than we think they should. But as Mbassoc said, what items sell for is what they are worth, despite what we hope. Good Luck with those, they are in interesting chapter of RPG history.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:44 pm 

Thanks Mike for your comments.

I suppose that I got a little "passionate" in my posts on these items. When it's an item you believe has worth and desirability, you believe that most others would see things similarly. As you said though, maybe this is too niche for the majority of collectors out there.

I have been pleased with my sales so far. Maybe that is just the initial reaction to them being on the market and sales will diminish thereafter as you (and others) have alluded to. I certainly hope you are wrong on that, but it's a valid possibility that I don't discount.

In any case, I am in no rush to dispose of them. I am near to recovering what I paid to acquire the collection already, so any sales beyond this is simply a bonus. I have no problem retaining them as a prize component of my collection. Maybe my collecting focus is items that no one cares for, but that's me, and I am content with that  :D

All the best,

Richard

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:53 pm 

Zenonmarfat wrote in Wilmark Dynasty Estate Acquisition:Maybe my collecting focus is items that no one cares for, but that's me, and I am content with that  :D

I believe that is the definition of the small press collector.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:57 am 

Actually this is a great thread. A superb find and lots of interesting discussion on the Wilmark Dynasty Items. I have always loved small press items, but have not been too successful in my collecting. Many are so hard to find, and you have to be attentive to secure them. Work owns me the last few years and I usually miss items. I'd love to get this set and will send a PM in due course. I'll be agonizing over the shrink though as I love to read the books!!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:15 am 

At a cheaper price, I'd be tempted to buy a set and digitise them.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Previous