My game is live now: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:27 am 

Howdy fellows, it is a great pleasure to present the RPG I have just completed in its core rules: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG.

This is a project which took me ages to have its first phase done (at least!). I must say thanks to mr Covid19 who gave me a lot of time to dedicate on it... (sad to say, but during the lockdown I decided to focus on a project in order not to lose the overall direction...)

Well, the rules are now in a playtest version and, along with them I have made up some supplements to support the playtest. Every product is listed here: 6810kuprpg.blogspot.com/p/viviiix-kup-r ... ducts.html

Being a playtest and, moreover, having a target quite far from harvesting revenues and glory, I priced my stuff at a very 'popular' level (the core rules are a 216-page hardback at 15 euro!). In addition, all the digital versions of the supplements are PWYW (i.e. you can grab them at zero!).

My first thought in order to introduce my game goes to the KUP acronym: this is one of the core parts of my overall target. This acronym has a meaning deeper than the words it represent and I tried to explain this in these two posts here:
6810kuprpg.blogspot.com/2022/03/the-con ... art-1.html
6810kuprpg.blogspot.com/2022/03/the-con ... art-2.html

I really hope you might be interested in my project! In case I am here or at https://6810kuprpg.blogspot.com/, happy to reply to any question!

As a last thought, I don't want to sound pretentious but I am happy to think that this game is my special Xmas present to all the RPGers who love these games and are always looking for new experiences!

Thanks a lot to all of you (in particular Carl, Ian and Scott)

PS for Carl and Ian: be patient, your complimentary "special edition" will be ready in the next days...  :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:17 pm 

Congratulations, Axel!  I'll take a look at the blog and books over the weekend :D

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:39 pm 

Thanks a lot Allan! For any question, i am here!
Ciaooo

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:33 am 

This is really cool, Axel! I read through your blog posts and have to say the concept is really appealing and sounds like a lot of fun. Just purchased the core rulebook and can't wait to read it.  8)

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:29 am 

bombadil wrote in My game is live now: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!:This is really cool, Axel! I read through your blog posts and have to say the concept is really appealing and sounds like a lot of fun. Just purchased the core rulebook and can't wait to read it.  8)

Hello Stephen, thanks a lot! I really hope your expectations will be met by the game!
...this is the first step only... the project is wider... it will likely take years... but i am here and have no hurry! (I'd like to have more time however...)
Ciaooo

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:32 am 

Hello, this update to let you know that, along with the 'super-blurb' written by a very friendly fellow (who is a pro btw!), I changed the pricing for the main books.

Now the printed books are priced nearly at cost (there are round-ups to the single unit) and the digital version of the core rules is PWYW.

Therefore I invite you to take the digital version to see more in detail the game!

Thanks in advance and ciaoo

PRINTED EDITION: VI∙VIII∙X KUP RPG Core Rules ~ Print Playtest Edition - Knight of the Lake Games | DriveThruRPG.com

DIGITAL EDITION: VI∙VIII∙X KUP RPG Core Rules ~ Digital Playtest Edition - Knight of the Lake Games | DriveThruRPG.com
​​​​​

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:25 pm 

i am looking forward to reading this, my congrats!! :D

Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:05 pm 

Congratulations on this project aia! I can only imagine the amount of hours you sunk into this and the amount of hours to come...yikes! Sounds like you're own Cisteen chapel ceiling project (see if you can beat Michelangelo's 4 year timeframe!)  :D

The title definitely has me intrigued. I just purchased hardbound copies of all 5 products and am eagerly awaiting their delivery.

I hope it's a great success for you!

Cheers,

Richard

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:52 am 

vault keeper wrote in My game is live now: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!:i am looking forward to reading this, my congrats!! :D

Hi VK, thanks a lot! ...i look forward to hearing from you when the playtest starts! (Soon indeed!)

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:14 am 

Zenonmarfat wrote in My game is live now: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!:Congratulations on this project aia! I can only imagine the amount of hours you sunk into this and the amount of hours to come...yikes! Sounds like you're own Cisteen chapel ceiling project (see if you can beat Michelangelo's 4 year timeframe!)  :D

The title definitely has me intrigued. I just purchased hardbound copies of all 5 products and am eagerly awaiting their delivery.

I hope it's a great success for you!

Cheers,

Richard

Hello Richard, thanks a lot! I actually am well aware it will not be a success: i wrote this game in order to leave a message (and its relative roleplaying style)... this is nearly sure it won't help sales! I didn't write these rules to please 5E gamers, I wrote them (and these are only the beginning) to let them know that 5E or any other 'modern' rpg push them into a direction i would not undertake...

But i am falling again in the same error... i should not write such things here, apologies!
If you're interested in my view, i am happy to invite you here:
https://6810kuprpg.blogspot.com/2022/07 ... oject.html

Thanks a lot in any case for your purchase! I look forward to hearing from you any comment/opinion, be it positive or not! Should you then decide to join the playtest, pls let me know!

As a lateral thinking for our community: i should actually expect from you wishes for the complete failure of the project... this would grant an extremely low number of copies of the game sold and in the next future a high collectability of this title... :?
(Needless to say, i am joking! ...but at the same time i am a bit scared by this...)

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:58 am 

Hya, some more info about VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!

Firstly after some overall info and the 'deep dives', I am pleased to introduce a post where I try to explain the main reasons leading me to write this game:
6810kuprpg.blogspot.com/2022/07/purpose ... oject.html

Then, I defined how to manage the playtest, here below the post about this topic:
6810kuprpg.blogspot.com/2022/12/set-up- ... ytest.html

There is not really a 'starting date' for the playtest, for the sake of simplicity, I will assume Jan 1st 2023 as the launch.

As usual, any comment or clarification (here or directly on the blog) is more than welcome!

I will keep you updated!

Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:53 am 

aia wrote in My game is live now: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!:
Hello Richard, thanks a lot! I actually am well aware it will not be a success: i wrote this game in order to leave a message (and its relative roleplaying style)... this is nearly sure it won't help sales! I didn't write these rules to please 5E gamers, I wrote them (and these are only the beginning) to let them know that 5E or any other 'modern' rpg push them into a direction i would not undertake...

But i am falling again in the same error... i should not write such things here, apologies!
If you're interested in my view, i am happy to invite you here:
https://6810kuprpg.blogspot.com/2022/07 ... oject.html

Thanks a lot in any case for your purchase! I look forward to hearing from you any comment/opinion, be it positive or not! Should you then decide to join the playtest, pls let me know!

As a lateral thinking for our community: i should actually expect from you wishes for the complete failure of the project... this would grant an extremely low number of copies of the game sold and in the next future a high collectability of this title... :?
(Needless to say, i am joking! ...but at the same time i am a bit scared by this...)

Now I am really intrigued, I'll check out your blog after work!

Apparently, rarity of items has a negligible value in the collecting community is what I've learned. So you should have no worries about that!  :P

- Richard

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:27 pm 

Nice job! I created a similar system, where damage is debilitating (for both sides) and stats/HP/etc. are handled by the DM. It's a lot of work for the DM but I have found the players enjoy it much more. If they feel "weak", they can't say "Well, I have 13 HP left and the orc can only do 8 max without a crit, so I can handle one more sword strike. I'll keep fighting".
One of the things I do is roll an associated hidden dice with theirs, and add the two. So rolling a 19 on a save vs. poison does not necessarily mean you saved. It has turned out to be more realistic, and in the case of poison is much more suspenseful. Instead of the player dismissing the thought of being poisoned due to a high roll, they spend time after carefully monitoring themselves for detrimental effects. One player is so terrified of poison and disease that he insists a cleric cure him no matter what the symptoms. I actually came up with the idea playing paperless D&D with the kid in the car. I would pick a number and he'd pick one, then we add. Naturally, since it is his first outing, my number was somewhat ...... fluid. :)
Freeform magic has been a little tougher. I've tried a few approaches, and the one that works best so far is to allow the wizard to dictate the effects of the spell, then compare it to the closest existing spell to determine cost and possible failure. I haven't seen your system but I'm sure it's good.
Best of luck, bro! Once I finish douching my collection I will buy your books. Writing and publishing an entire system is a daunting task, I'm glad you persevered and did it!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:29 pm 

Apparently, rarity of items has a negligible value in the collecting community is what I've learned.

Only if they are obscure small-press items of dubious quality. Methinks Axel's doesn't fall in that category.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:46 pm 

Deadlord wrote in My game is live now: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!:Nice job! I created a similar system, where damage is debilitating (for both sides) and stats/HP/etc. are handled by the DM.

That's how I handle damage in my homebrew system as well. The PCs choose how the damage affects them, so spellcasters will choose to lower attributes like strength, while fighters choose to lower intelligence. The PC evolves to gain weaknesses which counter strengths.

Keeping the stats hidden from players is the approach I believe Gygax preferred to take. I think that much of the clunkiness of 1e is intentional, so that players are encouraged to focus more on roleplaying than on exploiting the math.

The low price for a hardback could be promoted in terms of how it's a tiny fraction of Wilmark Dynasty publication prices. You could also point out that your system is an economical game for a group of players to adopt, because it is not likely to be subject to increases like the recent 300% inflation of Wilmark Dynasty publications.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:07 am 

Deadlord wrote in My game is live now: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!:Nice job! I created a similar system, where damage is debilitating (for both sides) and stats/HP/etc. are handled by the DM. It's a lot of work for the DM but I have found the players enjoy it much more. If they feel "weak", they can't say "Well, I have 13 HP left and the orc can only do 8 max without a crit, so I can handle one more sword strike. I'll keep fighting".

Hello Frank, thanks a lot! Happy to read that I am not the only one to think this way about HP and stats!

Deadlord wrote in My game is live now: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!:One of the things I do is roll an associated hidden dice with theirs, and add the two. So rolling a 19 on a save vs. poison does not necessarily mean you saved. It has turned out to be more realistic, and in the case of poison is much more suspenseful.

That's the point! The suspense is smtg we have lost along the editions of D&D! The later is the edition, the more obvious and expected is the outcome of any action a player decides to undertake! This is one of the main reasons that lead me to rethink game mechanics in favor of smtg 'not known' and therefore interesting! The way I designed it is similar to what you adopted: instead of 2 rolls, I use 2 stats: one known and the other unknown.

Deadlord wrote in My game is live now: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!:Freeform magic has been a little tougher. I've tried a few approaches, and the one that works best so far is to allow the wizard to dictate the effects of the spell, then compare it to the closest existing spell to determine cost and possible failure. I haven't seen your system but I'm sure it's good.

I hope so! I didn't want to go too far away from the D&D concepts therefore I defined a score from 1 up to 9 per each element of the spell: duration, area and target. The caster freely defines the spell and look up what is the related score for each element. According to the selection of the caster the elements sum up to a certain value: this is the 'cost of the spell'. If your stats (both known and unknown) are higher than the cost, it is sufficient a check to cast the spell. If your stats are lower than the cost of spell, then... oupsss... the spell can work (you have to pass a check) but a backfire is generated! Some more details here: https://6810kuprpg.blogspot.com/2022/03 ... sting.html

Deadlord wrote in My game is live now: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!:Best of luck, bro! Once I finish douching my collection I will buy your books. Writing and publishing an entire system is a daunting task, I'm glad you persevered and did it!

Thanks again and ciaooo

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:13 am 

sauromatian wrote in My game is live now: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!:
That's how I handle damage in my homebrew system as well. The PCs choose how the damage affects them, so spellcasters will choose to lower attributes like strength, while fighters choose to lower intelligence. The PC evolves to gain weaknesses which counter strengths.

Keeping the stats hidden from players is the approach I believe Gygax preferred to take. I think that much of the clunkiness of 1e is intentional, so that players are encouraged to focus more on roleplaying than on exploiting the math.

The low price for a hardback could be promoted in terms of how it's a tiny fraction of Wilmark Dynasty publication prices. You could also point out that your system is an economical game for a group of players to adopt, because it is not likely to be subject to increases like the recent 300% inflation of Wilmark Dynasty publications.

No offense intended, I would really appreciate it if we could avoid this topic here. Thanks a lot, ciaoo

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:44 am 

sauromatian wrote in My game is live now: VI·VIII·X KUP RPG!:Keeping the stats hidden from players is the approach I believe Gygax preferred to take. I think that much of the clunkiness of 1e is intentional, so that players are encouraged to focus more on roleplaying than on exploiting the math.

Just a clarification here: did you read anywhere that EGG was really looking for such an approach?

Next