Two zines: SEWARS & Dragon Claw
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:21 pm 

Hello,
I've got photocopies of articles from two zines, and I'd like to figure out which issue they appeared in in order to cite them properly.
One is a review of "Fantasy Wargaming" in S.E.W.A.R.S., a zine or newsletter of the South Essex Wargames and Roleplaying Society. It has "December 1981" written across the top (by the person who copied it, I assume) and is signed Mike Oliver & Chris Baylis. I don't see a page number on my copy. I would guess it was originally issued on full size (A4?) letter paper. It looks typed on a typewriter with a problem with the lowercase "a".
QUESTION: Is there anyone here who either has a full or partial run of this zine, or at least has some documentation of the numbering/release schedule?

The other is more tentatively identified as this is the only time I've seen the title mentioned, even after looking over a lot of lists of zines and so on. It has "Dragon Claw" written on the top of the copy, in the same hand as the other. There seems to be a large page number (3) on the upper right hand side of the page, which appears to be from a digest-sized sheet (A5). The review, again of Fantasy Wargaming, uses a bit of art clipped from a White Dwarf advert for the book, and is signed Stephen Turnbull. My questions would be:
QUESTION: Was there a zine titles "Dragon Claw"? (or could that be a regular column title in a better known zine?)
QUESTION: If Dragon Claw was a zine, what issue am I looking at? I assume something released in the winter of 1981 or spring of 1982, as the book was published in the fall of 81.

Thanks for any insights!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:31 pm 

There was a Wyrns Claw fanzine from the same period..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:33 pm 

So, what did they think of Fantasy Wargaming? Best RPG ever, right?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:03 am 

Again with the Fantasy Wargaming? Do you need someone to send you a copy? :-)

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:14 am 

I just need someone to explain it to me.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:05 am 

Man does not behold the face of the Gorgon and live. Some things are not meant to be explained.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:07 am 

I would be very interested in reading those two reviews, given that i hold in high esteem Fantasy Wargaming.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:04 am 

vault keeper wrote in Two zines: SEWARS & Dragon Claw:I would be very interested in reading those two reviews, given that i hold in high esteem Fantasy Wargaming.

I'd say it's one of the great objets d'art of RPG book publishing, along with the Starblazer Adventures rulebook (2008). The writing seems a little too disorganized to be playable.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:00 am 

One is a review of "Fantasy Wargaming" in S.E.W.A.R.S., a zine or newsletter of the South Essex Wargames and Roleplaying Society. It has "December 1981" written across the top (by the person who copied it, I assume) and is signed Mike Oliver & Chris Baylis. I don't see a page number on my copy. I would guess it was originally issued on full size (A4?) letter paper. It looks typed on a typewriter with a problem with the lowercase "a".
QUESTION: Is there anyone here who either has a full or partial run of this zine, or at least has some documentation of the numbering/release schedule?

This appears in Issue 6 of SEWARS (I have a copy of this).. its two pages ..25-26 (not numbered, I just counted them for you in case you wanted to know that)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:08 am 

Thank you! I forgot to check "Notify me of replies" so I'm just seeing this now. I will update my bibliography. Too late for the print version but I have not finalized the e-book yet.

beasterbrook wrote in Two zines: SEWARS & Dragon Claw:
This appears in Issue 6 of SEWARS (I have a copy of this).. its two pages ..25-26 (not numbered, I just counted them for you in case you wanted to know that)