Steve Perrin's North Coast campaign
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:22 pm 

I'm trying to find as much information as I can about Steve Perrin's North Coast campaign. He's mentioned it in an interview, where he said it had been played under at least five systems and I personally know that D&D and Runequest account for two of those systems. I don't know much else (yet). Any information you can provide would be much appreciated!

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:18 am 

A search yields this result: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/956-magic-world/
"Magic World could be a part of the Empire of Tzand included in Perrin's North Coast campaign and neighbouring Illyrion."

Both Magic World & RuneQuest are part of the Basic Roleplaying System, so I'm not sure if Magic World would have been considered a different system to Perrin when he made the remarks at:
Steve Perrin Interview
"My original dungeons do provide the framework for my North Coast campaign, which has been used for at least five different game systems."

If Perrin did consider Magic World a different system than RuneQuest, then were Future World & Superworld different systems too? Did either of these components to the Worlds of Wonder box include "North Coast" as a campaign setting, perhaps at different periods of its history? If so, that would add up to five systems.

Sorry I don't simply know the answer. I attempted to trade for a friend's copy of Worlds of Wonder once about 20 years ago, but he wanted to hang onto it. However, I could not resist the nerd/hipster intersectionality of the Superworld scenario "Bad Medicine for Dr. Drugs," so I will check my copy when I get a chance.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:12 am 

Thank you for that. Magic World could conceivably be one of the five systems, but I very much doubt that Future World and Superworld are. That said, I should have more information next week - I have a paste up manuscript and long form notes on the campaign coming to me.

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:07 pm 

Now that I have the manuscript and long form notes in hand, I can confirm that four of the five systems are OD&D, AD&D, Arduin, and Runequest.

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove