Tower of Elbrith and Thieve's Quarter
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:59 pm 

Can anyone help solve the mystery of who wrote Tower of Elbrith (Attack International Wargaming 1979)?

It has no author credited, and none is listed in Heroic Worlds. Ian at afterglow put the authors as "D.H. Casciano, M. Fisher and G. Mangene", but I don't think he had a copy (as there's no image), whereas Mars posted on the forum that it was by "Morrison (who did Thieves Quarter and Tower of Elbrith)". The back refers to both "we" and "I" so that's no help!

John M. Morrison did write Thieve's Quarter, which is also a solo adventure, and the stray apostrophe on the cover makes it look similar to Tower of Elbrith (which has some truly apaling speleng mistkaes).

The writing style of Tower of Elbrith is very distinctive, so if it is the same author that would no doubt be immediately evident comparing the two.

Tower of Elbrith refers to the INVASION system - an "improved fantasy system described in issues 1-2 of INVASION magazine" which is "the recommended system to use" - similar phrasing as Thieve's Quarter which says "It is recommended that Advanced Dungeons & Dragons be used with this adventure."

Perhaps the authorship could also be confirmed if anyone had any copies of INVASION magazine - but I cannot even find any mention of it anywhere else.

Joe

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:49 am 

Further to this... it turns out the copy of Tower of Elbrith I've obtained is missing two pages. Argh! One might have fallen out, but the other is just blank...

So, if you have a copy, could you look and see if pages "C" and "AA" are blank in your copy? (Pretty please)

(If they're blank or missing in all copies then the adventure was unplayable).

UPDATED: That was quick - I've already been sent photos of the two missing pages, so they were just missing in this copy.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:36 pm 

I have some photos of these posted on Tome of Treasures:

Tome of Treasures :: View topic - Thieve's Quarter (1980)

Looks like I never got around to posting Tower of Elbrith.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:28 pm 

Hi Mars - I was using Tome of Treasures as a resource for some of these obscure items, it's been very useful.
Is there anything you can share from "Thieve's Quarter" which would show if it's the same author as "Tower of Elbrith"?