Compiling a list of 1970s scenarios
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:19 pm 

JoeNuttall wrote in Compiling a list of 1970s scenarios:I've managed to find decent images for Fazzlewood and Rahasia and the maps from Spectre 2. So now the list is reduced now to a couple of fanzines and a fanzine spin-off:

Spectre #1 - The Temple of Manitoba
Spectre #2 - The House of Thievery - I've got an image of the map but not the key
Spectre #2 - The Appleland Groves Part 1 (The Dreaming Caverns) - I've got an image of the map but not the key

I'm hoping for Spectre from Grodog. Does anyone own a copy of either of the other two?

Pics sent this morning, Joe!

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:01 pm 

grodog wrote in Compiling a list of 1970s scenarios:Pics sent this morning, Joe!

Allan.

Thanks Allan, really appreciated. I'd never have expected The Appleland Groves to be a Beatles themed adventure, complete with Yellow Submarine, Blue Meanies, Lovely Rita - Meter Maid, and a horde of screaming fans...

I put up the first post for 1979 on Friday explorebeneathandbeyond.blogspot.com/20 ... rly-d.html so I'm nearing the end. Out of 200 items I now only have two that I'm missing:

The Apprentice #6 - The Volcanic Vaults of Vahrnok
Kandroc Keep by Brian Asbury

I did find two people who had Kandroc Keep, but one has mislaid it, the other gave it to a museum!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:58 pm 

In my latest post explorebeneathandbeyond.blogspot.com/20 ... -d_19.html I've put thanks to quite a number of people who've helped me with details for the 24 scenarios that were released in just July/August '79 - and quite a few of those thanks are to people who are on this forum. So I thought I'd repeat my thanks here - and for these two months that means thanks to Guy Fullerton, increment, grodog, VivaVilez, and mbassoc2003. There are as many more of you that have helped with other entries, and I should have/will have thanked you in the entry for that particular set of scenarios - apologies if I miss someone out by mistake!

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:03 pm 

I'm late to the party but I think I can assist with Apprentice #6.  Is that and Kandroc Keep (no help there) all you need?

Keep rollin' 20s, my friends....

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:56 pm 

What do you need?  Just a few photos?  I have both Kandroc Keep and Apprentice 6

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:46 pm 

AZMountaineer wrote in Compiling a list of 1970s scenarios:I'm late to the party but I think I can assist with Apprentice #6.  Is that and Kandroc Keep (no help there) all you need?

I've now got Kandroc Keep (and the author and I are to republish it!) but I've still got nothing for the adventure in The Apprentice #6 - that would be absolutely fantastic! A scan/photo of the map and a page of the key is what I need.

Mars wrote in Compiling a list of 1970s scenarios:What do you need?  Just a few photos?  I have both Kandroc Keep and Apprentice 6

And then this kind offer as well. Thanks Mars. I guess I only need something from one of you!

I thought those were the only two I had nothing for, but then it turns out two of the Wilmark Dynasty items were 1970s tournaments - The Burgundy Pit was used at Penn Con in 1978, Journey to the Center of the Circle for D-Con I in 1978. Unfortunately they're mostly in shrink so people can't send me photos, and I only found out about them the day after they jumped up tenfold in price!

While I'm about it there are a couple of rare adventures which I've got the map but only a fragment or nothing at all of the key:
- The original Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
- Notnaidag Robber Headquarters
- The Tomb of the Waning Moon (I've included unpublished tournament adventures since some were very influential and there aren't many still existing that people have shared)

I hope the series has proved useful to people, putting all these adventures into context with each other, and perhaps giving some people ideas of more items to collect. Also as a bonus I've ended up talking to some of the authors and been able to get their modules back available again as downloadable pdfs.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:10 pm 

I posted a couple of the 1st print Wilmark items on ebay - they aren't in shrink so there are some photos of the interior pages as well if you want to take a look/read.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:55 am 

Mars wrote in Compiling a list of 1970s scenarios:I posted a couple of the 1st print Wilmark items on ebay - they aren't in shrink so there are some photos of the interior pages as well if you want to take a look/read.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Thanks Mars - they must have gone up since I last looked. That gives the required info for The Burgandy Pit - great photos - so of the Wilmark Dynasty items I'm only now looking for Journey to the Center of the Circle

You've got Chivalry Lives up for sale but with no interior photos. Are there any mentions of tournaments in it? (to confirm it's out of scope)

The others are all out of scope. Lake of Parity says it is late '79 and was run at "some east coast tournaments", but no details to pin it down - but I don't think it counts if the tournament wasn't big enough to be named. Allan says he has the other two and confirms they're out of scope:
grodog wrote:Escape from Shadowland ("designed for play at the 1981 Gen Con East"), and The Vampyre's Mirror (no mentions of convention play at all).

(It's interesting to see the out-of-scope items anyway, especially as sometimes they add context)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:17 pm 

I know it's been a while, but here it is at last - the next republished original 1970s D&D scenario in my series republishing authentic D&D scenarios from the 1970s:

Original Scenarios Resurrected VII: Kandroc Keep (1979, Brian Asbury).
This is a solitaire adventure, originally published as a stand alone scenario for a party . It is for a party of 6 of second level, so works as a follow up for either P'teth Tower or The Solo Dungeon. This is one of the adventures which I previously had seen nothing of beyond its cover, so it's been great fun to see it, play it, and publish it.

Like the others in the series, this is a published D&D adventure from the 1970s, which has been unavailable for over 40 years! Print it out as a booklet, put on The Police, and drift back to 1979...

Hope you enjoy it - more to follow soon.

If you do enjoy it, and if you happen to have a copy of The Apprentice #6, I'll accept photos of the map and key of the adventure as thanks ;-)

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:33 pm 

Excellent - thanks!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:54 am 

The next installment in my series republishing 70s/early 80s D&D scenarios Original Scenarios Resurrected VIII: The Devil's Quagmire is now up. This is quite an extensive creepy wilderness scenario from the pages of The Beholder. It is for a party of 6-9 characters of levels 3-4, and recently had a great review over at Prince Of Nothing. It details a "series of islands of solid ground in the heavily-overgrown swamp, connected by trails of questionable safety". It was written by Andy Ravenscroft and is republished with his permission.

Of the 1970s scenarios I'm still looking for scans of a map and part of the key for Journey to the Center of the Circle and the scenario in The Apprentice #6

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:02 am 

I'm very pleased to be able to present the next in my series republishing original early D&D scenarios - Original Scenarios Resurrected IX: Kandroc Keep II (1980, Brian Asbury). This is the previously unpublished sequel to Kandroc Keep (which was #7 in my series) and the only known copy - a photocopy of the original manuscript prepared for publication before the publisher went bust - has languished in a drawer for the last 40 odd years. Kandroc Keep is a solitaire adventure, originally published as a stand alone scenario for a party. This is the second level, the entrance to which was included in the original Kandroc Keep. This was great fun to play through, and I'm very excited to be able to share it with you all.

<humour>I am considering a limited print run of the adventure, which will include grading. The module will be delivered to you already graded and entombed in plastic. This will ensure it is an instant collectible and will save you from ever having to read it.</humour>

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:40 pm 

JoeNuttall wrote in Compiling a list of 1970s scenarios:I'm very pleased to be able to present the next in my series republishing original early D&D scenarios - ....

I really like what you are doing by resurrecting old school D&D adventures.  Just recently, Eric Holmes allowed Pacesetter Games to publish an adventure he wrote and ran during the first years of D&D, Things Better Left Alone.  This was sold at the North Texas RPG Convention as a convention exclusive.  I personally would love to see more of these historic adventures made available to people who greatly appreciate what you are doing.

Would you consider perhaps a compilation of some or all of what you've already re-published to be sold as a convention exclusive at an upcoming NTX RPG CON?  If you need help actually publishing something like this, I'm guessing Pacesetter Games would be interested, but it is not required that you use them.  Call it, Original Scenarios Resurrected I through IX or whatever you want.  While I am on staff at the con, I do not make decisions about what is approved or done.  I just do what I am told.  However, I'd be happy to facilitate starting the communication about this idea with the leadership who does make these kinds of decisions.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:32 pm 

JoeNuttall wrote in Compiling a list of 1970s scenarios:I'm very pleased to be able to present the next in my series republishing original early D&D scenarios - Original Scenarios Resurrected IX: Kandroc Keep II (1980, Brian Asbury). This is the previously unpublished sequel to Kandroc Keep (which was #7 in my series) and the only known copy - a photocopy of the original manuscript prepared for publication before the publisher went bust - has languished in a drawer for the last 40 odd years. Kandroc Keep is a solitaire adventure, originally published as a stand alone scenario for a party. This is the second level, the entrance to which was included in the original Kandroc Keep. This was great fun to play through, and I'm very excited to be able to share it with you all.

<humour>I am considering a limited print run of the adventure, which will include grading. The module will be delivered to you already graded and entombed in plastic. This will ensure it is an instant collectible and will save you from ever having to read it.</humour>

Wow, excellent work - amazing!

Count me in for the limited print run!  I would like a 9.8 or higher, though.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:58 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Compiling a list of 1970s scenarios:
I really like what you are doing by resurrecting old school D&D adventures.  Just recently, Eric Holmes allowed Pacesetter Games to publish an adventure he wrote and ran during the first years of D&D, Things Better Left Alone.  This was sold at the North Texas RPG Convention as a convention exclusive.  I personally would love to see more of these historic adventures made available to people who greatly appreciate what you are doing.

Would you consider perhaps a compilation of some or all of what you've already re-published to be sold as a convention exclusive at an upcoming NTX RPG CON?  If you need help actually publishing something like this, I'm guessing Pacesetter Games would be interested, but it is not required that you use them.  Call it, Original Scenarios Resurrected I through IX or whatever you want.  While I am on staff at the con, I do not make decisions about what is approved or done.  I just do what I am told.  However, I'd be happy to facilitate starting the communication about this idea with the leadership who does make these kinds of decisions.   8)

Hi Ben. It's great that you've been enjoying it. I've thought carefully about this, and it would be great, but for now at least I think the answer has unfortunately to be no. I believe that the reason that I've managed to get authors so far to agree for their work to be republished has to a certain degree been because there is no money involved. It's always a possibility in the future when the series has run its course and I've run out of scenarios to publish (but note that all rights to the scenarios are retained by the authors).

As an aside I forgot to put at the bottom of my last post that of the 1970s scenarios I am still looking for scans of a map and part of the key for Journey to the Center of the Circle and the scenario in The Apprentice #6.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:21 am 

JoeNuttall wrote in Compiling a list of 1970s scenarios:
Hi Ben. It's great that you've been enjoying it. I've thought carefully about this, and it would be great, but for now at least I think the answer has unfortunately to be no. I believe that the reason that I've managed to get authors so far to agree for their work to be republished has to a certain degree been because there is no money involved. It's always a possibility in the future when the series has run its course and I've run out of scenarios to publish (but note that all rights to the scenarios are retained by the authors).

As an aside I forgot to put at the bottom of my last post that of the 1970s scenarios I am still looking for scans of a map and part of the key for Journey to the Center of the Circle and the scenario in The Apprentice #6.

While i understand the profitless nature of your activity (and really appreciate it!!), i miss why you do not consider to set up a printed version of these modules via drivethrurpg or similar POD providers. You can set 0 as a mark-up and make available a printed version at cost.
My 2 cents, ciaooo

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:23 am 

Ps: if you have no time or patience i can offer my help!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:46 pm 

Some of you may appreciate my latest post - I've done a comparison of Quest for the Fazzlewood with its revised version, O1: The Gem and the Staff.
I play tested it as a mini-tournament for my 4 players, and I've given a set of changes to make to the easily available O1 version to turn it into Quest for the Fazzlewood. This was possible because the modules are actually very similar, it's just that all the interesting bits of flavour were removed, so in the main I say what they were and where to add them back in.
The verdict? The original is a classic adventure, far better than the later revised version.

I'd like to do a similar comparison for all the 1970s modules that were republished, which would be possible for ToH, Tsoj and Tamoachan, but I haven't seen the original versions of Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, Rahasia (there was a pdf on the Dragonlance site but it was taken down), or Ghost Tower of Inverness (though I believe that had an unofficial reprint a few years back).

PreviousNext