Shadowwolf Enterprises Thrackinshaw's Codex
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:42 pm 

A fun find but I don't know what I found! Does this look familiar to anyone? It came in a lot of Dragonlance, Gazetteer, 1st edition modules and I cannot find any information on Shadowwolf Enterprises Springfield Ohio. No dates or copyright. 15 photocopied sheets with one of those plastic slip on school report bindings. 120 magical items, 3 spells, and 2 "Special Items"(magical items). Any help with this mystery would be most appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:22 pm 

Looks like a home made 'zine from the 90's. Home paste up and photocopied. Nice find.  :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:04 pm 

Who is the author? It’s not Tim Riley, is it? If so, there is a Tim Riley on Facebook who is married to a Marva Riley, and who is FB friends with a bunch of rpg industry folks: Kask, Easley, Rasmussen, Blackburn, etc. You could reach out to him...

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:25 pm 

Good lead, I'll follow up on that and let you know. There is no author listed just the thank you credits, but the one for Marva Riley could suggest the author is her husband.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:40 pm 

The authors were Tim and Marva Riley. Tim was kind enough to reply with some information. They lost their hard copies in a fire in May 2000 so I'll be sending him a scan.  "[Thrackinshaw's Codex]....produced in 1989 short print run of 50. We had ads in Dragon until 1990 when we opened the store call Wolf's Lair Game and sold everyone else game products. We had one other print product. A game setting called Alban along with small miniature holders and handmade dice bags." Thanks again for the lead Guy Fullerton, this was my first time contacting an author about their work and think it went pretty well.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:32 pm 

Nice.. I'm adding it t my want list;)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:23 am 

Clancy wrote in Shadowwolf Enterprises Thrackinshaw's Codex:The authors were Tim and Marva Riley. Tim was kind enough to reply with some information. They lost their hard copies in a fire in May 2000 so I'll be sending him a scan.  "[Thrackinshaw's Codex]....produced in 1989 short print run of 50. We had ads in Dragon until 1990 when we opened the store call Wolf's Lair Game and sold everyone else game products. We had one other print product. A game setting called Alban along with small miniature holders and handmade dice bags." Thanks again for the lead Guy Fullerton, this was my first time contacting an author about their work and think it went pretty well.

Could youpls ask them if they are willing to produce a scanned version for collectors (as usual numbered and signed)? I believe that if they think of print run of 25-50 copies, we could grant a sold-out here without any problem!
Ciaooo

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:48 pm 

So I've sent Tim a high quality scan of the codex and asked if he was interested in making up a limited numbered and signed print run. He said, "Sure." but figured I would try to gauge interest here. Also he said his wife is working on redoing the Alban stuff, none of which I've seen, but it has been added to my want list since hearing about it. So how many here would be interested in one of these Thrackinshaw's Codex reprints? Thoughts?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:39 pm 

I would be interested in one or two copies please :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:30 pm 

Clancy wrote in Shadowwolf Enterprises Thrackinshaw's Codex: So how many here would be interested in one of these Thrackinshaw's Codex reprints? Thoughts?

It would likely help people decide overall if they had a little more information.  

I think everyone is willing to pay enough to cover copying costs, postage and even some profit.  If you simply go black and white all the way and place in a similar "school binding," the total production cost is going to be less than $5.00 and Media Mail postage in the US is less than $3.00, so maybe a $10.00 cost per copy?  Of course there are costs for the envelopes and any time involved, so maybe $10 is low.  Somebody may ask if you'll have a PDF buying option, but I'm a hard copy kinda guy personally.

Or, maybe it's better to offer a package deal with the Thrackinshaw's Codex plus the Alban stuff all in one sale?  That way buyers don't pay for shipping twice if you/they are interested in selling that as well.

Also, it might be a good idea to have someone well known on these forums to serve as an editor/quality control person who can guide the numbering, autographing and/or perhaps the addition of a Certificate of Authenticity.  Another set of eyes can significantly improve the quality of everything.

You may want to describe the product a little more.  Is it a resource guide?  A setting? An adventure?  For what gaming system?  What rule set/edition?  What level characters if it's an adventure?  

I hope this feedback helps.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:49 pm 

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I'll invite Tim and Marva to join the forum so they can decide what they want to do moving forward with the reprint idea. I'm afraid I wouldn't be very helpful to the whole process outside of producing them a pdf of their lost work or possibly loaning them the copy I stumbled across if that were necessary, and directing them here. It is a cool small press item I'm sure others here would also appreciate. It would be neat if it was resurrected. Hopefully I can get Tim to chime in here if he does plan on a reprint.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:57 am 

I am in! ...and if the print run is not that low, with two copies!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:45 am 

I would buy one or both if they become available (which might help me find some originals).

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:51 am 

I'm in and if the print run is low, and to help with the postage abroad, I'd be up for two or more copies of anything you print.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:05 am 

Definitely in for both, just tell me the cost, not worried and don't want anyone to have to absorb a loss.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:54 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Shadowwolf Enterprises Thrackinshaw's Codex:I'm in and if the print run is low, and to help with the postage abroad, I'd be up for two or more copies of anything you print.

I’m a +1 for shipping to the UK

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:06 pm 

I would take a copy or 2(depending on cost).

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:38 pm 

Count me in as well!

Next