Dave Nalle has died
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:37 pm 

posted on rpgnet

Dave Nalle, producer of the Ysgarth roleplaying game (1979-1992) from Ragnarock Games and the Abyss Fanzine, an early D&D fanzine, has passed from complications of COVID-19.

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:03 am 

Sorry to hear that. Ysgarth continued to exist as Dave's printouts for his own campaign, which I played in around the turn of the century. My son's first D&D game was at one of his conventions. Will be missed.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:15 am 

:(

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:44 am 

I remember flipping through Dragon Mag as a kid and ordering a print copy of Blood Tribute, his first adventure module, for like two buck plus postage.  Found it interesting, but the physical quality was a step below Judges Guild.  Remained fascinated by his work and eventually acquired his Ysgarth system in various incarnations plus a few Abyss magazines.  I still have them, but they are all for sale atm.  Never played the system, but it is fascinating.

Rest In Peace Mr Nalle

Zardok

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:14 pm 

I stumbled onto the Ysgarth rules in the early 80s, purchased from a game store in Toronto. Was quite taken by it for a while, lugged it around with me constantly trying to figure it all out.

Even submitted some art for consideration, but being a naïve teen it was mostly tracings taken from famous fantasy art. Dave's stern rejection letter made me panic and toss it (letter and art) in the trash ASAP.

Have been reacquiring as much as I can as it comes up for sale, currently have a stack of Ragnarok booklets almost a foot tall.

RIP Mr. Nalle.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:23 am 

Fanzines didn't seem to be as much of a thing in the US and they were in the UK, but the Abyss was quite high quality in writing and content.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:48 pm 

Fanzines have always been a thing here in the UK, and I wonder how much of that is to do with the whole country being so damn small in comparison to everywhere else. Maybe it changes the national psyche or something. I remember a lot of schools used to do little small press zines for hobbies, like chess club, or the radio controlled plane club, and the local indie record store would carry UK zines for a lot of the bands or genres. There were even zines for pool players, particular beers, collectors of key rings, and local villages and churches gazettes. The internet killed all that sort of thing of course, except for maybe Watchtower. :D

In my high school the senior year ran the zine, and you could pay a donation to have someone, usually a teacher, delivered a paper plate full of whipped cream to the face. I suppose these days that’s assault and in some countries; handcuff time for the student and bankruptcy for the parents. I don’t think we’re that stupid over here yet, but we’re getting that way. But in the 80’s it was pretty common in our school, lighthearted fun, and from what I understand fairly common nationwide.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.