Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products
Author

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:49 am 

benjoshua wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:I would like to add Eye of the Eagle and Brimstone to this discussion.  Both of these were written by Tracy Hickman and published for a limited number of buyers.  I've never seen either of these come up on eBay.

Brimstone

Eye of the Dragon Photos

8)

They probably won't come up, as they were funded by a passionate group of investors and avid collectors.  There have been a couple of them sold at past conventions, for charity or otherwise, but it's doubtful there are many more left that will come up for sale anytime soon.  They are great products - a couple of modern rarities that were crafted in the old-school way, essentially identical to the method used for Daystar West Rahasia and Pharaoh, even using the original covers for Eye of the Dragon.

If someone is interested, you could try reaching out to Melnibonean or Stratochamp to see if there are any copies left.  It's been a while since anyone has inquired.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:24 am 

I haven't seen many Massconfusion tourneys since the author sold off his stock in 2014. But I imagine there's 100 copies of each or so.
Maybe I need to revisit my site and see if I can fit things into Common, Uncommon, Rare and Very Rare.
It could do with more complete descriptions and higher resolution images now that we're 15 years on from when it was last updated. :oops:
And I'd need to learn a new package to publish it on. Some browsers don't even support separate panes in windows.
What do beginners use for publishing websites these days? It would have to be wysiwyg. I'm far to old and impatient to learn to code.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:57 pm 

Strat nailed it on the head; in the old days it wasn't really about making a profit as much as owning something for a while and passing it on. Many of us used to trade or outright GIVE items to each other.
Stupidly rare......... several years ago I ran across a Black Vial in a boxed set I had. No idea how I missed it when I got the set. Aside from that one, I don't remember ever seeing another.
I saw Kalifax Supplement listed, and it is rarer than Kalifax, but Kali itself probably qualifies. Back when I acquired one I believe two or maybe three other collectors had it? Which reminds me, it seems I got TWO Kalifaxes. Ran across the other one a few months back. I haven't had the two hours to dedicate to going through to make sure it is complete.
Does infamy count? Or tourney mods from small cons? Quest for the Golden Orb would probably qualify.
I think I still have some Fantasy Factory stuff, DeepDelve/Overland Encounters items. Not sure if they qualify.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:44 pm 

Well, Deadlord, I am always one to help!  Instead of spending those two hours confirming the content of Kalifax, simply spend fifteen minutes mailing them to me and I will undertake that arduous task.  I will verify all pages are accounted for and mail both copies back to you.  I know, I am way too generous, but anything to help out a fellow gamer/collector!  Lol! Seriously though, I sent you a PM.  I am willing and able to make you a serious offer, cash or trade.  Hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:00 am 

Deadlord wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:... Strat nailed it on the head; in the old days it wasn't really about making a profit as much as owning something for a while and passing it on. Many of us used to trade or outright GIVE items to each other. ...

Haha. You are turning into a bunch of grumpy old men - be careful  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

Sure in the old days here there was smaller group of people here and now there are more (or I guess so it seems), but it is still good natured and *very* helpful, and someone here gave me a free game last year! Of course, ebay has changed in the last 10-20 years, more sellers think they have treasure instead of tat, and there is less chat (how the f**k do I pay this guy in this other country? How will he get it to me here? etc..) but it is safer and smoother. I say roll on towards the 50th Anniversary!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:54 pm 

Tabletop Warriors published in 1984, digest sized supplement only distributed in Texas. Several years later got some more from the original author, but his stock was destroyed in a flood. Maybe 50 or so are floating around out there, all in collector's hands.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... y-86387756

I know this sounds morbid, but as the original generation of RPG collector's die out, some of the hard to find stuff will become available again. Many wives, kids and relatives have no clue of value or they just don't care. At least two major collector's who have passed away in the last few years have left hoards of stuff behind. A local couple got lucky when a guy who worked for Martian Miniatures in the 70s died and left everything in his apartment, and no relatives. They were very lucky to have a friend who worked in an apartment cleaning business, recognized the hoard for what it was, and called them to come pick it up before it ended up in a dumpster (gasp!)  They made thousands of dollars off the windfall and a lot of rare stuff got distributed to collections. This is going to happen more and more in the future....sadly, many collectors still fail to communicate to relatives the actual worth and scarcity of what they are holding, or the relatives left holding the bag simply don't have the time or effort to get the value of the collection by selling it piece by piece. I guess the upside (?) is that instead of being locked away some of these beauties get out to the general public this way.

Mike B

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:32 am 

Badmike wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:Tabletop Warriors published in 1984, digest sized supplement only distributed in Texas. Several years later got some more from the original author, but his stock was destroyed in a flood. Maybe 50 or so are floating around out there, all in collector's hands.

A beautifully made book. When it appeared in Texas in the mid-'80s, its old-school design influenced me to find more of the old school.

Badmike wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:I know this sounds morbid, but as the original generation of RPG collector's die out, some of the hard to find stuff will become available again.

A part of the immortality of the souls of those collectors. Which makes us the priests.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:46 am 

Badmike wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:..., and called them to come pick it up before it ended up in a dumpster (gasp!) .

And then there's the packages that DHL send for destruction because they can't be bothered contacting the recipient.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:19 am 

Badmike wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:..sadly, many collectors still fail to communicate to relatives the actual worth and scarcity of what they are holding, or the relatives left holding the bag simply don't have the time or effort to get the value of the collection by selling it piece by piece.

That is why I'm currently going  through my collection piece by piece, and putting it in a Excel Database, with prices I paid for and original MSRP, along with other info.

Plus, it helps figure out how much my addiction ACTUALLY costs.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:54 am 

jkason wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:Plus, it helps figure out how much my addiction ACTUALLY costs.

Now that's something many of us might not wish to tell our spouses. :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:11 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:Now that's something many of us might not wish to tell our spouses. :D

Indeed!  And as more Esoteric Priests of Forgotten Lore transcend this earthly plane, more and more items will be lost, to tomb raiders and natural causes.  This will increase their scarcity but not necessarily their value.  It is the old guard that treasures them, and is willing to pay the high prices, for reasons of nostalgia, etc.  The new guard will only see them as a curiosity, and values will plummet.  One need only look at the car market for such evidence.  I for one have stopped collecting things due to rarity, and have instead focused on utility - if I do not feel it has a place in my game world, it has little value to me.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:59 am 

ZardokhasSpoken wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:
Indeed!  And as more Esoteric Priests of Forgotten Lore transcend this earthly plane, more and more items will be lost, to tomb raiders and natural causes.  This will increase their scarcity but not necessarily their value.  It is the old guard that treasures them, and is willing to pay the high prices, for reasons of nostalgia, etc.  The new guard will only see them as a curiosity, and values will plummet.  One need only look at the car market for such evidence.  I for one have stopped collecting things due to rarity, and have instead focused on utility - if I do not feel it has a place in my game world, it has little value to me.

All the more reason for people to archive such things digitally, so they are not lost to the ravages of poor planning, ambivalent spouses, and time.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:24 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:
All the more reason for people to archive such things digitally, so they are not lost to the ravages of poor planning, ambivalent spouses, and time.

Make sure you have that hard drive backed up!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:44 am 

ZardokhasSpoken wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:
Make sure you have that hard drive backed up!

I write to more than one. The problem is still the same though. If you get hit by a bus, your spouse sticks your external HDs in the bin. So you still need a sticker of your external HDs to say, 'send this to X and XXX in the event of my death'. Cos if you upload to cloud storage, no matter how secure or private, sooner or later your PDFs will end up going wild.

Of course you don't have the same problem with the current batch of RPGs or the OSR community in general, cos all of their stuff is already produced digitally and uploaded to DrivethruRPG or one of their other shopfronts, and there are hundreds of copies of their products already sold, so its really only the early d20 and previous that has an archival problem that will be depleted/eliminated over time.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:53 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:I write to more than one. The problem is still the same though. If you get hit by a bus, your spouse sticks your external HDs in the bin. So you still need a sticker of your external HDs to say, 'send this to X and XXX in the event of my death'. Cos if you upload to cloud storage, no matter how secure or private, sooner or later your PDFs will end up going wild.

Of course you don't have the same problem with the current batch of RPGs or the OSR community in general, cos all of their stuff is already produced digitally and uploaded to DrivethruRPG or one of their other shopfronts, and there are hundreds of copies of their products already sold, so its really only the early d20 and previous that has an archival problem that will be depleted/eliminated over time.

So what you are saying is you need my address.  :D

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:07 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:Now that's something many of us might not wish to tell our spouses. :D

I don't track what I spend.. plausible deniability

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:19 pm 

beasterbrook wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:
I don't track what I spend.. plausible deniability

... or an instinctive mechanism to avoid depression?
I look back at buying City of the Revenant in 2005 and the intervening 15+ years, and sometimes I ask myself what the F have I been doing all this time, and what have I actually achieved with my expended effort? I just know I'll find this thread again in another 15 years and realise I'm still expending time, money and effort doing the same things.

I came across more for the list...

The Golden Spire - A four page free adventure from Beast Entz circa. 1986. I know of 2 copies.
Byrony Royal Herald - A d20 Wilderlands inworld 'zine from James Mishler
The Snowcrystal Odyssey Series of Dungeons by Fantasy Aids Unlimited
The Warwick Supplements from The Warwick Working Party - I've still never seen a picture of Supplement 2
The World of Nimolae
Uncle Ebeneezer's Will from Metro Detroit Gamers

and maybe...
Pitfall by Inner City Games Design
Pegasus #14 from Judges Guild

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:25 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:... or an instinctive mechanism to avoid depression?

..no more like avoiding an epiphany that I spend too much on my "hobby".. I could be retired by now! :roll:

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

PreviousNext