Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:22 am 

I’ll start off with a short, off the top of my head, list of products not published by TSR/WotC I’ve only seen crop up once or twice in the past 15 years or so. And I’ll come back and add pictures and bibliography tomorrow.

RD1 Tale of the Ruby Dragon
NM1 The Upside Down Tower
The Eye of Beijing
The Expansion Pack to Kalifax
The Expansion Pack to Hidden Kingdom
The Golden Spire (Tortured Souls! freebie promo)

There was something by Naios (Sol and Rashangar) crop up recently, and also a newly discovered module from the publisher of Spider Mother and Lord Farrick’s Keep. I think we’ve seen two of those in the wild. I’d need to dig for info on. And of course NM2 which I have on good authority exists buy have never seen crop up anywhere.
I wonder how easy it is to program an auction hunter to do the same thing for non-TSR rarities.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:28 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:And of course NM2 which I have on good authority exists buy have never seen crop up anywhere.

Just wanted to confirm that it does exist. I bought a copy of NM1 and NM2 when the author was selling them on eBay circa 2001.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:00 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:
There was something by Naios (Sol and Rashangar) crop up recently

I posted about the The Hitchiker's Guide to Ragfallia No.1- Naois Publications? last year; it is a pretty neat item I picked up on eBay.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:37 pm 

smarmy1 wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:
I posted about the The Hitchiker's Guide to Ragfallia No.1- Naois Publications? last year; it is a pretty neat item I picked up on eBay.

Yep. That's the one. Beautiful item. I'd be in the running if you ever choose to sell it.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:54 pm 

totally missed that post somehow

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:43 pm 

I think you are referring to Mercury Games To the Aid of Dwarves. I had three; I sold one to Mars and one to someone else (Beasterbrook perhaps?).

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:51 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:Yep. That's the one. Beautiful item. I'd be in the running if you ever choose to sell it one.

The Acaeum when I joined was like that; Deadlord would sell something to BClarkie who would sell it to Killjoy who would sell it to Bombadil, who would hang on to it for a few years and then sell it to Harami. The collecting world has changed a lot in the last 15 years. Now people buy items and hold them in perpetuity (or until a nicer condition copy comes along).

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:08 am 

stratochamp wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:
The Acaeum when I joined was like that; Deadlord would sell something to BClarkie who would sell it to Killjoy who would sell it to Bombadil, who would hang on to it for a few years and then sell it to Harami. The collecting world has changed a lot in the last 15 years. Now people buy items and hold them in perpetuity (or until a nicer condition copy comes along).

Yep. I over paid a few times, most notably as I recall on a coverless PotVQ. But I guess we’ve all done it to one degree or other and that’s how we learn to gauge value. There seems to have been a greater number of discovered non-TSR items in the past 5 or 6 years though from back when I was building my collection. Some that I would have thrown a good amount of money to have been on the circulation for too. Unfortunately my collection had been culled and curtailed by then.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:08 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:I think you are referring to Mercury Games To the Aid of Dwarves. I had three; I sold one to Mars and one to someone else (Beasterbrook perhaps?).

I dont think so

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:42 pm 

I'll add a few. However, I haven't been anywhere near as active on eBay as I used to be, so perhaps one of these has come up in the last couple of years.

E'A
The Imliv River Valley
Krish Home
The Mystery of Wizard's Island (Silverdawn)
The Serpent of Me'Tal
The Stone of Sandor

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:59 pm 

Bracton wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:I'll add a few. However, I haven't been anywhere near as active on eBay as I used to be, so perhaps one of these has come up in the last couple of years.

E'A
The Imliv River Valley
Krish Home
The Mystery of Wizard's Island (Silverdawn)
The Serpent of Me'Tal
The Stone of Sandor

Haven't seen or heard of most of those.  Should be fun searching for E'A.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:11 am 

...and what about What price glory?!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:03 am 

Krish Home ($37 at NobleKnight right now)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:32 am 

Sometimes price in RPGs reflects the quality of the product and not just rarity.  :lol:

Still, it's interesting that NK has it listed so low. Then again, the fact that no one has bought it anyway says something.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:48 am 

Bracton wrote in Stupidly Rare Non-TSR Products:
Sometimes price in RPGs reflects the quality of the product and not just rarity.  :lol:

Still, it's interesting that NK has it listed so low. Then again, the fact that no one has bought it anyway says something.

I considered it. I'd only be buying it to scan it and sell it back into the market. Given the shipping to the UK, and the odds of someone buying it for more than $20 if I did put it on eBay, that puts a cost of about $40-50 on me creating the PDF. That sort of loss is not worth it in exchange for a 'zine module.
Aia picked up something much more interesting at NKG. I'll need to add those to my want list.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:35 pm 

also that copy is the missing the pullout illustrations so you would have track those down somehow

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:06 pm 

being incomplete mean someone would prob have to buy the next one that is.. makes it a bit pointless.. I have bought incomplete things before.. but its pretty rare.. would rather wait for a complete one

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:31 am 

Yep. Still missing the centrefold map sheet from my Notnaidag Robbers Headquarters. Anyone who can give me a copy, it would be most welcome.

Next