Art & Arcana:  A Visual History of D&D
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:12 pm 

In case folks haven't seen the latest previews of this, which are starting to be posted as review and comp copies arrive:  Art & Arcana -- Greyhawk Grognard

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:11 pm 

Oh wow, that is pretty cool. I will be ordering a deluxe, thanks for the heads up.

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:24 am 

This is soooooo nice.
Can I justify buying another useless book I don't need?! (Yep, already justified it 8O )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:20 pm 

When you see the book, you may spot in the acknowledgments a nod "To the community on the Acaeum, the premier website for Dungeons & Dragons collectors." So on behalf of the authors, thanks to everyone here for years of dedicated research into the history of D&D.

Several people here contributed images or sources directly to this project - stratochamp, grodog, Collector's Trove, ExTSR, and so on. Many others here sold product to me and others that ended up being scanned for the project.  So really, thanks!

Author of Playing at the World, The Elusive Shift, Game Wizards co-author of D&D Art & Arcana and Heroes's Feast

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:26 pm 

I'm looking forward to getting this!  I preordered my super nifty deluxe one with all the wonderful bits a while back.  Later this month I'll peruse.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:30 pm 

My copies arrived today, I've been flipping through the standard edition this evening :D

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 am 

Hey Allan, am i wronb or the release date i read was 23rd?!? How dif you manage to have the book today?
Ciaoo

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:08 am 

aia wrote in Art & Arcana:  A Visual History of D&D:Hey Allan, am i wronb or the release date i read was 23rd?!? How dif you manage to have the book today?

Contributor copies (includes me) and reviewer/press copies (not me) were mailed early, Axel.

Allan.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:34 pm 

Saw this today - there is a 'B & N Exclusive edition'

Dungeons and Dragons Art and Arcana: A Visual History (B&N Exclusive Edition) by Michael Witwer,  Kyle Newman,  Jon Peterson,  Sam Witwer |, Hardcover | Barnes & Noble®

Apparently it has a few different and/or additional pics or things in it.

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:48 am 

Comparing product details, there are 18 more pages in the B&N edition ... thanks for the heads-up  8)

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:01 am 

To my eternal joy I was gifted and copy of the super duper version (suitable note of thanks to follow when I can find words enough.)

I keep trying to write a review or some kind of objective missive about this bit it always seems a but trite and hollow. Bottom line is; if you are a member here then you should own this. Frankly it is just a wonderful physical artifact. Don't delay, buy one today.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:35 am 

gyg wrote in Art & Arcana:  A Visual History of D&D:To my eternal joy I was gifted and copy of the super duper version (suitable note of thanks to follow when I can find words enough.)

I keep trying to write a review or some kind of objective missive about this bit it always seems a but trite and hollow. Bottom line is; if you are a member here then you should own this. Frankly it is just a wonderful physical artifact. Don't delay, buy one today.

Ditto!
I am however in trouble... Yesterday it arrived and with disappointment i found that it is in shrink... Now i have it on my desk and i am still on the edge whether or not to open it... I am too curious... At the end i thi k i will remove the shrink (and my doubts) in the weekend!
Ciaoo

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:07 pm 

Received mine last night, and it really is a fantastic tome.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:05 pm 

I got a review copy and wrote a (n Italian language) review of the book. It's a fine book that I heartily recommend!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:25 pm 

+1 to the list of happy purchasers... highly recommended :)  I picked up the limited edition.  I love the LBB layout of the 1975 Tomb of Horrors!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:49 pm 

Ah... now I am forced to spend more money!  lol  This looks nice!  :-D  Cool that the Acaeum got credited.

~Kat  ^_^

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:15 am 

I got the special edition too, and although haven't gone through it all yet, I am very happy with it, interesting red and fantastic art.

Thanks,
Jorge

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:14 pm 

What I liked:

- OD&D art and products, original ToH adventure, stories of TSR and pre-TSR building the business
- a pretty even-handed account, based on what I think I know, of the challenges during early 80s growth and Gygax's loss of control.
- picture of Stratochamp & his library of 'god's copies'
- Curt Gould with the Holmes cover painting. Wow.
- considering Gygax's role founding GenCon for which it seems he deserves more credit. Who launches one culture shifting phenomenon, much less two. Double wow.

What I could have missed:

- boy the text got defensive during the 4e period, talking about how the game *had* to transform to support digital play. I think there could have been more critical analysis.
- the 5e marketing copy, err, summary was pretty thick: "Mud tracked all the way from the swamps of Blsckmoor soak the boots of adventurers in this new generation". Ick.

But the art, and the little featuettes of the artists, really really fantastic.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Next