Traveller Modules
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:11 am 

YI, that auction was for The Classic Books, the authorized reprint of the core rulebooks.  The person in question did not get that good of a deal, as 404 Not Found lists that book for $28.00.  Shipping and handling for a hardcover RPG I bought through the mail was about $3.00, so really, why wait when you can get the reprint now?

Oh, I did not know that.  I'm more than willing to buy the reprints.

Thank you!  I'm assuming this link takes me there.  Thanks again.

:)

Regards,

Stephen

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:48 am 

Thanks to everyone (Traveller in particular) for the very helpful discussion on this thread. I'm selling my classic Traveller books via ebay and this thread has been very useful. I've already shipped off the Alien Modules, and right now Books 4-8 are for sale (i.e., Robots, Scouts, etc.):  

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 8&rd=1

I've been providing a link on the ebay listing back to this thread, so that prospective buyers can get a sense of what things are worth. I hope no one objects to this...

The Traveller Book, Spinward Marches and Alien Realms will be the next to go.

Someone posted earlier about a copy of an Alien Module for which the cover was not stapled to the text pages. My K'Kree module was just like this. The cover did not rip off -- it came this way from the store.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:17 pm 

Thanks for that clarification about the alien module.  I didn't have my copy of Alien Module 1 readily available so I wasn't 100% sure about that.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:43 pm 

Does anyone know what the difference is between
"Special Supplement 1 - Merchant Prince" and
"Book 7 - Merchant Prince"?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:36 pm 

Book 7: Merchant Prince is a reprinting of Special Supplement 1: Merchant Prince from the Journal of the Traveller's Aide Society.  From what I recall, not having the reprint volume in front of me, there were some changes made to the trade and commerce section of Special Supplement 1 and the revised whole became Book 7.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:44 pm 

Thanks.  I have Book 7 and have recently bid on SS1 as I had not seen it before.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5963001957

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:39 am 

Is there a good site or page that lists the GDW catalog for Traveller so I have a checklist for completing a collection?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:25 pm 

Illustrated Traveller Bibliography - Table of Contents

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:51 pm 

Great site.  Thanks :wink:

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:16 am 

Traveller, I was hoping to get your opinion about pricing for two things. I have copies of the Traveller Book (although it does not have the dust jacket) and the Spinward Marches campaign, both in very fine condition. I'm planning on listing them on ebay but I'm trying to get a reasonable sense of their value. What are your thoughts?

Thanks very much.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:20 pm 

Limbic, The Spinward Marches Campaign should fetch between $50 and $60 in decent condition, possibly more if it's really stellar.

You have my sympathies regarding the lost dustjacket for The Traveller Book.  When I graded my own copy in one of the other threads, I graded the dustjacket and the book seperately from each other.  I did it as an example to show the valuation board how the book grading scale I use could be used to determine prices on components, since apparently no one liked the idea of something missing parts grading no better than Poor.

*shrugs*

If you're missing a dustjacket, the book technically cannot grade higher than fair, since it was issued with a dustjacket.  Mine, even considering how I graded it for the example I noted above, doesn't grade higher than good due to the damage to the dustjacket.  The funny thing is that even with the missing dustjacket, you could easily get $30 for the book, as the RPG collectible market is only just starting.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:24 pm 

Do the GDW 120 series games have some form of interest in collecting?

I recently cleared the basement of my ex-wife - where I had some gaming material - lot of Avalon Hill and SPI (including a nice pair of Swords and Sorcery and a complete Lord of the Rings with the two gamettes), and I found out my old Traveller RPG box with supplements 1,2,3 and 6 plus book 4 and 5.

On the same box there were those two games, Snapshot and Dark Nebula.

Do someone know something about them?
Any info would be appreciated.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:28 pm 

A frequent poster on the forum here recently (very recently) made a killing on a Traveller buy at a local used bookstore.  I was there to witness Aneoth purchase a bundle of older Traveller, including all the Alien modules and a huge stack of the older booklets, for $40!  Fess up Aneoth and give us a list of what you got, you may get some offers you can't refuse..... :D Even with the reprint volumes the older booklets have quite a neat, nostalgic look about them that make them very collectible....
  Myself I got there late but was able to pull a GURPS Traveller Behind the Claw and First In off the shelf for half price.  Already sold the Behind the Claw for what I thought was a pretty fair BIN. I have some other GURPS Traveller items if anyone is interested...I'm hoping to get my boxed sets of Striker, Mayday, and some 2300 stuff up next week...

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... T&rd=1
Here are ones I still have for sale:

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:00 pm 

rosenkav wrote:Do the GDW 120 series games have some form of interest in collecting?

I recently cleared the basement of my ex-wife - where I had some gaming material - lot of Avalon Hill and SPI (including a nice pair of Swords and Sorcery and a complete Lord of the Rings with the two gamettes), and I found out my old Traveller RPG box with supplements 1,2,3 and 6 plus book 4 and 5.

On the same box there were those two games, Snapshot and Dark Nebula.

Do someone know something about them?
Any info would be appreciated.

I don't know much about the GDW games, but I do know that Snapshot has two versions, boxed and polybagged (if I recall correctly).  Unfortunately, since I tend to specialize in Traveller itself, I can't give you a price for those.  However I do believe the Traveller Trader (http://www.travellertrader.com) has a copy of Snapshot for sale.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:31 pm 

Badmike wrote: A frequent poster on the forum here recently (very recently) made a killing on a Traveller buy at a local used bookstore. I was there to witness Aneoth purchase a bundle of older Traveller, including all the Alien modules and a huge stack of the older booklets, for $40! Fess up Aneoth and give us a list of what you got, you may get some offers you can't refuse..... :D Even with the reprint volumes the older booklets have quite a neat, nostalgic look about them that make them very collectible.... Mike B.

Sigh.... can't keep secrets around this place.....

I was planning on reading them to see if I would be interested in taking up Traveller the RPG. At the price I paid for the books listed below, I figured that it wouldn't hurt to keep them to myself at least long enough to read them and think on it.

Before now, I had not seriously thought of getting into Traveller. I thought it would mean too much money invested in something I did not know if I would like or not. But when I saw all of those books shrink wrapped into in two large packs, I could not resist the pull.

To tell the truth, I would have been far more comfortable to have found that many First Edition TSR Items of similar value and condition, since I know something about them and furthermore, I am still looking for many First Edition TSR Items as my own collection is still quite small with many holes that need filling.

Aneoth's newly acquired Traveller Items:
36 Traveller Books. All but one are soft cover and 23 are the smaller versions.
I think they may be from the First Edition? How can you tell if they are reprints, or originals?
The Supplements are dated from 1978-1983, and the other books range in dates from 1978-1986.

The Traveller Book: Hardbound book; used condition, the cover is clean; all four corners are rounded with some concave warp to the book.
The inside of the book is in very nice condition, some writing on a few pages (mostly underlining in pencil).

The Atlas of the Imperium: Star Maps for 35 Sectors in an Around the Imperium. The book is used but still in good condition with some writing and several highlighted areas on some of the maps. Highlighted Maps: 4-12; 13, 15-21, 23-25

Journals:
The best of the Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society; Volumes, 1, 2, 3 and 4.
The Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society Vol. 23

Original Manuals:
Book 4 Mercenary
Book 5: High Guard
Book 6: Scouts
Book 7: Merchant Prince
Book 8: Robots

Supplements 1-4; and 6-13:
1) 1001 Characters
2) Animal Encounters
3) The Spinward Marches
4) Citizens of the Imperium

6) 76 Patrons
7) Traders and Gunboats
8) Library Data (A-M)
9) Fighting Ships
10) The Solomani Rim
11) Library Data (N-Z)
12) Forms and Charts
13) Veterans

Adventures:
The Traveller Adventure: Vol. 2; No. 202
Adventure 8: Prison Planet
Double Adventure 2: Across the Bright Face and Mission on Mithril
Alien Module 1: No. 204; Aslan
Alien Module 2: No. 255; K'kree
Alien Module 3: No. 257; Vargr
Alien Module 4: No. 258; Zhodani
Alien Module 5: No. 259; Droyne
Alien Module 6: No. 260; Solomani
Alien Module 7: No. 263; Hivers
Alien Module 8: No. 264; Darrians

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:50 pm 

Aneoth, for the LBB's (Little Black Books), the easy indicator is on the front of the book.  Take a look at the byline underneath the title.  Where the word "in" is located is a good indicator as to whether you have an early printing or not.

So, if you have an early print, it will be this way.

TRAVELLER
Science-Fiction Adventure in
the Far Future

Otherwise, it will be like this.

TRAVELLER
Science-Fiction Adventure
in the Far Future

Atlas of the Imperium I believe had but one print run.
The Traveller Book is missing its dustjacket.
Volumes 1-4 of The Best of JTAS is a good find.
I've already mentioned books 6, 7, and 8 in an earlier post and mentioned that Citizens of the Imperium (Supplement 4) is the most popular supplement.
The adventures aren't all that valuable, but you got an entire set of the alien modules.

A good haul for $40, as Atlas of the Imperium alone commands a $60 price if fortunate.  I recommend trying the system out and generate a few characters so you too can experience the thrill of having a character die during generation.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:53 pm 

Traveller wrote:Atlas of the Imperium I believe had but one print run.
The Traveller Book is missing its dustjacket.
Volumes 1-4 of The Best of JTAS is a good find.
I've already mentioned books 6, 7, and 8 in an earlier post and mentioned that Citizens of the Imperium (Supplement 4) is the most popular supplement.
The adventures aren't all that valuable, but you got an entire set of the alien modules.

A good haul for $40, as Atlas of the Imperium alone commands a $60 price if fortunate. I recommend trying the system out and generate a few characters so you too can experience the thrill of having a character die during generation.

Aneoth;

LOL, see, I wasn't joking!!!!

Book 8 Robots was in almost perfect shape if I remember correctly, unfortunately Atlas was heavily marked up. But all in all a great haul!

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:28 am 

Traveller wrote:I recommend trying the system out and generate a few characters so you too can experience the thrill of having a character die during generation.

Too funny, I remember that.

As a matter of fact, the spouse-unit (who has loved Traveller since it came out) was PEEVED when the T20 rules didn't have a chance to die during creation (you can only be maimed ;) ).

Her opinion - It's not Traveller if I can't fear death while rolling up a character.  8)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

PreviousNext