Traveller Modules
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:21 pm 

Did the FFE reprints make a big difference in price for the market?  I know that I lost a lot of interest in collecting individual LBBs once I could get the reprints (I guess that's the difference between a collector and archivist...)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:16 pm 

In my view, the reprints didn't make a dent in the prices for three reasons.  One reason is that the books, at least the first four or five, just aren't all that popular due to size (11 1/2" wide by 8 1/2" tall).  While good as an archival reference, there are also some quality issues (the second reason) with The Classic Short Adventures, The Classic Games, and The Classic Aliens.

The Classic Short Adventures has one adventure's page order totally jumbled up to the point where it's exceedingly difficult to even use it.

The Classic Games forgot some of its color plates of counters for the games.

The Classic Aliens is missing a page from the Droyne alien module.

Also, for the really really scarce volumes, some of the material is being updated and changed, making it not so much a reprint, but a reissue.

The third reason is that the reprint volumes are very pricey, relatively speaking.  The Classic Games is the most expensive of the reprints at $49.95, due to all the color printing within the book.  The least expensive is The Classic Books (the core rules), at $28.00.  The remainder hover around $35.00.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:19 pm 

cavscout761 wrote:Thanks again Traveller.
I don't have a web site of my own and have no idea how to create one. I will try and send you one via PM and see if it works.

When in doubt, email a member of the valuation board those scans. I don't have my email publicly available by choice, but I do have a link to my home page, and hiding in there is an email link. You can always email me those pics.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:23 pm 

Shame to hear about those problems.  Last I heard Marc had licensed the IP for it to someone to make a game?  Anyone know the status of that?  I think it was PlayNet but I'm not sure.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:26 am 

He licensed the Traveller IP to QuickLink Interactive.  They produced an adaptation of Traveller which used the online Grip client.  They also produced the bastard child of the Traveller line, and the only version of Traveller I definitely will not buy, T20, which is d20 Traveller.

The MegaTraveller properties that Digest Group Publications wrote are not part of Marc's IP, which is why he can't reprint them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:43 pm 

I hope our resident Traveller expert can answer this for me:

I have Alien Module 1 Aslan and Module 2 K'kree, both of which have their covers not attached. I looked for holes in the spine to see if the staples had pulled out, but there are no holes in them at all. They are in good shape but I am wondering if it is normal to find these with covers not attached?

Thanks!

Scouts out!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:20 pm 

I might not be the resident Traveller expert but I have multiple copies of these purchased at different times and they are all stapled through the cover.  Maybe coincidence, earlier/later printing, or a regional thing...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:38 pm 

cavscout, send me a picture of the spine?  Also, depending on how worn the spine is, the holes may have "disappeared" due to the paper flaking away.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:15 pm 

Traveller,

My camera takes really bad close ups so I will try and scan the spines and send them to you. Both sides so you can really see them.

Thanks again!

Scouts out!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:41 pm 

Not a problem.  I'm just trying to recall whether my copy of Aslan had the cover stapled or not.  I think it was stapled, but I just don't recall.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:41 pm 

Neat, US $26.05  I need to look for some more.  I needed to get

#

Book 6 Scouts

#

Book 7 Merchant Prince

#

Book 8 Robots

and never did.

Regards,

Stephen

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:27 pm 

Traveller wrote:He licensed the Traveller IP to QuickLink Interactive. They produced an adaptation of Traveller which used the online Grip client.

I thought he had licensed it for someone to make a computer game, like a massively multiplayer type game, etc?  That not ring a bell?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:24 pm 

If he did, then the project is total vaporware to the best of my knowledge.

As far as I know, the only licensed computer properties for Traveller are:

Traveller Navigator

MegaTraveller: The Zhodani Conspiracy

MegaTraveller 2: Quest for the Ancients

And then there is the Traveller package for Grip that includes Books 1-3 in Windows Help format (I think.  I don't have this package.)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:35 am 

Is there any price differential between the GDW books 5 3/4"x8 3/4" and the Games Workshops prints which are slightly smaller 5 3/4" x 8 1/4" ?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:54 am 

johnhuck wrote:Is there any price differential between the GDW books 5 3/4"x8 3/4" and the Games Workshops prints which are slightly smaller 5 3/4" x 8 1/4" ?

Don't know, but if the smaller ones are more valuable I'm going to start auctioning scissors.  :twisted:

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:20 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
johnhuck wrote:Is there any price differential between the GDW books 5 3/4"x8 3/4" and the Games Workshops prints which are slightly smaller 5 3/4" x 8 1/4" ?

Don't know, but if the smaller ones are more valuable I'm going to start auctioning scissors. :twisted:

:lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:04 pm 

It's the same information and the same look.  The only way to tell they're any different is to check the copyright page for a mention of Games Workshop.  I would say that there would be no difference in price, especially given that Books 1-5 aren't all that valuable due to high print runs.  It wasn't until you got to Book 6 that the print runs tailed off dramatically.

Speaking of print runs, Book 4 had 23 printings and Book 5 had 17.  Both of those books went "Gold" (in publishing standards, selling 100,000 copies).  The core rules, while selling over 100,000 copies, were split up into four different sets (Basic, Deluxe, Starter, and The Traveller Book), so the core rules aren't dignified with having gone "Gold".

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:16 am 

Traveller wrote:

It's the same information and the same look. The only way to tell they're any different is to check the copyright page for a mention of Games Workshop. I would say that there would be no difference in price, especially given that Books 1-5 aren't all that valuable due to high print runs. It wasn't until you got to Book 6 that the print runs tailed off dramatically.

Speaking of print runs, Book 4 had 23 printings and Book 5 had 17. Both of those books went "Gold" (in publishing standards, selling 100,000 copies). The core rules, while selling over 100,000 copies, were split up into four different sets (Basic, Deluxe, Starter, and The Traveller Book), so the core rules aren't dignified with having gone "Gold".

Neat, I'm glad to know that.

BTW, I'd be glad to pay $25.00 for a serviceable (good quality or so) set of:

Book 4 Mercenary
Book 6 Scouts
Book 7 Merchant Prince
Book 8 Robots

I'd be glad to toss in a Book 5 High Guard (in paying for them, in addition to cash) if I had to (I have the 3 core rule books, printing 1 like everyone else, a five which looks like an 8 or 9, and Adventure 12, but I always meant to get books 6, 7 and 8 and perhaps the mercenary guide as well).

Was neat to get the books back out and read through them, and to remember I'd put my copy of TYR's Bushido in with them (to keep the box full so it wouldn't beak down).

Guess I need to get on to e-bay and start bidding. I just want copies to read (I'm feeling guilty about some e-bay "reading" books I got that were pristine before they got out of the shrink wrap).

I've put some starter e-bay bids, but remember hearing from someone here about excess volumes in their collectoin.

Regards,

Stephen

PreviousNext