Abbeta rpg
Author

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:23 am 

Howdy again,  i refer to this item i won in the recent past:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/ABBETA-RPG-quot- ... 2627294602

So i read some parts of the module and these are the main points with ref to your questions/ comments in the fun finding thread:

1. Abbeta is the setting of a game called FPA (Fantasy Play Area) by Martin Hackett

2. The setting is the planet Abbeta. There are "disturbances"across all the planet but detail will be explained in a supplement (a kind of gaz).

3. The module i won is the first of a series of six modules (namely the titles from the second onwards: to be a king,  red river valley,  olventract,  the court of the count of canara, the death of a warrior)

4. The game system is not yet published at time of the release of the first module

5. I havent found any ref to a SF game,  i d rather say it is a FRPG: in the module there are refs to men at arms,  dwarves, kobolds (with powerful spelllike abilities btw! ) and "hobs" (elves who abandoned the elven lifestyle and are now part of society)

6. In the last page there is the addres of the author at that time: Winnersh Workingham in Berkshire

Hope it helps
Ciaoo

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:28 am 

you stole that;)

I have the first 2 modules, I don't think any more were produced (I could be proven wrong though). Abbeta rpg was.. I don't have a copy though

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:29 pm 

My main question is: has the FPA rpg ever been issued?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:49 pm 

Not clear that anything called "Fantasy Play Area" was ever published, but there are references to a game from around this time called Abbeta: Fantasy Role-Playing Rules For In The Twinflare Solar System. Whether this is really fantasy or SF appears somewhat unclear.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:19 am 

tool wrote in Abbeta rpg:Not clear that anything called "Fantasy Play Area" was ever published, but there are references to a game from around this time called Abbeta: Fantasy Role-Playing Rules For In The Twinflare Solar System. Whether this is really fantasy or SF appears somewhat unclear.

I read a bit more in depth some parts of the module:

A. The term FPA is not referred to the game system,  it is a synonim of module (thus the module i won is called FPA1 by the author)

B. It is not clear the name of the game: whether Abbeta or not... Not clear if this set of rules has been ever published

C. The game is definitely fantasy,  no refs so far to any SF feature (nor weapons neither vehicles)... There are elves and dwarves and they fight against skeletons with axes swords and flails... I d say that the entry in the rpg encyclopedia is not correct

D. The author writes that thesmall planet in the Twinflare is the setting of this game,  i do confirm it but this is for one reason: in order to explain the local calendar system (5 days in a week,  4 w in a month,  20 m in a year)... Imho this detail of the solar system could have lead to a misunderstanding those who wrote the entry about the SF genre...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:55 am 

Brette indicated in this thread, and I indicated in the other thread, that yes, Abbeta was published.

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:37 pm 

Agreed. 2 modules + core.

The other module and core book sold by the same seller at the end of December.